“I made it!!!!”

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“I made it!!!!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

That was a tuff climb in the middle of the day, great workout for your legs and cardio.It also gives great views of Hanauma bay and the west side of Oahu. This climb is not for everyone, but even if you only make it half way up they view will be worth it. Take lots of water.

2 Thank jonnyru49

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Challenge overcome!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Koko Head Crater was on my list of things to do while I was in Oahu several weeks. I set out to climb it one Saturday morning and was a little intimidated by it at first glance. A third of the way up I thought, "I can't finish this!" two thirds of the way up I though, "This is going to kill me!" and at the top I was glad to be alive and to have finished. I did sprain my wrist on the way down because the gravel and dirt is very loose and the train tressel is gappped. This is NOT AN EASY CLIMB. Only for healthy and determoined people. No shade and only a straight dusty uphill climb. Take a hat and plenty of water.

Visited July 2012
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Accomplishment!”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I was taken here by a friend who used to live in Honolulu. I read up on the reviews before the hike and to be honest thought all the hype about the hike being really difficult was just a bunch of whingeing by lazy american tourists. How wrong I was! The hike is actually quite difficult! Hard, in fact.

Ive been on 7 hour treks up mountains but in a way this was tougher because it is relentless, steep, stairs that burn your legs and get your heart racing. And it gets steeped the further up you go, cranking up the pain right until the end. There were some fit military guys in our group and even they had to stop several times along the way. You will encounter others along the way in alllll sorts of pain battling their way up. Facial expressions you didn't know existed haha.

Having said all of that it has been a real highlight of the trip so far. The views were fantastic and it was the perfect counterbalance to lying by the pool all day. You will leave with a real sense of accomplishment knowing that you conquered look head!

1 Thank James M
Bentonville, Arkansas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Bucket List!”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

If you are an avid trail hiker, you MUST put this hike on your bucket list! There is nothing else like it anywhere that I am aware of! Be warned, you better be in good shape before you attempt it.

Visited May 2013
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Love the views, definitely a vigorous workout.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Koko head trail is a somewhat short very steep trail made from a world war 2 era rail path. As you go up the trail it gets steeper and steeper. The railroad ties function as steps. There is a bridge about midway but you can use a trail to the side if your uncomfortable with the bridge. At top there are a few bunkers and places you can hang out to watch the beautiful views and take a seat to rest before steep descent down. Overall I loved it and would do it again. I made a day of snorkeling at Hanauma bay and hiking Koko head since they are so close to each other.

1 Thank Midnightsmoker37