“Great Experience”

and up
Private Surf Lesson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Experience ADVENTURE away from the crowds!!! Hawaiian Surf Adventures offers Surf Lessons (which include an un-crowded surf break), Stand Up Paddle Lessons/Rentals AND the beloved Hawaiian double-hull Canoe Tour! Specializing in beginners, we keep our classes small and our instruction is sincere.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Our instructor Matt was great and everyone in our group got up on our boards. Great patience and great energy. We had a groupon coupon which made it a great deal. A bit out of the way and we were a bit late due to taking the bus but there was no issue - we were on island time :) The only downside was that the area where you surf is rocky and shallow and it's hard to avoid hitting the rocks - so really listen to them when they tell you how to fall properly!! i learned the hard way.

HISurfAdventures, Manager at Hawaiian Surf Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2016

Aloha -

We are so glad you enjoyed your SUP lesson with Hawaiian Surf Adventures.
We hope you will join us for another adventure the next time you are on Oahu.

Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I took a beginner's surfing lesson here using a Groupon deal. I had one previous surfing experience in Brazil, but this was his first time. These guys really do all they can to make it a positive experience.

There were several pros versus my previous surfing lesson. For starters, they don't keep you practicing on the sand for half an hour (which, in the end, didn't help me so much the first time and really wore me out.) There's a short/sweet lesson on the boat. After the lesson, they take you by boat to an uncrowded bay. This is great because you're not worried about being hit by other surfers and you don't have to paddle way out to the waves. Once in the water, they drop an anchored buoy so you can hang on and save energy (otherwise you're constantly paddling to stay in place.) The instuctor takes students one a time into the waves and gives you a good push off. It's pretty much as close to surfing with training wheels as possible.

We had six people in the group and each person got four waves. Though I wish I'd had the chance to get more, it really was a great introduction. Remember - surfing is hard work, so even though these guys do a lot to save your energy, you will be doing some heavy paddling. Overall, I'd recommend these guys to anyone looking to try their hand at hanging ten. They're fun, helpful, and knowledgeable. They even showed us we could pick up the jelly fish by the harbor (which we all assumed would sting us!)

Mahalo for the great time!

Aloha Kathniss,

We are so happy you enjoyed your surf lesson with us! We have a GREAT crew and they love teaching surfing to our visitors.
We hope you will join us again the next time you are in Waikiki.

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Although my husband and I lived in Hawaii in the 90's, we were young and broke - and never managed to take any surf lessons. In July 2011 we went back to Oahu for vacation, and decided we had to try surfing during our visit. I chose Hawaiian Surf Adventure because they had a couple of good reviews on google, and their web site looked good with lots of details. All I can say is WOW!! We had a great experience! Everyone working for Hawaiian Surf Adventures is very friendly and down to earth. "Tan Dan" was our instructor, and I totally dug him. He reminded me of "Crush" the turtle from Finding Nemo. First they spend a short amount of time on the shore (actually on a boat tied up at the dock) to teach you how to hold the board and to practice the proper way to stand up once you catch a wave. Then you hop on a boat and they take you out to a spot to catch the waves. It is great because there are no other surf lessons in this spot, so it is uncrowded. There were six of us in the lesson, two instructors, and one camera/video guy. I got up on my first try! It was such a blast and everyone in our group loved it. I think everyone even got up at least a few times. This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. I strongly recommend Hawaiian Surf Adventure - you will love your experience!!

Aloha Delyn,

Thank you for your review! We are glad you enjoyed your lesson with us and that you were able to come back to Oahu for that experience. Please come surfing with us again the next time you are in Honolulu.

Mahalo - the HSA Ohana

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Bought a groupon which said a "Two hour group stand-up-paddle-surf lesson" and didn't get what i paid for. It was implied that it was a stand up paddle SURFING lesson, not just a stand up paddle boarding lesson. Definitely not worth the money you have to pay. They also said they would take you out on a boat to the area but they probably just wanted to save money on the gas and drove us instead. I would understand if you have to charge more because of the fee of the company needing to maintain a boat and for fuel. Big waste of money. Went into the store in the morning and the person behind the desk just completely ignored us and only looked up to point at some waivers that we needed to sign.

HSASurf, Owner at Hawaiian Surf Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Aloha Tony,

I am the co-owner of Hawaiian Surf Adventure and just wanted to respond to your review regarding the Groupon that you purchased for a StandUp Paddle lesson. I'm sorry if you were under the impression that you would be experiencing something different. In our advertising, we tried to be clear that this was not the standard surf lesson by boat that we offer.

The Groupon ad states: "The six-student standup paddleboard lesson begins onshore, covering oceanic safety and paddleboard technique a safe distance from the bitter jeers of leg-envying merfolk. Instructors and students then gear up with school-provided paddleboards and retire to quiet Maunalua Bay for a tour of the views and a full hour of in-water, hands-on paddleboarding." As you see, the ad states it will take place from the shore.

Also, on our website, which Groupon links to, it states on our Stand Up Paddle information page: "This is not a traditional surfing lesson on waves – it is a Stand Up Paddle (SUP) lesson fit for beginners that can sustain one hour of physical activity. Hawaiian Surf Adventure specializes in beginner surf and stand up paddle instruction, conducting its lessons in a secluded, crowd-free location. Our instructors will launch you from the beautiful shoreline of Maunalua Bay to learn Stand Up Paddle surfing tips & tricks. We supply the surfboards, paddles and fun; you supply us with your smile and positive attitude."

We are working on offering a more advanced SUP lesson that will include surfing waves, but do not offer it yet. If you are interested in taking one of our surf lessons by boat, I would be happy to offer you the same 1/2 off price that you received from Groupon so that you can experience surfing as well as the boat ride. As for the poor greeting that you received, I apologize on behalf of my staff and will make them aware of your review. I hope that in the Stand Up Paddle lesson that you received you were able to learn some new skills, enjoy the beautiful view and have fun with our instructor - we really value everyone that comes to Surf and SUP with us and if you have any more feedback, I hope that you will contact me.

With Aloha, Lisa Harrington (808) 396-2324

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Holy moly! This was by far the best time I had on vacation! Everyone was so cool and encouraging and the embarrassment factor did not exist...even though I had restless arms syndrome. Do you remember when your dad taught you to drive a stick shift and you just ended up parked on the side of the road crying? Yeah, so learning to surf with Trace and Tan Dan was the exact opposite of that...there was no crying at all, until I realized that I had to leave and go back home. I am still working through the five stages of grief, even though I squeezed in 3 lessons before I left. But seriously, it was definitely the funnest thing I did in Hawaii and I can't wait to go back. Awesome, I say! Do it!

Aloha Christy,

thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your lesson and hope you will join us again the next time you are on Oahu.