My last visit to Honolulu was in Dec 1972. It was just not for me. I had resisted returning but I succumbed to family pressure over the past few years and so I reluctantly returned in Nov 2013. Big mistake. I should have returned earlier.
My wife made all the arrangements. Based on recommendations from friends she selected The Modern. Everyone had spoken well of it.
Honolulu itself was very good but The Modern made our holiday memorable.
We had a great room facing the pool, the staff were all excellent, the gym was good and the pool area was very relaxing. The concierge staff arranged dinner for us for the 6 nights that we were there, recommending and then booking some nice places.
We ate in-house twice at Morimoto (of Iron Chef fame) and enjoyed our meals there. The highlight was the rendition of Bagna Cauda, a famous Northern Italian meal, very difficult to find anywhere other than in and around Torino.
The hotel is a short walk to Ala Moana Shopping Centre. This is a pity in some ways because if it was further away I would have spent less. But I did stock up on my Hawaiian shirts at Reyn Spooner.
The hotel is a slightly longer walk the other way to Kalakua Ave and all the hustle and bustle of the busy, but pleasant, strip.
All in all, the hotel is well-located, enjoyable and professionally managed.
Our plan for 2014 is France and Italy, but my guess is that some time in 2015 or 2016 The Modern may just see us again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated, THE MODERN HONOLULU stands at the epicenter between the world renowned Hawaiian experience of Waikiki Beach, the blossoming Kaka’ako arts district, and Honolulu’s downtown cosmopolitan scene. We are the hub of contemporary culture and creativity in Honolulu. Our boutique luxury is as refined as it is relaxed. An empowered team delivers THE MODERN HONOLULU experience -- alluring, personalized and innovative – surrounded by an award winning design concept that creates an urban chic beach aesthetic. LATHER spa features treatments developed around the purest products in the world -- natural, organic, and sustainable. Local and house-made culinary menus are offered for poolside and in-room dining, complemented by RAVISH Restaurant which blends our Island’s bounty with Asian flavors and South American tastes creating a true Pacific Rim experience. Two stylish pools overlook the ocean for daytime fun while a vibrant scene at The Study lobby bar is the spot for an evening rendezvous. It’s no wonder Thrillist magazine called us “The best boutique hotel in Hawaii.” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with MrandMrsSmith, Hotwire, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Modern Honolulu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Modern Honolulu Hotel Honolulu
- The Modern Honolulu Hawaii