“Great modern, boutique hotel that caters to you.”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Grafton, Massachusetts
“Great modern, boutique hotel that caters to you.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

This was a very last minute trip for my husband and I. From the minute we stepped out of the car until the last minute we left we were treated above and beyond from all of the staff. Our room was upgraded (which was a beautiful corner suite with ocean, marina and lagoon view with 2 balconies). The rooms were clean with plenty of towels and toiletries each day.
The pool area had such a nice relaxing feel. The staff covered your chairs and set you up nicely. The drinks were delicious. Breakfast was included daily in our package. Very large portions and gluten free friendly. They had the best cappuccinos ever (kona coffee is now my favorite)!
Mark (concierge) was spot on with all of his recommendations (from activities to dining out). He went above and beyond to make u feel comfortable. He was very professional.
Great place for young couples (they have a night club). There was an adult only pool, but it really wasn't that necessary because there were few kids around. Very short walk to the beach/lagoon. We chose this hotel because it was out of the really busy section and right on the marina/ocean. We could still walk to shoppes and restaurants (well maybe not if u are wearing really high heels-like me). We were very sad to leave. So happy we picked this hotel!

Room Tip: Jr. Suite with an ocean view (the higher up the better). Beautiful view of ocean and lagoon. We cou...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed here recently for three nights and was blown away by the amenities of the hotel and the friendly demeanor of every staff member that I encountered. The property has amazing views from the rooms and no details are overlooked. The bed had both feather and non-feather pillows which was a nice touch too. The "Eggs Benny" from the patio restaurant was the best I've ever had and the Macadamia Waffle was amazing as well. I made a day trip to the North Shore and brought back a pineapple to my room and called room service to see if they could bring up a knife, and they explained that for safety reasons they couldnt bring a knife but would be glad to pick it up and return it cut any way I liked! Truly great guest service teams find ways to find creative solutions to guest's odd requests and I will definitely be coming back soon.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had a wonderful stay at the Modern Honolulu! The staff were genuinely friendly and helpful and the service was wonderful. I love the turn down service - they turned the lights on low, closed the curtains, put out slippers, yummy cookies, and filled the ice bucket and left bottled water. I had a Keurig machine in my room (just ask, they will bring one up or a water kettle for tea) along with a selection of coffees and condiments which were refilled daily.One day when I went back to my room during the lunch break, housekeeping was cleaning my room so I went to a sitting area near the pool to wait. A waitress brought me ice water with lemon (I wasn't in a service area), so that was really thoughtful. I had dinner at Morimoto which was terrific - I had the ishi yaki buri bop, which is cooked at the table in a piping hot bowl and my colleague had the seafood toban yaki - spicy but probably the best thing on the menu. Also, I had a late flight back to the mainland, so I was able to take a shower in the spa before my flight. They had shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the showers plus towels and hair dryers - it was great! I highly recommend this hotel.

Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

I LOVE this property, but it is not for everyone. Sleek lines, virtually no lobby, 2 pools - one an adult lounging area. A fab spa with the BEST products ever, and suites with sleek lines and great views. This hotel is for the urban warrior - London, Berlin, Stockholm, NY, LA crowd - fashionistas - trendy honeymooners - Girls' trips - trendy gay couples/groups. It is not a midwestern, family vacation venue.

The corner suites with ocean views or partial ocean views are the best. Free fireworks every Friday. Great amenities. Comfy beds.

A gorgeous beach is a 3-minute walk from the 1st floor pool on an attractive boardwalk lined with gas lamps in the evening. There are 3 bars and a nightclub. The Japanese restaurant by acclaimed chef Masaharu Morimoto is beyond amazing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Hegira
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

This most recent trip was my fourth, and I've already planned my next return. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel. On this occasion, for a conference of 40 people traveling from Asia, and staying for a week - each came back with incredible memories of the trip. We have begun planning next year's event to the island, and The Modern remains our only consideration for a place to stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our 9 night stay at The Modern Honolulu... Service was fantastic, the room was clean and serviced by staff twice a day and staff were always willing to help if you needed it. The ocean view suite was as pictured and described on website. We will definitely return to The Modern Honolulu!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank VanessaTezgerevski
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at the modern for our honeymoon for 5 nights. We loved it! The staff were friendly, amazing and so helpful. We arrived to a complimentary upgrade to a suite on the 17th floor (top floor) and were extremely excited by this! Our room was amazing, beautiful views. Everything we could have asked for and more. However, surprisingly you could hear the noise of the elevators (all 3 of them) constantly, which made us question if someone else has asked to be moved & that is why we had the upgrade? Saying that- after the first night we were used to the noise- as I found that shutting the ensuite door hid some
Of the noise. We weren't compIaining because we had an upgrade- but probably would have felt different if we had paid for a suite? As expected you couldn't hear the night club ect from the top floor, although I did hear a couple complaining about the noise from their room. Room service was delicious! The restaurant is a must! Morimoto! We went there twice out of our 5 days and loved it! Great staff and the food is delicious! Cocktails at the pool bar were the best we had all honeymoon- (big island included). The staff were to bubbly and SO Helpful! Overall our personal experience was beautiful. We loved it and would return to the modern in a heart beat :)

• Stayed March 2014