4,706 results
All reviews the study sunrise pool day bed pool area ala moana shopping waikiki beach adult pool our honeymoon main pool min walk pool staff amazing hotel the main strip partial ocean view friday night fireworks city view heart of waikiki
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We enjoyed our stay at the modern very friendly helpful staff , little things provided like sun block an d cold water to drink st the swimming pool was great, we started in a room on the 4th floor which was very noisy from the night club in the basement of the hotel but the staff were great and shifted us to a room higher up which was much better only slight negative were the lifts that were incredibly slow to come at times but otherwise a great place to stay

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
pennyre, Guest Relations Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely review. We are happy to see that you had a great stay at The Modern Honolulu. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The day we arrived went to check in, just seemed to be rushed, no Hawaian feeling, they just wanted us to pay resort fees, started talking to a few people in the Hotel, who mentioned about there had been a union march at the hotel swimming pool. Now this happens every Monday afternoon at around 5pm. Disgruntled ex staff members blowing trumpets and shouting for their rights, this also happened at 7am on a friday morning, we were never contacted by hotel prior to coming regarding this issue, i went to complain got offered $50. Joke.
Pool staff were rude, due to lack of staff a lady brought some empty drink glasses up to the bar and said i brought these because my kids were playing with them, the response from the bar tender was. Should be looking after your kids. Very Rude i thought.
Do not fall for getting excursions from hotel, as to get discount you have to sit for 2 hours listening about Diamond Resort timeshares, no pressure we got told. As soon as you walked in you was put under pressure, to buy. Then when you eventually think you have got through to them, you have to sit with the Hospitality Mananger, who is no small person and explain why you are not interested.

Jason L

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lammy71

Jason, thank you for the candid feedback. We appreciate your comments and will work with our team to remediate these issues to hopefully bring you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've stayed at The Modern dozens of times since it was renovated and relaunched about 10 years ago. I've made many great memories with family and friends and it has been my go-to hotel in Waikiki. That changed the night before last. I've noticed over the past year as the hotel has transitioned to a Time Share property that it takes longer to check-in, that the property isn't receiving regular maintenance and that the level of service has diminished significantly. Its not a bad hotel, but it is no longer the high-quality hotel that it once was.

For example on my last stay, I was unable to sleep well and finally at 3 am figured out that it was because they switched to FIRM mattresses. I went down to the front desk and they said that housekeeping would bring a mattress topper. I waited in my room and nothing arrive for 30 minutes (yes it was close to 4 am by this time). So I called the front desk and was told they were out of mattress toppers. They offered extra pillows, so I gladly accepted, hoping to be able to get back to sleep as I had a long work day ahead. I waited another 30 minutes with no pillows arriving. I went back down to the front desk and spoke to the night manager and she assured me that she'd personally deliver them if they couldn't find any staff.

It was 3-4 am, and there was no moving about the hotel. The staff couldn't have been busy, but they still couldn't fulfill a simple request. After loosing several hours of sleep, the extra pillows finally arrived. Sorry Modern, I'll be looking for another hotel in Waikiki now to be my go-to.

Room tip: Definitely don't stay on the 3rd floor, as you will hear the nightclub.
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Guide20320631521, Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I called this gentleman and spoke to him and explained that we have not changed any mattresses since Diamond Resort acquired the resort. We were also out of mattress toppers. He was offered two (2) dinner coupons on his next visit to The Modern Honolulu. He wanted some type of compensation. He informed me that he will never stay at The Modern again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My stay itself was alright, but I'm still getting calls trying to sell me a time share two months later. Every time I ask them to stop calling, but they keep at it. This alone will keep me from EVER staying here again.

I booked online through a 3rd party site because it was in a good location and had a good price. I didn't realize until I got to the hotel and they started with their pitches, that it was a time share property. I opted out of their presentations and thought that would be the end of it. Sadly it was not, and I'm still regretting my "deal".

