The Modern Honolulu
Average 3/5
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
4,301 results
All reviewsthe studymorimoto restaurantsunrise pooliron chefday bedpool areawaikiki beachala moana shoppingour honeymoonadult poolamazing hotelmain poolmin walkpool staffturn down servicepartial ocean viewthe main strip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We never stayed in a hotel like this ! What a wonderfull experience ... Everything was outstanding. The room was very clean and modern with a nice balcony and a breathtaking view. Also a big flatscreen tv and free wifi. The bathroom had a big shower. The staff was very friendly - they gave us a warm welcome ! Every morning free coffee and tea. We sure highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stayed at The Modern Honolulu for our honeymoon, I can only say great things about this hotel. The service was nothing but 5 star the staff were friendly and customer service was outstanding. Our room was cleaned twice a day and the cleanliness of the hotel was exceptional. The hotel was modern and furnished beautiful. Room service was available 24/7, food at the pool bar was amazing and faultless, with a delicious menu.
Concierge service was perfect they organised all our tours and transport and were very helpful.
We ate at Morimoto which is in the hotel and was the highlight of our trip to Hawaii, the service was outstanding and the food was to die for.
Minutes from Wakiki beach and no kids around which was great for us . Thankyou Modern Honolulu for the great stay.

Room Tip: Ocean view room
2  Thank lisa g
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I really wanted to love this trendy hotel. I ran into some issues starting with booking, but the hotel compensated me for it with free breakfast. Getting past that, I loved my room. Until I took a shower. Then I noticed that the shower floor hadn't been cleaned probably in weeks. It was moldy and so broken down with dirty cracks in the grout, I was surprised. I complained to the front desk and they sent someone up to clean it. When I came back, I noticed that they had tried to clean it up, but there was a new huge ball of hair (not mine) in the corner of the shower stall. At that point, I called the front desk again and they sent someone up. He wasn't a regular housekeeping person, but he empathized with me and said that for a luxury hotel, this shouldn't be happening. I suspected that if previous guests hadn't complained, that the state of the bathroom would have continued on. Seems like there should be a quality check on the rooms before they give them out?

Finally, I got switched to a different room (of course, after having unpacked everything in the old room) that had a tub instead. Much better. The only issues I saw were that when I wanted to order room service, I noticed that the menu was nowhere to be found. I had seen it in my other room, and assumed that housekeeping had not noticed it wasn't there. Also, when I used all the cotton balls and q-tips in the vanity kit, it wasn't replenished after housekeeping cleaned the room. For 2 straight days. I finally had to ask housekeeping for more vanity kits when they came by to give me my daily 2 bottles of water at night.

Those issues aside, I loved the staff (except for the housekeeping problems) and the location was awesome. It's walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Center, which has a ton of food options. Also right at the end of Waikiki, if you wanted to go the other direction. Ate lunch and dinner at Morimoto's and it was wonderful. Chef Morimoto was there eating at the bar that night and was nice enough to take photos with diners who asked.

I would stay again, but be cautious of the little misses. It's definitely not a 4+-star hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ocean side.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 2, 2013

The modern is very clean and refreshing , the staff goes above and beyond. Everytime I need something I call and they are very prompt getting what I need to me. The pool is gorgeous and the spa is nothing short of awesome. Eddie was a great masseuse. Joey one of the runners in the hotel was very helpful and great personality. Can't forget the breathtaking views either or the fireworks every tuesdAy and Friday right on the beach in front of the hotel . I would definitely recommend staying here .

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at The Modern for four nights during our stop in Oahu. We had red the comments in Tripadvisor and had rather high expectations. Everything from "check in to check out" was impeccable and warm welcoming. Without question one of the best hotels in Waikiki. The room was well equipped with free wifi. The pool area was nice even though the pool was rather small and in my opinion to much chlorine in the water (but I guess it's needed). We had dinner at Marimoto twice and something you shouldn't miss. Overall a hotel we highly recommend.

Room Tip: If you have a late flight you can ask to keep the room for one or two hours for free and after that they charge you 99 dollars for checking out at 4PM. Use the Spa for shower and changing. It's fresh and free!