“a little hokey but come for the poke”
Review of Makittii Hawaii - CLOSED

Makittii Hawaii
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Reviewed November 5, 2013

sushi in Waikiki is very expensive, but there was a great selection of it here, and if you like sushi you'll love the poke(pronounced pokey) chunks of ahi tuna in different marinades soooo good. I don't usually eat deep fried things but the tempura prawns were in a light crispy batter and were very fresh. crab cakes(a bit greasy) had shrimp in them too and with a little wasabi in the tarter sauce were great. my sister enjoyed the crab and egg soup.went here twice and would recommend this place to anybody who likes fish, sushi, fried rice, noodles.
But wouldn't recommend to my meat and potato friends

There are newer reviews for Makittii Hawaii

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was a little put off by other reviews, but I took a chance and I cant see what people are complaining about! You have to check in before you get a table, and I had a 5 min wait outside, but once seated they took a drink order straight away.

There is a wide choice of food, including beef, sushi, fish, shellfish and crab, lobster (pay extra), salad, fruit, noodles and rice. There is even chicken and pizza. The food quality was good for a buffet. It seemed to be restocked frequently and tasted pretty good. The fruit is chilled in a sliding door fridge and the beef is cooked in front of you.

The entertainment consists of a host singing (who wasn't too bad) and hula dancers and guys playing with fire. The fire dancers seemed a little amateurish, and more like a group of guys showing off. But it was entertaining all the same. They also offer free pictures.

Drinks selection is basic. A couple of beers on tap, a few bottles of beer and white wine (no red) and 2 cocktails. They also offer soft drinks with free refills and fruit juices.

Desert selection of very limited. If you have ever been to a Chinese buffet it is those small, Square cake things. There was a very nice cream filled pastry.

Food cabling is limited, with hand written notes. If you have food allergies or special diet I would recommend you try a traditional restaurant rather than a buffet. No food is landed with ingredients or allergy advice. Thankfully this doesn't apply to me.

The service was limited at times. Staff are always on the move and it can be difficult to get their attention. They are friendly and helpful, and they seemed to speak multiple languages including Chinese, Japanese, German and French.

It is open air, which means it can get noisy at times. But overall it was a good value meal, costing about $30 a head with drinks. I would go again!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

What can i say we loved this place when it first opened but what happened in the last couple of years i dont know. It was open for breakfast lunch and dinner now its just lunch and dinner with a fire dancing show in the evening. So we went to the dinner the show was ok but if you werent in the front tables you couldnt see alot so people were standing the food was cold and the selection limited there used to be ice cream and crepes and cakes not anymore hardly anything.We thought give it a 2nd chance on a lunch time big mistake nothing was different and when i went to the rest room a 2 inch cockroach ran across my foot! now i know they exist but that big straight after opening when it should have been just cleaned well if they are that size there what are they like in the kitchen!! I told them they said oh ok!!!! really is that it so as you can guess we will never be going back and would advise anyone else caution!

2  Thank Twiggs
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Travelling from New Zealand/ Aotearoa, myself and 2 mates visited this buffet eatery for dinner on 2 september and were well accommodated by the hosts, waitstaff and cooks. We found all the food fresh, moist and plentiful - really loved the variety of shrimps/ crab, fresh off the grill steak, sushi and desserts were PRIMO!!
Admittedly we were not fussed on watching the show as we just wanted food and we had plenty of it. Although we arrived after they closed reservations, we found that using good negotiation enabled us to ensure we would be able to by-pass the wait line for our booking and take our seats. We also asked to inspect the buffet prior to confirming that we wanted to eat there and that the food would be suitable - hence why i have no hesitation in recommending this buffet and would definitely go back there again when i next visit Waikiki, Hawaii. In terms of drinks i mainly had water and my mates had sprite.
The service we received was outstanding and was deserved of the biggest tip of our visit and acknowledgement to the staff/ place.
@mgrantnz
Hamilton
New Zealand/ Aotearoa

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Whilst there is a wide selection of dishes on offer, they cater mainly for Japanese. Food was average quality, mostly near cold. The dishes were not marked, so it was a bit of pot luck. Service was non existent staff running around cleaning tables so a few more suckers could fit in. The show was second rate at best - you get the idea when the MC has to order the audience to clap.

1  Thank HandCT