“Oh my legs!!”

$169.00*
Hawaii Five-0 TV Locations Tour
Ranked #8 of 333 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I wanted to do some hiking on this trip and my friend recommended that I give Koko Head a go... I consider myself to be in fairly good shape. I do cardio at least 5 times a week, at a good pace for 40-60 minutes and this was a challenge for me and a great workout. Going up I had to stop a couple of times and although I don't consider myself to be afraid of heights I felt a little shaky at some points along the way. I was really sweating when I made it to the top but I felt great and the view from top is spectacular. I'd have to say there are two reasons to tackle this hike.... burning calories and the view.

A few tips... do take water, do wear appropriate footwear, take a break when you need it, take your time coming down, you will be sweaty hands and all so you might want to bring a small backpack or something to carry your water, camera, keys ect...

For some reason my GPS did not take me to the right place for this hike... I recommend using Kok Head Park Rd or Koko Head Park... it should take you right to the baseball field and you just walk around it to find the trail.

I'm hoping I can still walk tomorrow...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,027)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

2nd time around and it is day 2, and not until tonight did I feel the after effects!
Admittedly I am not in the best shape, but there is nothing like the sense of accomplishment when you take the last step from the last railroad tie and with weak knees say - OH YES I DID!
being passed by others is not of concern. slow and steady - take water, know your limits, and try not to do it in the heat of the day.
*** an added bonus is the view at the VERY top, where the wind is the heaven at the top of that stairway!
WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!

1  Thank missywould
Reviewed May 15, 2013

"This sh** was hard." Someone scrawled that across one of the stones at the top of Koko Head. It is true. I was in decent shape when we climbed/hiked up Koko Head. I am not a workout freak by any means though. There were some people running up and down it like it was an escalator. That was not me. I had to stop often to make it up to the top. Take a huge bottle of water!!! I am talking one of those big Hawaii brand waters. Better yet if you have a camelbak it would be very beneficial here. I sweat a lot so I ran out of water by the time I reached the top. I saw some people taking their children up to the top and wishing half way up that they had never brought them. If your child is not used to walking a lot and is under the age of 8 I don't recommend it. The view is WORTH IT!!!!! Just do it!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

After driving out towards hanauma bay I saw what looked like stairs so when I got back to the hotel I had to google it and find out what it was! Once we figured out how to get there we went for it! We did not bring water or snacks we just put on our runners and gave it! It was pretty easy to do till about stair 850 and then I felt like I wanted to vomit! That being said we made it to the top in about 28 mins or less! I would recommend it as it was a fun challenge but there is no need to run it! I saw all ages of people on the trail. But please wear appropriate footwear you just look ridiculous in flip-flops. Enjoy the hike and the 1100+ stairs all the way to a stunning view! To find it I just put KoKo Head Crater Park in the GPS and then we came to some ball fields. To find the trail go behind the ball field along a skinny dirt path, through a little ditch and then there is a cleaning and I took a right, up towards the trail and soon came to the bottom of the "stairmaster"!!!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is an old railroad track that goes up the side of a volcano. It is mostly steps on the ties, but they are not even. This was the first time I climbed Koko Head. It took me an hour to get to the top. I brought water and hiking poles. There is a trail that goes around the rim and down to the cauldron where there is a garden. The views are very rewarding. I will do this again when I return to Hawaii.

2  Thank LAJFJ2