“Oh YES I DID!!!”

and up
Koko Head Trail Challenge
Ranked #16 of 336 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed May 18, 2013

2nd time around and it is day 2, and not until tonight did I feel the after effects!
Admittedly I am not in the best shape, but there is nothing like the sense of accomplishment when you take the last step from the last railroad tie and with weak knees say - OH YES I DID!
being passed by others is not of concern. slow and steady - take water, know your limits, and try not to do it in the heat of the day.
*** an added bonus is the view at the VERY top, where the wind is the heaven at the top of that stairway!

1  Thank missywould
Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)
All reviews
in 82 reviews
"degree view"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed May 15, 2013

"This sh** was hard." Someone scrawled that across one of the stones at the top of Koko Head. It is true. I was in decent shape when we climbed/hiked up Koko Head. I am not a workout freak by any means though. There were some people running up and down it like it was an escalator. That was not me. I had to stop often to make it up to the top. Take a huge bottle of water!!! I am talking one of those big Hawaii brand waters. Better yet if you have a camelbak it would be very beneficial here. I sweat a lot so I ran out of water by the time I reached the top. I saw some people taking their children up to the top and wishing half way up that they had never brought them. If your child is not used to walking a lot and is under the age of 8 I don't recommend it. The view is WORTH IT!!!!! Just do it!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

After driving out towards hanauma bay I saw what looked like stairs so when I got back to the hotel I had to google it and find out what it was! Once we figured out how to get there we went for it! We did not bring water or snacks we just put on our runners and gave it! It was pretty easy to do till about stair 850 and then I felt like I wanted to vomit! That being said we made it to the top in about 28 mins or less! I would recommend it as it was a fun challenge but there is no need to run it! I saw all ages of people on the trail. But please wear appropriate footwear you just look ridiculous in flip-flops. Enjoy the hike and the 1100+ stairs all the way to a stunning view! To find it I just put KoKo Head Crater Park in the GPS and then we came to some ball fields. To find the trail go behind the ball field along a skinny dirt path, through a little ditch and then there is a cleaning and I took a right, up towards the trail and soon came to the bottom of the "stairmaster"!!!

Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is an old railroad track that goes up the side of a volcano. It is mostly steps on the ties, but they are not even. This was the first time I climbed Koko Head. It took me an hour to get to the top. I brought water and hiking poles. There is a trail that goes around the rim and down to the cauldron where there is a garden. The views are very rewarding. I will do this again when I return to Hawaii.

2  Thank LAJFJ2
See more reviews
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were fortunate that we picked a breezy, overcast day to do this hike. We followed instructions from other people and loaded up on snacks and water, but honestly, all it meant was heavier backpacks. I am by no means athletic and taking my time, was able to make it up the trail. Of course there are young people jogging up like they are doing a stair-master. I really don't see the enjoyment in that. We stopped at several points along the way to enjoy the beauty, the view, and take some photos. If you are short, some of the steps are quite steep and a bit slippery. This hike isn't maintained and there are all kinds of advisories around to remind you of that. So step carefully and be sure-footed. The view and breeze at the top are spectacular.