“Incredible Hotel and Service”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
London, United Kingdom
“Incredible Hotel and Service”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Having just got back from our honeymoon where we were lucky enough to visit many places in US and Hawaii I can safely say this was the best hotel on all fronts vs any other hotel we've stayed in. The service from the hotel was absolutely amazing, the staff couldn't do enough for us and we thoroughly lovely people. The pool and bar area was absolutely lovely. Haven't got enough positive things to say, would 100% go back and would recommend to all friends and family

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Loved staying here.
Service was great.
Food and beverage was amazing.
Attitude was not over the top like many funky boutique hotels.
Poolside was bliss.
Fun cool nights in the lobby bar.

A bit of a trek to the Waikiki strip.
But easy access to Ala Moana Shopping Centre.

Look fwd to returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I recently stayed at The Modern Honolulu for several nights, and it was absolutely superb! The location of the hotel is perfect- a short walk from all of the activities on Waikiki beach and from the mall on Ala Moana but far enough away from all the crowds and busy-ness to still feel like a chic little tropical oasis. The rooms are modern, spacious and stylish, and mine had the most breathtaking view of the marina, the lagoon and the ocean. On site, there is also a spa, a really cool, chill lounge called The Study and Morimoto- yum! And did I mention the pool?? I'm typically more of a beach-goer than a pool-dweller, but this pool is phenomenal- salt water, underwater speakers, great service (especially from the pool attendants- they were all so super nice!), and the manager came around frequently to chat and check in with guests. The only thing that I would probably skip on my next stay is Addiction, the night club in the hotel. It was the one place where the service was lacking (although I don't think clubs are particularly known for stellar service) and it was a bit too crowded to breathe, let alone dance. But this brings me to the overall service at The Modern, which was entirely above and beyond. A few examples: the concierge called all over the place to check on tons of different excursions for my friend and I while we hemmed and hawed over what activities we wanted to do; the pool attendants and valets were soooo friendly and helpful and totally went out their way to make us feel welcome and chat with us, give us suggestions of things to do, give us directions to neat places off the beaten path and continued to give great service even after I'd checked out and was just killing time by the pool before my flight; the reception staff very graciously accommodated my last minute decision to stay another night by rearranging other reservations so that I wouldn't have to change rooms. It's very evident that the management and staff of The Modern makes service and exceptional guest experience the ultimate priority, and it's really because of this that I felt so at home and loved my stay there so much. This was my first trip to Hawaii and staying at The Modern made it just that much more amazing!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amandapanther
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Have stayed at many hotels in Honolulu. The Modern has them all beat for overall value and customer service. Spotless comfortable rooms, nice workout room, unbeatable poolside ambiance. Great location, friendly knowledgeable staff and Morimoto's just can't be beat. Fabulous! I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim D
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

The Modern hotel was in a word . . . perfect. The service was above and beyond expectations, some examples are: allowing us to use the lobby phone to call Australia, offering to book us reservations at various restaurants including finding one that was showing the AFL grand final, daily tidying of our rooms/making the beds, free delicious tea and coffee every morning, arranging cabs, booking places (e.g. swimming with Turtles), carrying our luggage, complimentary sweets and more. There was nothing too big or small for the staff to arrange for us with a smile on their face and a genuine desire to make our stay wonderful.

The decor throughout the hotel is fresh and relaxing to be around, a natural and simple style that we took photos of to try and recreate back home. There is soft soothing music playing in elevators and at the hotel restaurant that had us in a continuously good mood. The food here is mouthwatering too, service amazing and seating very comfortable.

The view from the hotel and pool/bar area is from a typical Hawaii postcard . . . stunning! I need to mention the bed pillows!! I have never had such a good night sleep . . . I am trying to find out where they are from so I can buy some for home.

My favourite part was the hotel Spa. I am a regular massage goer and thus can be fussy . . . but I haven't a complaint in the world. The professional technique, room setting, temperature, oils and overall service was the best I've experienced. There was even a discount special provided for anyone (& their family members) who used the spa more than once that week - which I certainly did.

One morning at the hotel during breakfast, my sister and I happened to be sitting next to a group of people having a business meeting who worked for The Modern. At the end of their brunch, they came up to us and asked us how our stay was going and paid for our breakfast incase their business chit chat had at all inconvenienced our dining experience!!

This is a great hotel to choose if you want a relaxing memorable holiday. The Modern aim to please guests 100% of the time. If you have a request or even a complaint, just speak to the staff and they will accommodate - trust me!

This was our second stay here in a year. We plan on making this an annual trip. If you are going to Hawaii to find paradise . . . look no further because The Modern is it.

Room Tip: I've stayed on both city view and ocean view rooms - both are great! If you can't afford the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Superb service from reception valet and concierge.

Stylish and nice clean room. Like the minimalist style.

Fantastic location. Walking distance to ala moana shopping mall. The biggest and best mall in Honolulu/Waikiki. Away from the busy Waikiki beach.

No complains at all.

• Stayed September 2013
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2013

My family and I recently visited Hawaii for the first time. The Modern came highly recommended by a friend that has spent significant time in Waikiki for business. Accordingly, I was a bit apprehensive that perhaps The Modern wouldn't be the best for families, but my concerns quickly evaporated upon arrival. The rooms are spacious, the views superb and the staff gracious. My wife and daughter especially liked watching the fireworks while dining at Morimoto's onsite, and The Modern was the perfect jumping off point to explore all of Oahu. Thanks to all. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family