“Awesome surfing lessons with a personal touch”
Review of Hook up Surfing

Hook up Surfing
Honolulu, Hawaii
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome surfing lessons with a personal touch”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love Hook Up Surfing! I've been out for lessons with Ivan and Jenn 6-7 times over the past year and have had a great experience every time, both on group and private lessons. Ivan is encouraging and personable and very good at helping you make corrections so you get better with every wave, and he makes sure you always have fun while you're learning. Jenn is similarly awesome, both for her photo-taking skills and her surfing and stand-up paddle (SUP) instruction. Nothing like learning from a pro. :)

Lesson rates are very reasonable, they provide transport, the land lesson is comprehensive and has a good safety focus, and they always make sure to find the best waves for your skill level once you're in the water. I can't recommend them enough!!

Davis, California
“Fantastic Surf Lessons with Ivan”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I wanted to learn to surf while in Hawaii last week and we called Hook-Up Surfing. The adventure started out as one lesson with Ivan but we enjoyed it so much we followed it with three more. Our first lesson included a quick safety-and-technique lesson on shore followed by a lot of quality time in the water. What we expected was a 2-hour lesson with some push-and-gos, and a lot of struggling. What we got was way more than we paid for. Each day Ivan checked the beaches for the best waves in the area for our skill level. Every wave we caught Ivan watched and when you got back out he was ready with praise and instructions for improvement while helping to turn you around to catch the next one. At our first lesson my boyfriend and I both stood up on our first wave. The second day was pouring rain with bad surf in Waikiki and rather than cancel and spend the day in our hotel room Ivan offered to take us to another part of the island where we could get in some decent surfing. I was a little nervous of the choppy water and grey rain but Ivan was calm and confident and after my first wave I was too. We felt very safe in the water and Ivan's judgement of the surf and safety. This rain surfing was one of the best experiences of my life. The last day we were both physically exhausted but couldn't help paddling back out for "just one more wave." In just 2 days we both went down a board size, and could paddle to catch a wave independently. In 4 days we could walk down the board to keep the wave, make turns, and read when the right wave was coming. What could have been a one-time experience as a tourist has instead, with the help of Ivan, developed into a passion we have taken home with us. Next time we are in Waikiki we will not hesitate to call Ivan to continue our surf-learning, he is worth every cent.

Visited January 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Surfing Experience”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had a great experience at Hook Up Surfing. Ivan is a great teacher. He taught me how to get up on Board and have fun surfing. A great experience.

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Jenn Lee is an excellent instructor”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My 18-year old daughter and her best friend took surfing and paddle boarding lessons from Jenn Lee while visiting Hawaii. They both had a blast and were surfing and paddle board surfing in no time. Jenn has become a sort of a role model for my daughter, who is now considering majoring in marine biology so she can move to Hawaii and spend more time in the ocean.

Visited June 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Stand Up Paddle Lessons with Jen”
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I signed up for a 2 person Groupon for Stand Up Paddle (SUP) with Jenn of Hook Up Surfing.

We enjoyed our personal 1:1 lesson with Jen, who is one of the few female certified SUP instructors in Hawaii.

We enjoyed her instructional advice, safety tips, & encouragement.