“awesome view”

$169.00*
Hawaii Five-0 TV Locations Tour
Ranked #8 of 332 things to do in Honolulu
Reviewed August 26, 2012

the hike is all uphill and if it is hot you should bring some water. the views at the top are well worth the climb. there is an entrance fee but it is well worth the price for the excellent views at the top. it takes about 50 minutes to get to the top.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,997)

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is a good training hike before Stairway to Heaven. There's a bridge of stairs that you need to be be able to cross though.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I live in Hawaii and I've done Koko Crater Railway trail about six or seven times. Each time it is very challenging, but the first time is the hardest. This hike is no joke, it is very strenuous...but I've seen people of all ages on this trail. Bring lots of water and be prepared for the sun beating on you the entire time since there is no shade. It takes me about 30 minutes to get to the top and I spend about 30 minutes at the top to cool down. Going down is a little more difficult to me, it seems harder on your knees and lower back. I've seen lots of tourists on this hike but locals love this trail as well. Be courteous to those who are coming down the trail and step to the side.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

Did my first hike on Aug 2012.
Compare to this one, Diamond head is like kid's walk.
I suggest you start your hiking in the early morning, there is no shade in sight, and the Sun just start to baking your skin after 11AM. Sunscreen is a must, along with water and towels for wipe out your sweat.

I think the trail has two different levels divided by a bridge in the middle. First part of the climb is easier, but once you pass the bridge, it gets tougher. Once your reach the top, the view is killer. You have wonderful 360 degree view of Oahu's east. If you are physically fit, this is a must. I heard you can walking down from end back of the Koko head crater, but I never try it.

BTW, this is free, not many things in Oahu is free anymore.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

First of all, great hike with amazing views.
However, my son and I did this hike last week and gained a few insights.
As other reviews mention, the trail starts behind the baseball fields in a park. Following GPS instructions, we were led to a sharp turn at the park entrance at the top of a hill. This entrance is closed and you need to work your way through residential neighborhoods to get to the parking by the ball fields. Don't follow GPS instructions to Koko Head Park. Heading from Honolulu, once you see the hike on your left, take a left at the stoplight into the residential area before heading up the steep road. It's easy to find the ball fields once you are in the residential area.
The initial view is intimidating. I'm afraid of heights and seeing it for the first time almost made me decide this isn't for me. However, once your focus changes to the pain of going up the hill, you'll forget about the fear, at least I did, until you get to the top.
Next mistake was a very big one. The path around the suspended tracks is immediately before the ravine and goes off to the right. My mistake is that I saw a path cut off to the right and took it well before the bridge. This was a path, but not the bypass. This path cuts up the side of the side of the crater on a dirt path, but goes all the way to the top. After pulling myself up the sheer path for some time, and sliding back down a ways on my butt a couple of times, I realized I was not on the bypass path. This sheer path was very strenous and not very fun. After some time climbing this way, I found a way through the brush back to the train track path and finished my hike there.
My son and I are both runners, so I didn't anticipate any trouble finishing this. However, even though we are aerobically fit, this is still a challenge and it does wear on your legs and knees after some time. Some describe it as lunges, and that is somewhat accurate as the wooden "steps" are further apart than normal steps.
We did Diamond Head in the morning, had lunch, and then attempted this hike. You are very exposed to the sun on the side, and at about 2:00 it was very warm with no shade. It's definately doable during the afternoon as we did it, but I think it would be more comfortable earlier in the day.
Overall a great experience, and a good workout. The pictures on the internet don't do this hike justice. When you are at the bottom, looking up, it appears overwhelming. Take those first few steps, forget about what's ahead of you, and just keep moving one step at a time.

2  Thank dtauer