“Chilled out, excellent service, great location”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Sydney, Australia
“Chilled out, excellent service, great location”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Decided to go to Hawaii for my 40th birthday with five girlfriends. As someone who had never been to Hawaii I was a bit concerned about being down near the marina end of the beach. But I have to say I loved it, it was a great place to go to leave the kids behind and relax. Close to Ala Moana (and the convention centre ) and far enough down the beach that you had space to yourself.

The staff could not be more accommodating, from the front desk to the people who bought you your drinks at the pool. The main pool was fantastic and had a great relaxed vibe. The rooms were also great although I'm not sure about the slat windows into the bathroom sometimes things are best left to the imagination.

Unfortunately I had booked time after leaving the Modern at the Sheraton Waikiki as I had a few workshops there. What a dissapointment. Arguably one of the best spots on the beach, but so run down, unhelpful staff, and cliched music that started up at 6 in the morning. It left me longing for the Modern.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cate C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
UK
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night at the end of a cruise. Staff were extremely friendly & helpful. Lovely pool area & bar. Rooms very trendy & bright but noisy - windows need to be insulated against road noise. Bathroom was decent size & well equipped .

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Kathryn6
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The hotel experience plays a big role in my vacation. I have to say I was impressed by the MODERN hotel! The hotel had a very "modern" decor to it. The rooms very very clean and the beds very comfortable. We had the ocean view room on the 15th floor and really enjoyed it. The staff was accommodating and very courteous. From the waitresses at the restaurants to the pool attendants they took care of our every need. The Morimotto restaurant was a treat (but, a little expensive). My husband and I also enjoyed the SPA! Once again top quality! A special shout out to the concierge service (Ryan and team), they booked all our tours and recommended things that would be perfect for our 2 boys! Overall, excellent hotel experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MonTax1971
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

recently returned from Hawaii after staying at the modern for 10 days. wanted a relaxing holiday after spending a month in Australia and new Zealand, overall the hotel is as the name suggests, modern, newish hotel, the cost of the stay was expensive but as it was peak season I expected that. it is in a good location and therefore ideal for exploring the surrounding attractions, some good restaurants close by especially the one opposite the hotel on the corner. The negative aspects of the hotel are that there are not enough sunbeds for the number of people who stay at the hotel, and to add insult they close the adults only pool area off for private parties, therefore not allowing paying guests to use the facilities. Also they introduce charges varying from 150-250 dollars depending on how they feel for a sunbed at the other pool area when they know the hotel has a function or is going to be busy,what a cheek!
the housekeeping is erratic and, they seem to clean whenever they feel like it, sometimes in the morning and sometimes evening.
Hotel seems to look after americans better than others, maybe its due to the fact that they tip for anything.
If I was returning to Hawaii I would stay at the Hyatt or Hilton, much better value for money.

Room Tip: get a room near the top floor, quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank stansevers
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Except with a hotel. And just everything about Hawaii.

Maybe it was because it was my first time in Hawaii so I was a bit starry eyed with everything, but being the complete travel enthusiast I am and my countless experiences with many different hotel/resorts, The Modern Honoluly EASILY makes my top 3.

When we first arrived, we were greeted with the very helpful staff who were offered to help us with our bags. The check in process was very smooth. Prior to the trip, after we made our reservations, they send you a follow up email asking you what they could do to make your trip to Hawaii more enjoyable offering services such as a shuttle from the airport, from flowers in the room upon arrival, and much more. We reserved the partial ocean view suite and requested a room on a higher floor. When we arrived they ended up accommodating us on the very top floor (the 17th floor) which was AWESOME. Thank you guys so much for that by the way if your staff is reading this. We loved the views from the top floor.

My boyfriend and I traveled to Hawaii for my birthday and when we arrived in our room, they left us THEE most delicious decadent chocolate cupcake and a welcoming card that said happy birthday. So thoughtful! The beds were very comfortable and the rooms were very "modern" hence the name. The bathroom however isn't super sound proof because it is a sliding door and the wooden windows could open but it wasn't too much of an issue.

Grabbed breakfast at the Sunrise pool area bright and early at 7am and the food was great as well. Staff again was super nice. The whole feel of the hotel makes you feel like you're in a mix between Hawaii and a luxury Palm Springs resort. Out of all the hotels/resorts in Hawaii, the modern is definitely one of kind for their spectacular pool areas; cabanas, couches, comfortable tanning chairs and dining areas. There are two pools, the "sunrise" and "sunset". The sunset pool is the one that is 21+ I believe and both are great. This hotel in my opinion is catered more towards honeymooners, newly weds, young adults, and friends on vacation. Families of course are welcome to this hotel as well, but don't expect to see a lot of children at this place.

The hotel is situated along Waikiki, right beside Ilikai hotel along Ala Moana. It's a simple 5 minute walk to Waikiki Beach so it's very convenient. There's an ABC store seconds away and a McDonalds if you're feeling for some fast food.

One thing I really liked about this hotel was that they have concierges in "The Study" which you could talk to, and they help you plan your Hawaii trip by making reservations for you at various places to go (for example) snorkeling or make dinner reservations somewhere, or advice of where to find a rental car, they all do it for you. I found that to be really helpful.

