“A great workout with a great view”
Review of Koko Crater Trail

Ranked #9 of 322 things to do in Honolulu
Pasadena, California, USA
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A great workout with a great view”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is an old railroad track that goes up the side of a volcano. It is mostly steps on the ties, but they are not even. This was the first time I climbed Koko Head. It took me an hour to get to the top. I brought water and hiking poles. There is a trail that goes around the rim and down to the cauldron where there is a garden. The views are very rewarding. I will do this again when I return to Hawaii.

2 Thank LAJFJ2

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Worth the effort”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We were fortunate that we picked a breezy, overcast day to do this hike. We followed instructions from other people and loaded up on snacks and water, but honestly, all it meant was heavier backpacks. I am by no means athletic and taking my time, was able to make it up the trail. Of course there are young people jogging up like they are doing a stair-master. I really don't see the enjoyment in that. We stopped at several points along the way to enjoy the beauty, the view, and take some photos. If you are short, some of the steps are quite steep and a bit slippery. This hike isn't maintained and there are all kinds of advisories around to remind you of that. So step carefully and be sure-footed. The view and breeze at the top are spectacular.

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This hike is my favorite on island”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hike is killer, and mean you will feel it. Avoid when it is wet the wooden planks get really slippery.

Visited February 2013
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“The view is worth it I promise”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm 25 and in decent shape but this hike nearly killed me. It's short but super intense. The view is beautiful from the top. Looking at pictures I can't believe I was in such a beautiful place. It's unreal.

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“A great hike!”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I just love this hike!! Why? It's mentally and physically challenging but you get rewarded with an amazing view. The workout is amazing. Anyone can really do it; just pace yourself. The best time to do this hike is in the early morning because you have no shade. Make sure you wear a good pair of shoes and bring water. Be prepared to sweat and ENJOY!!!