“suave, sophisticated and chic”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at The Modern Hotel in Honolulu for 10 nights. It is a chic, sophisticated and suave Hotel. The restaurant has a fantastic ambiance and the food presentation is well done. The ingredients are always fresh and best quality and the menu is interesting and varied and is good value for money when compared to surrounding restaurants and bars.

The poolside location is superb, it has a relaxed style with the fantastic food and beverage poolside service. The loungers are comfortable and always available. Privacy is maintained and guest comfort is always a priority. The sound system around the pool, under the water and the in the public area was just brilliant. They played what could be described as a “fresh aural wallpaper”. It was always in the background and enhanced the atmosphere perfectly.

Our room was very good ( partial sea view) well appointed and with the balcony ( lanai ). The house keeping staff are exceptional, working around your individual timing and maintaining an impeccable standard.
The location is perfect, being close to the Ala Moana Centre and nearby beach slightly away from the beach crowd but within reach of down town and the Waikiki area. The hotel has negotiated an extremely good rate for car rentals with Enterprise rentals across the street which we took advantage of.

All the staff and facilities are first class and the Hotel has many design features that are clever and innovative. If fits into the top bracket of accommodation anywhere in the world, but maintains a distinct design edge that delivers a friendly but sophisticated result. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Partial Sea view Rooms are good size and balcony is nice addition.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank reMARKable99
Write a ReviewReviews (4,243)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

After reading other reviews, I called the hotel and asked for a quiet room on a high floor. I paid a bit extra, but it was well worth it. The location is perfect - just at the end of the Waikiki strip,close to the action but not too close. The property is large enough to have scale and multiple dining options, but not so huge that it feels impersonal. Both pool areas are lovely. Staff was very friendly and attentive. One of the bar tenders, Sarah, gave me some fantastic tips for things to see during my stay. Much appreciated. My room was clean, stylish and quiet.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the high floor ocean view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicole44444
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed for four nights at the Modern Honolulu. Our room was beautiful and comfortable. We had a lovely view of the marina from our balcony.
We really liked the location. It's a little quieter, yet within walking distance of everything we wanted to do - 20 minutes to Waikiki beach and shopping, 10 minutes to Ala Moana mall.
Everyone at the hotel, especially at the front desk, made sure we had a wonderful experience. Russell, in particular, was very friendly and attentive.
Make sure you spend some time at the pools and have a coconut mojito at the pool bar.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank bluemoon773
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed a couple of nights at this hotel and felt really let down with the poor service. Interestingly, we stayed at another hotel in Honolulu and had a much better time. In hindsight, we should have stayed there, rather than trying out The Modern.

So, what happened? Well, it's very similar to another reviewer's experience. The hotel and room were as expected - trendy, clean, modern and comfortable. However, all of that was effectively let down by the lack of "follow through" with items for the room, service from staff (particularly the front desk) and no requested pick up at the airport!!! Not to mention, no follow up by the hotel to my complaint regarding the lack of airport pick-up over our stay. This hotel is really good at sending emails to you subsequent to the booking to ask you what you'd like in the room or to upgrade your room. But it seems, from my experience, your response to the hotel is effectively ignored (that's what it feels like) though it might really be a lack of proper "process" in place between guest services, housekeeping and concierge (?). Anyway, if you're NOT going to be able to put these things in the room, don't ask guests by email what they'd like in the room! Same definitely goes for the airport pick up! I'd also add, my experience with the staff I dealt with is they couldn't be bothered with what had happened and didn't feel any inclination to make our stay any better.

The room itself was comfortable and we had a great view which we had booked for. Room service was efficient and friendly. Free wifi was available but it tended to drop out from time to time for whatever reason. I liked the location of The Modern being slightly away from the main strip, yet walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Mall. By cab it's about $7.

I probably would NOT stay here again as I know I can get better service elsewhere and still stay in a modern boutique hotel in a good location. And for me, good service makes a whole heck of a difference to a holiday.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank chiine
Reviewed October 23, 2013

A top hotel we stayed for 10 days. Concierge and front office staff fabulous. Clean and perfect for the three of us. A great location with easy walking to everywhere but quieter than downtown as at the marina. Ala Moana just 5 Mins easy stroll. I will stay again and highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I wanted to take the time to express my appreciation for this beautiful boutique hotel in Waikiki. Because of the demanding schedule of working in the entertainment industry in Hollywood, I don't get many opportunities to travel for leisure. On my last ten-day break from filming, I was able to take four nights and head back out to Hawaii with my boyfriend to visit the Modern Honolulu for my third visit this year. This hotel really rocks. I hate to sound a bit snobby, but it seems like the only updated and modern hotel on the island. Most other properties look tired and dated as if they are still stuck in the eighties, probably when most of them were built, but not The Modern. Maybe it is the design DNA that Ian Schrager infused into the property. Whatever the reason, they really got it right. The two pool decks is where I spent most of my day. Jenny Coronas and Sara Lester did an exceptional job of making sure the service standards were exceptional. I noticed the ice in my water never actually melted because the server was constantly refilling it and taking care of me. The tuna poke is the best I have ever had. Looking for a more upscale place to dine? Don’t worry, Morimoto (iron chef) has a restaurant and patio where we watched fireworks on Friday night. For cocktails, The Study has a great list of special concoctions and a friendly staff to offer suggestions (I can never make up my mind with so many good choices). And if you are the type that likes a scene, look no further than Addiction nightclub located inside the hotel. The quality of service their staff delivered was in line with any club I've been to in New York or LA. A one-stop shop for the best of daytime activities as well as high energy for the nighttime, The Modern Honolulu is the perfect and serene escape from the daily Hollywood grind. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms with ocean views are amazing
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Becca T
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I just spent 6 glorious nights at The Modern and we 100% made the right choice!!
We were initially booked into a club room at the Sheraton Waikiki but cancelled because of the excellent reviews of The Modern on TA. We were so glad we did!
If you are looking for a relaxing, peaceful holiday with exceptional service then this is definitely the place to be!
We arrived very early in the morning around 7.30am and we knew the room wouldn't be ready so we had a delicious breakfast and then Justin the pool attendant kindly offered us a day bed by the pool until our room was ready. You normally have to pay for a day bed so we thought that was a very kind gesture. Justin constantly kept checking if our room was ready so we could relax.
The rooms and bathrooms are large, modern and immaculate. We had an ocean view room on the 16th floor (1619) and the views overlooking the 2 pools, ocean and marina were exquisite!
The breakfast was delicious and the service was excellent.
We also had dinner at Morimoto's which I highly recommend. One of the best dinners we have ever had!!
The Modern is only about a 5 minute walk to the Ala Moana shopping centre which we managed to visit every day!!
The walk into Waikiki was about 20 minutes but when you walk along the beach and take in the beautiful scenery you don't even notice it.
Thank you for making our stay au The Modern so wonderful and memorable!! You are all a fantastic team and should be number 1 on Trip Advisor!!
We will definitely be back again next year!

• Stayed: October 2013