“Get Groupon deal”

and up
Private Surf Lesson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience ADVENTURE away from the crowds!!! Hawaiian Surf Adventures offers Surf Lessons (which include an un-crowded surf break), Stand Up Paddle Lessons/Rentals AND the beloved Hawaiian double-hull Canoe Tour! Specializing in beginners, we keep our classes small and our instruction is sincere.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Toronto, Canada
349 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 624 helpful votes
“Get Groupon deal”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

This excursion was something different to do. As the other reviews indicate, the guide is excellent – so enthusiastic and passionate about canoeing.

I’m annoyed about the whole picture process. I was discouraged from bringing my point-n-shoot underwater camera. But it could easily have been left on the floor of the canoe. And there was lots of down time to take photos.

Of course, they plug purchasing the pictures they take at the end of the tour. The pictures were absurdly priced (no one purchased them from our group), and of poor quality. It was a bunch of pictures of the back of our heads (as pictures taken from the rear of canoe behind us all).

Do look for this excursion on Groupon. This was an interesting activity, but a ‘once is enough’ kind of activity. I would have been disappointed if I did not get the Groupon deal.

Visited June 2013
HSASurf, Owner at Hawaiian Surf Adventures, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
ALOHA! Thanks so much for joining us on the tour - I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed your guide, Nobi! I just wanted to clarify that Nobi DOES allow cameras to be brought on the tour - he just warns our guests that it's not recommended since there's no place safe for the cameras on the canoe, except between your feet. We have tons of people that bring there cameras on the tour - all of the photos submitted by Trip Advisor reviewers were taken with their own cameras. We are just looking out for your equipment by not recommending it - I'm sorry if that was misinterpreted. Photos that Nobi takes during the tour are $30 - sounds like the photos taken during your tour weren't the best quality and I apologize for that. We hope that you'll join us again for another activity - we also offer surf lessons and stand up paddling. Hope to see you again! All the best, Lisa

“Truly an amazing experience!!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you don't like the crowded surfing spots on Waikiki Beach this is truly the way to go (especially for beginners). Our instructor, Matt, as well as the rest of the staff were really professional and laid back at the same time which was really cool. We went out on a boat to a surfing area just outside of Waikiki where we had all the waves to ourselves but where we were still close to the coastline. I guess we were a bit lucky that the group only consisted of 4 people and that the waves were perfect for beginners like ourselves. However, even without those conditions it would still have been an tremendous experience. A big thanks to Hawaiian Surf Adventures for this experience! :D

Visited September 2013
Aloha and thank you for such a great review of your surf lesson! I'm so glad you loved it and we hope you'll surf with us again! Take care, Lisa :)
Reno
“Amazing Canoe Tour”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Our canoe tour was better than expected! Our guide, Nobi, was very helpful and thorough with instruction and technique. Canoeing as a team was so much fun and I got to meet a lot of people from all over. It was a lot easier than I expected as well since we all worked together and were able to take some scenic and swimming breaks in the beautiful bay. And an added bonus: we saw three sea turtles! Also, the tour was amazing! Nobi had so many interesting facts about Hawaii's geology, civilization, customs, culture, and more. Thanks for the great experience! I'll definitely go on another adventure when I come back to visit.

Visited September 2013
Aloha and thank you so much for the 5-star review! We hope that you DO come back to see us! All the best to you and thank you, Lisa :)
Honolulu, Hawaii
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great learning adventure”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I live on Oahu but this was my first outrigger canoe ride. The excursion was different than I thought it would be but I really enjoyed it. I learned so much about the history of Hawaii and I really appreciated our guides knowledge of the islands. I've only lived here two years and it has inspired me to want to learn more. Thank you for the adventure.

Visited September 2013
HSASurf, Owner at Hawaiian Surf Adventures, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Aloha! I'm so glad that you enjoyed the canoe tour! If there's anything we could have done to earn that 5th star, please let me know! My email is lisa@hawaiiansurfadventures.com or call us at (808) 396-2324. I hope you'll come visit us again! All the best, Lisa :)
Wichita, Kansas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Double-Hull Canoe Fun!!”
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We tried this adventure the first day we were on the island...had a great time! Nobi was an amazing guide...very knowledgeable and fun! Be ready for a good arm workout. There are a few rests between bouts of rowing. Beautiful scenery and a fun trip!

Visited September 2013
HISurfAdventures, Manager at Hawaiian Surf Adventures, responded to this review, June 28, 2016
Aloha Jamie,

We are so glad you enjoyed your Hawaiian Double Hull Canoe tour! Nobie is an experienced waterman and native Hawaiian that loves sharing his knowledge of the islands with our guests.

We hope you will come back and join us for another adventure the next time you are on Oahu.

Mahalo -