“Minimal and magnificent”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had originally booked to stay at The Modern for three nights, but as we were after a little more excitement than the relaxed resort we were previously staying in on one of the quieter islands, we brought our stay forward and were extremely happy with the decision.

The hotel is unlike others in the area in the sense that it has a clean, cool and minimal vibe. It has more of a European feel, something akin the hotels in Ibiza. The rooms were well appointed and very comfortable with gorgeous beds and linin.

My favourite area by far would have to be the pool area. We spent many days lazing on loungers reading a book and sipping cocktails. The food available is constant with the feel of the hotel – fresh and clean. It was great to have some healthier options on the menu after being inundated with the heavier cuisine you might associate with The States (read burgers and chips).

The staff were always gracious and willing to help us with any requests we had, and as with the hotel it was the little extras that made the experience excellent. Making up your pool loungers for you and having complimentary magazines like Vanity Fair in each room pushed my stay from good to great.

The Modern is less of a family hotel than many others we encountered in the area, which was exactly what we needed.

This is a hotel I could quite happily set up residence in for a month without feeling like I was in a hotel. This is the perfect place to be amongst the action of Honolulu while still having the relaxed environment we sought on holiday.

Room Tip: Street noise can be a bit of an issue, as can the night club on weekends - get a room on a higher fl...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Modern Honolulu

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Love the hotel 3rd time I have been back but a poor experience has turned me off coming back.

Ordering our second round of cocktails at the Study turned out to be a debacle. They had run out of proper glasses due to a function they had going on at the same time so had to revert to dumping our fab cocktails into wine glasses seriously not sexy. When we complained it was all too hard 20 minutes Plus for a rude and inexperienced Manager with attitude to say oophs sorry thats THE BEST we can do sorry seriously does not cut it... despite our constant patronage, Morimotos, spa you name it they found it offensive to offer another round of drinks due to it not being a good business decision their end was outragious seriously poor form... FIRE the manager without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SamCranny
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The Modern is located slightly out of the centre of Waikiki however the walk is easy and pleasant. It's a really fun hotel. The staff are in white uniforms with cardigans and the decor is unique! There are several fantastic bars and pools and it's about a 10 min walk from Ala Moana Shopping Centre for those who love to shop!

We were initially placed in a room that happened to back onto the elevator shaft however I'm the worlds lightest sleeper so a quick call to reception saw us moved to a corner suite with great views over the Marina. The rooms are tastefully decorated and continue the hotels playful theme.

We really enjoyed the 2 nights we spent at The Modern!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that back onto the elevator shaft. They do switch it off at night (possibly from 10pm-6a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I've stayed at a lot of good hotels over the decades that I've traveled. 3 stars to 5 stars to hostels.

This is the single best hotel I've stayed at. Quality is excellent. The staff is genuinely helpful. Wow.

2  Thank Shree M
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I just returned from a week in Waikiki and was fortunate enough to stay at The Modern Honolulu (my first time). From the moment we arrived we were delighted and astonished. The aroma of plumerias greeted us immediately upon entry (very subtle but perfect). I found myself popping down to the lobby throughout the week just to catch another whiff. The rooms were great, so clean looking (all white) with a slight pop of hawaiian color. No tacky artwork or paisley bedspreads. The pool area was wonderful. NEVER had to fight for a place to sit (such a nice change from a huge hotel). And, yes, I almost cried when I had the coconut mojito (their specialty) because I could not imagine my day getting any better. But THEN...we ate at Morimoto restaurant. I can honestly say I have never had such an amazing meal. In fact, we ate there every single night just to try new items. By night two they even remembered what drink we liked. Everything was outstanding. My faves were the Crispy Rock Shrimp Tempura and the Spicy Alaskan King Crab.

Room Tip: Head up to the adult pool if you don't have kids, and you'll feel like you are in a mini lag...
3  Thank Suzie H
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Firstly, let me say that the staff were friendly and very keen to please! However, we had booked well in advance and communicated regarding our needs. We had requested a king ocean view on high floor. When we arrived in this room it was really facing the building next door and overlooking the pool with a view around the corner of the marina and the ocean off in the distance. While this was a bit of a disappointment we were not too concerned with that.

Our room had been described to us as the best in this category but when we arrived in the room there was a huge water stain on the carpet which had at some recent time been from a leak in the airconditioning unit. There was a distinct musty damp smell and also a nasty red wine stain on the carpet. The carpet was also starting to fray and looked worn and shabby. There were many marks on the walls and the room looked quite tired. We were disappointed, so mentioned it to the front desk. To their credit, they offered to move us to another room, which we accepted as we would not have been happy with the mouldy smell.

We accepted a move to a room on a much lower level 5, on the road side of the hotel which had an obscured view of the marina. This room was in much better condition but was not what was promised. For the inconvenience, the manager credited our account with $50.00. Considering the expensive cost of the rooms, this was only a token gesture. I have travelled to many countries recently and research the hotel accommodation with great scrutiny. Compared to other hotels in popular places in North America and Canada, I would have to say that The Modern was probably my least favourite. It is a young persons hotel, lacks the "pamper factor" and l would choose differently next time.

5  Thank highflyer49
Reviewed April 21, 2014

As a meeting planner, The MODERN Honolulu was an exceptional property to work with. Everyone on staff was a pleasure to deal with and they are super creative! Their website is a wonderful planning tool if you are planning off-site excursions, as the site only features trusted suppliers. The whole vibe of the hotel is cool but very friendly - I felt like everyone on staff was invested in the success of each guest's stay. I hope to not only bring another group to The MODERN, but would go there on my personal vacation. A 10 out of 10 for sure!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business