“Excellent choice”

Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
München
“Excellent choice”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel was well worth its price. It is located at the end of Waikiki beach, and has no direct beach access, but it is not too far out. Its decor is clean and minimalist with friendly touches (my room was decorated with a ukulele). Others have mentioned the little touches like the complimentary bottled water or the free ice cream poolside - awesome and makes you feel welcome. Very friendly staff, from reception to the pool service to the restaurant. I would recommend trying the omakase dinner there - a bit pricey but very delicious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The only negative that surrounds this place for us is that we could only stay one night ....!! Why didn't we have our 4 nights here and not bother going to maui!!!! Shame but at least we know now!!!

This is an amazing hotel. So great, all the mod cons, Stephanie Concierge is unreal study bar is great short walk to the beautiful beach and the pool area ishgreat.

Thebad tthings are that the adult pool bar shut at 4pm.
Another bad thing is that I requested use of a iPad pre stay and it didn't turn up

TThanks so much the modern and we wish we were there for longer!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Terrigal, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The modern looked to me, everything that we look for in a hotel, however I was worried how my two girls (1 and 3) would be accommodated. We stayed at the modern for two nights before moving hotels to what we thought would be a more 'family friendly' hotel.
I wish we had stayed the whole trip here. It is a great, small little boutique hotel that I would definitely stay at again. My worries about having children there were just that. Although there were only another two children staying at the hotel, they were made to feel welcome.
The pools were beautiful, we only swam in one because the other is adults only ( which is a great idea). Music plays through the water and the most delicious coconut sobet was brought around in the heat of the afternoon sun.
The food there was amazing, we only ate at the hotel. Food was healthy and fresh-try the fish taco's and the egg white omelette with kale for breakfast. Cocktails were yummy too.
It's a ten minute walk to the major shopping center and a 20 minute walk into Waikiki. This was a little hard with two small children but if it was just my husband and I, perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tappan, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Bumped by the Hilton and ended up here. Incredible service. Everyone couldn't be nicer. Turned a nightmare(being bumped by the Hilton) into a great vacation. More appropriate for couples but my teen agers loved it. Pool area was beautiful and not like many hotels during prime season.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sean r
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A friend recommended this hotel for my first trip to Hawaii and we could not have been happier. The décor is gorgeous, very understated and classy. Poolside service was fantastic and you could easily stay all day and escape the chaos of the main strip in Waikiki. Walking distance to Ala Moana shopping centre. The best part about this hotel is the staff. Not just friendly, but go above and beyond to make sure you have everything you need. Special shout out to the staff at front desk and concierge who were professional and always happy to help. A meal at the restaurant is a MUST!

Room Tip: choose an ocean glimpse or ocean view to avoid city noise. it's worth the cost to upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Oceanside, California
Reviewed August 26, 2013

From the moment I booked the reservation at The Modern, I was treated as a special guest. Ryan Tucker, the concierge, contacted me to see what I would need upon our arrival. My requests for a microwave and refrigerator were taken care of (at no charge) when we checked in. The room was clean, comfortable and bright. We loved the salted caramel chocolate macadamia nuts that were in our room! We dined at Morimoto the first night and were wowed by the "Angry Chicken" and amazing desserts! The staff couldn't do enough for us while we were there...from arranging a rental car to mapping a bus route for a hike to recommending day trips and printing vouchers from Sea Life Park. The hotel itself is beautiful from the lobby to the pool. The kids loved the chairs that sat in the water beside the pool! The food and drinks that we enjoyed by the pool were delicious. The relaxing vibe at the hotel was a welcome break from the busy atmosphere of Waikiki. Our friends stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian and it was very chaotic compared to the luxurious feel of The Modern. The location is great...we walked to Ala Moana and took the trolley to other hotels and the International Marketplace. The convenient location of the ABC store across the street was also helpful. The coffee in the morning was wonderful and in the evening, "The Study" had the best cocktails! Above all, the service at this hotel is exceptional! If we asked for anything, it was delivered quickly with a smile! We will definately be back to stay here!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynne P
Montana, Usa
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've stayed at The Modern at least 6 times and they never disappoint. While for some the location might be too quiet on Waikiki (near Ala Moana Park) it is perfect for me as I don't want to be in the thick of tourism. The staff is very friendly and they never fail to recognize me when I pull up...how do they do that? They certainly make me feel pretty darn special. The rooms are really nice and "Modern" and the bathrooms spacious with lots of room for toiletries. They have iPod/iPhone docks, big screen TV's and fridges and will bring you a microwave or Keurig coffee maker upon request (and availability). All the rooms have balconies, so that is great. The beach is just a very short walk away two doors down at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I often see "Hawaii Five-O" filming there. The pools are great - one for adults only...and the food and drink service out by the pool is very attentive. The room service is a little pricey but excellent in quality. They also have a cool bar right through the lobby. Morimoto's restaurant is also on property. Honestly, this is my favorite hotel in Honolulu and I don't think I'll ever stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: If you aren't going for the suites, the rooms right next to the elevator are quite a bit bigger...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business