“Destination Wedding Weekend”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed July 6, 2014

During the weekend of June 21, 2014, I had the pleasure of coordinating a destination wedding for a very lovely couple from Texas, at the Modern Honolulu. The bride and groom explained that they fell in love with the hotel for its understated luxury feel. They chose to celebrate their wedding weekend with 3 separate events, all held at the hotel. With the help of Ashley Chang (Catering Sales Manager) and her amazing banquet staff, both the welcome luau and wedding reception went smoothly and proved to be a truly wonderful memory for everyone in attendance, most especially the newlyweds. Rachel Ocomo (Restaurant Manager) was also very helpful in ensuring a memorable farewell brunch for 90+ family/friends at Morimoto's the following day. For anyone looking to celebrate their special day in paradise with style, I highly recommend The Modern Honolulu for its professionalism and sophistication .... as well as their amazing Coconut Mojitos! Cheers to all your destination wedding dreams come true!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is a great hotel with great staff. We travelled with our 18 month old baby boy and he loved it as well, largely due to the fantastic staff at the pool/restaurant (Dempsey, Erin and Jensen especially!). The rooms are modern and chic and very well appointed whilst bthe pools, restaurants and gym are really great as well. Would recommend this hotel to anybody who wants something a little different compared to the 80's style at the main beach. Location is really good as there is a ramp connecting to the beach.

Room Tip: the corner suites facing the marina and Waikiki are great.... room 1111 was great
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sampan24
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing visit! The staff was so friendly and helpful. Rooms were beautiful and modern. I loved the pools and access to the beach. Every morning I would enjoy coffee while watching the sun rise on the pool deck- so peaceful! And the food at the pool was pretty tasty too

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I stayed here June 27 to July 3, 2014. I booked a room with a partial ocean view and it was beautiful. To the right was the ocean and the harbour with a wonderful array of sail boats, and to the left, I had a great view of the city. The room was clean and nicely decorated. There was zero noise from the AC so I was able to sleep without any issues. The bathroom was pristine and bath products were superb though they could use better hairdryers - the one I had was the smaller kind with only 2 settings and a wide nozzle...not ideal for styling long hair.

If you don't like making your own coffee or tea in-room, you can get some complimentary every morning at the Study next to the lobby. If you like tuna tartar, you must try the Island Style Ahi Tuna Poke - the fish was super fresh and sublimely tender - which you can order at Passageway and Grove. Another must is the Oyster Foie Gras at Morimoto located at the hotel - it was 3 half shells of utter decadence.

I had also booked a massage and nail appointment at the spa, both of which were great. The staff was friendly, attentive, professional and competent. The spa facilities were pristine though the waiting area was somewhat small.

If you like to laze around on sun beds all day, the ones by the Sunrise Pool require a $150 minimum F&B order for the day. This is inexpensive compared to other places I've been where the fees start at $500 for the day PLUS the any orders on top of that. However, if you want to save, then I recommend the sun beds located at the Sunset Pool where there are no minimums. The only thing is that the Sunset Pool is reserved for adults only, which is especially fabulous if you are a solo traveller, can't eat or drink that much anyway, and want a quiet place to zone out.

The biggest thing that struck me at this hotel is that the staff make a huge effort to recognize and personalize their interactions with you. For instance, I was greeted with a "Welcome back to Morimoto" or "Nice to see you again" by the Morimoto hostess and wait staff; while a spa staff member enquired if I had enjoyed the massage I had booked a couple days prior after having met her by happenstance in the elevator. Other nice little touches included sending up to my room a deodorant stick during my stay and, after check-out, allowing continued use of the pool and spa facilities free of charge while I wait for my flight which was departing only at 11pm. These were all very nice touches and I felt very much spoiled.

Room Tip: My room was on the 10th floor and the view was fabulous.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Junibugs
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Finding the right hotel is always a challenge for us. We are two men (19 years apart in age) who have lived together for 21 years and just got married. This trip was our honeymoon. We usually stay at gay owned B&Bs since there are few gay owned hotels. The Modern turned out to be the perfect place. It is beautifully designed with modern touches throughout the facility but warmth infused by use of wood. The staff could not be any more helpful or friendlier. Although the vast majority of the guests were families and heterosexual couples, there were a few gay couples we met at poolside. We wanted our last three days to be in a city and that is why we chose to end our trip in Waikiki. The Modern Hotel is the perfect choice for anyone who is seeking luxury and warmth surrounded by a bustling city environment. Will go back and will tell friends who are going to Hawaii to stay there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2014

This was a great modern boutique hotel on the edge of Waikiki, close to Ala Moana shopping centre. I was pleased to be away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki, but if you want to be in amongst it, the hotel is a reasonable walk away. The ocean view room was excellent, although our room was next to the lift - this was somewhat noisy. It didn't bother us, but if you're a light sleeper ask for a room away from the lifts. Free bottled water in the rooms and free coffee machine, but you have to request it. Pool was excellent, as was service and food around the pool. We ate at Morimotos one night which was also excellent. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Abigail_PW
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My experience with The Modern Honolulu was amazing! The hotel staff and staff at Morimoto's Waikiki were exceptional and made sure that my stay was comfortable and relaxing to the very last detail. I had planned this as the bachelor party for my friend and the evening was absolutely amazing and really something that everyone will remember. The dinner we had at Morimoto's was amazing and Rachel and the servers and chefs made sure that our meal was exquisite. We were able to get VIP access to Addiction, their nightclub and it was fun! The music was good and the vibe was great! I would recommend anyone who is planning a trip to Honolulu to stay at The Modern if you're looking for a VIP, upscale experience. Be sure to put them at the top of the list!

Room Tip: It's worth the money to get a 1 bed suite. The ocean view and surroundings are amazing!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends