WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #8 of 317 things to do in Honolulu
Honolulu
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Interesting spot, nice trees and shrubs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a short hike inside a crater, which is very interesting. The best part is a grove of plumeria trees--go when they are blooming, anytime but the depths of winter. They are picked for Memorial Day lei, so don't go just after that holiday.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Corpus Christi, Texas
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Worth it for the view at the top!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

I found out about this trail and just wanted to do it to be able to say I had done it. The hike is definitely a workout and more difficult than Diamond Head or other trails in the area but it's worth it just for the views at the top.

Make sure and take water and wear good shoes.

Visited August 2012
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Beautiful views and great workout!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

After hearing about this from a local and climbing Diamond head 4 times in 7 days I knew I had to try this. I opted to not let my 12 and 14 yr old sons do this. Glad I made that decision. My cousin and I started this at 7am. It took us approximately 35-40min to get to top. We made a few stops. It's treachourous in spots. No where to hang on to like Diamond head. You are basically climbing straight up a old railroad ties and all. I am in shape I can walk 8 miles a day and I do 2 hours on my elliptical a day. But this made me sweat. I have bad motion sickness and didn't have my motion sickness patch on that day so vertigo hit me about 3/4 way up. So that took a few minutes to make sure I wasn't going to get sick. Toughed out the motion sickness and glad I did. So if you have motion sickness you may want to prepare.
The views are beautiful. You may need 2 bottles of water and start early. Climb up all the way and carefully follow the trails to the views. Great photo ops. The climb down was tricky. I don't suggest kids or hiking with a kid on your back. It's hard enough watching your own footing in spots it wouldn't be fun worrying about kids. And I think the climb is too steep to have a kid on your back.
Can't wait to do it again.

2 Thank michiganchic79
San Diego, California
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“awesome view and great workout”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

The climb is steep but it is a relatively short hike. It took me around 40 minutes to go up and 30 minutes to come down. Would recommend one to carry some water and/or sports drink. I saw many people carrying bottles in hand though it is better to have a small backpack in order to maintain good stability.

The view from the top was awesome. I got my best pictures in Honolulu from there.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Sandeep420
Pacific Junction, Iowa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a great workout, but take water!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

The path is a little unstable in places, but the view is breathtaking no matter how far up you make it.

Visited March 2013