I find this to be getting quite a bit long but all in all I highly recommend this hotel, 5/5 stars! It is a bit expensive but you get bang for your buck. My boyfriend and I LOVED our stay here and next time we're in Honolulu we will definitely be back :)

Room Tip: - Definitely try and go for an ocean view room or partial ocean view room. - Go to Hanauma Bay and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Elle S
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Aloha Elle S,

I LOVE the title of your review! At THE MODERN HONOLULU, it is our passion to ensure that guests will find our rooms to be comfortable, our pools to be lavishly sexy and an uncomparable dining experience that will leave you mesmerized. We’d also like to wish your boyfriend a very happy belated birthday! Thank you for highlighting the service excellence of our entire staff who took great care of you from check in thru to check out. We can’t wait for you to visit us again soon!

Mahalo,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU
Kiriat Ono
Reviewed August 15, 2013

First of all, it’s 2.5 stars hotel (in my opinion), located on the terribly noisy main road, terribly overpriced, terribly old design. Spotty carpets, beds with dangerous corners, etc. This hotel is not really close to ocean but to a rather dirty marina for yachts’. The “partial ocean view” means you can see nothing from the room; marina and noisy road from the balcony. It seems me that many previous reviews were invited (I agree with a reviewer from July 21, 2013). So, why my final rating is 2 but not 1? Only because people (staff) at this place were very nice.

Room Tip: As high as possible. Avoid “partial ocean view”.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlexKiriatOno
Reno, Nevada, United States
Reviewed August 14, 2013

From the moment my, then, fiancé and I booked our reservation at The Modern, I knew this was going to be an amazing honeymoon. We decided after being on Maui for 8 days that we'd need a bit more city life before we headed back home, and The Modern was the perfect place to end our trip.

Before we arrived to the hotel, we contacted the concierge desk and were put in contact with WONDERFULLY helpful guest service employees named Yuka and Mark. Not only were they able to book us on a helicopter tour, paddle board lessons, an ATV tour of the Kualo Valley, and a trip to Pearl Harbor, they also set up reservations for us at Morimoto (more on that later) and Alan Wong. On top of being extremely helpful with setting up activities and dining experiences on Oahu, they also took the time to reach out to their contacts in Maui in order to get us onto a sold out dinner cruise on the 4th of July. These two really know what it means to go above and beyond in order to make sure the guests of The Modern have a memorable vacation!!

Once we actually made it to Honolulu and arrived at The Modern to begin our stay, our initial expectations were blown out of the water! We entered the lobby and were immediately greeted with refreshing drinks and beautiful leis (first ones we had received during our honeymoon). The check-in process was a breeze and we were able to quickly get up to our room. Once in our room (a suite on the 10th floor facing the marina), we were taken back by how "modern" the room was! Clean lines, muted tones, and pops of color...basically imagine if the The W got a beach makeover. It was sleek and sexy and just the type of hotel we love to stay in. The furnishings in the room (king bed and sitting chair with ottoman) were also very comfortable and went well with the overall design. The bathroom was extremely clean and offered great lighting. The only thing better than the room, was the view. We were able to watch surfers catching waves, sail boats coming and going, and witness some stunning sunsets.

Once settled into our room we got down to business with checking out the many amenities that the hotel offered. Both the Sunset and Sunrise pools are staffed with very helpful attendants and waiters who make your sunning experience as relaxing as possible. They offer a great menu of food and drinks, along with complimentary infused water (which is delicious). My daily drink of choice was the Elderflower 75, which I highly recommend. I was also able to experience the spa and treated myself to a much needed pedicure (I've been home a month and my nails still look great!). The spa had a very light and open feel to it, and was a perfect place to relax if only for 90 minutes.

While we were only staying at The Modern for 4 nights, we managed to eat at Morimoto's twice. Both dinners were experiences we will never forget, though the most memorable was being able to sit at the sushi bar and be treated to the freshest fish creations from Morimoto's master sushi chef, Goto San. We didn't speak the same language, but hopefully Goto San understood by our big smiles and many "thumbs up", that we enjoyed and appreciated the work that he put in to what he served us that night. If you like sushi, I highly recommend asking to be sat in front of Goto San as it is an experience not offered many places.

After dinner, we found our way to The Study and ended the night with some cocktails. Even with the bar being very busy, the waitress still took the time to help me decided on a drink that I would enjoy…turns out, the Champagne Haze is just what the doctor ordered. We didn't close the bar down, but it was definitely worth staying up late to enjoy.

Overall, our experience at The Modern was better than we could have ever imagined. With a gracious staff, impeccable design, and Morimoto's on-site, there isn't another hotel in Oahu that can offer what The Modern does. I can't wait to book our next trip!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JillC0629
Aloha JillC0629,

Congratulations! Thank you so much for allowing THE MODERN HONOLULU to take part in celebrating such an immensely huge event in your lives. I truly hope we were able to convey the essence of aloha thru our services we provide for discerning travelers, much like you! Mahalo for providing us with such a detailed review! I’m pleased you had a great stay! Please come back again soon!

Mahalo,