The accommodations were fine overall. The room was a decent size and clean, though there were signs of wear and some skipped maintenance. The shower was really the only terrible part of the room as it was downright claustrophobic. The bathroom seemed to be updated otherwise though.

My last morning there, there was a protest just outside my window at 6am. Thankfully, I was already up and heading to the airport, so it didn't wake me, but it certainly was disconcerting.

For a mediocre stay at a decent price, it didn't make it work the frequent calls and the bait and switch feeling I've got. I'd recommend skipping this property and choosing somewhere else.

Date of stay: July 2019
pennyre, Guest Relations Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your experience during and after your stay with us. We certainly don’t want you receiving unwanted communication from us. Please email us at CustomerServiceSM@diamondresorts.com so we can get to the bottom of your recent phone calls.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Perfectly situated hotel, close to the shops, beach and bus but that's where the compliments end unfortunately. I have already given this feedback directly to the Hotel and to Agoda who I booked this through but no response was received to my comments.
I have a midday feedback score of average and this caused the hotel to try and ring me and email me to discuss my concerns. I emailed them my concerns as below and never got a reply from anyone. This set the scene that Management don't give a toss once they have your money.
What can I say ...... The Modern has seen better days, it is a tired run down hotel. The Lobby looks first class as does the pool and amenities but the hallways and rooms are tired and run down.
Day one I had to ask for a blanket as none in the room and it was cold overnight - that only took 2 phones calls and 12 hours to secure.
I also asked for the black mould stained tile floor in the shower to be cleaned or give me the stuff to clean it, yes they sent someone up and it smelled lovely but unfortunately the mould remained and had not been cleaned as was the mould around the glass door. More importantly there was no ventilation in the bathroom and there was wooden blinds leading in to the bedroom, so 'each and every' smell just came straight through to the room - disgusting.
The walls were scuffed and marked - simple to wipe down between guests but all along the hallways looked like this, carpet was stained and well worn including the hallways.
The day of arrival we had to leave the facility due to the protesters screeching for hours and was woken before 7am a few days later due to protesters on the grounds again. Not once did we hear anything from the facility to apologise for any inconvenience this cause, perhaps a free drink at the bar or refunding the $34US dollars/day you charge for use of the amenities that you can't use when the facility is over-run with protesters.
Biggest shock for us was when booking in - after a very long wait due to lack of staffing to be charged 7 x $34 / night extra to use the amenities, yes this was listed on the very small print on the original invoice which I didn't notice. I thought i had prepaid our stay so to charged over and above at check in is pretty poor. Why couldn't this be charged for when I booked so I didn't have to use some of my spending money for this - makes no sense. $34 / day to use the pool seems a rip off to me.
I feel we also got ripped off with the hard sell from the activity sellers. We booked a rental car and was told it was $146 but if we agreed to attend a sales pitch for timeshare then we would get it for $98, we weren't the least bit interested in doing this but she dropped the price to $78 so we thought 'fine' it's 20 minutes of our time. That 20 minutes turned out to be 120 minutes of hard selling for us to sign up on the day for tens of thousands of dollars to buy a timeshare as if we would ever commit to that amount of money without consulting a lawyer - duh!! Anyway we go and pick up the car and check on line to find if we had booked direct with the rental agency it would have only cost us $110 so we really saved $32, I can assure you my time is worth my than this.
The homeless issue was an eye opener to us in Honolulu and Waikiki but I do think the hotel should move people on when they are passed out or sleeping in the front entrance garden as we found someone one evening when returning home and cleaning the rubbish out of the gardens should be a priority.

Wouldn't stay here again, average hotel at best, albeit in a good location but so are all the hotels in this area.

2  Thank christine l

It’s disheartening to hear Christine, that your attempts to share your concerns were not addressed. We are in the midst of a renovation and the rooms will be updated as part of that renovation. Resort fees are common at all hotels and are not charged until you use the facilities. We do appreciate your feedback and will take your comments and forward them to our team members in hopes of using them to improve our guest services going forward.