The Modern Honolulu
$203
Hilton.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 16% below average rates

The price you found is 16% lower than this hotel's average rate of $243/night.

$463
$329
$299
$249
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $293/night.

Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)
$255
$189
Hotwire.com
$705
4,361 results
All reviewsthe studymorimoto restaurantsunrise pooliron chefday bedpool areawaikiki beachala moana shoppingour honeymoonadult poolamazing hotelmain poolmin walkpool staffred lobsterturn down servicepartial ocean view
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at The Modern Honolulu and truly enjoyed every aspect of it ! My room was beautiful - well appointed and immaculate! The furnishings are simple and well thought out, not cluttered or bulky. crisp clean and fresh looking. The room decor was contemporary and modern, while feeling warm, uncommon and creative.
The staff at the hotel was great. Valentino the valet noticed I had left my cell phone in the car upon arrival and delivered it to me before I noticed it was missing. Derek at the Pool Bar - also great. And even when I could be extended a late check out due to incoming guests, I was offered several alternatives to allow me to stay late and enjoy the resort until my flight.
A great stay all around and one I highly recommend!!

Room Tip: the ocean view rooms are wonderful and on Fridays they provide a perfect view of the Waikiki fire works !!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Islandeventsmanager
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Aloha Islandeventsmanager,

Thank you very much for the great review! I love how you used the word uncommon to describe our guest rooms. At THE MODERN HONOLULU, we embrace being uncommon! It is our mission to ensure that our guests are able to experience unparalleled services and amenities that are so uncommon to our “common” competitors. One of the things at our hotel that is uncommon is our amenity service. Guests celebrating their honeymoon or anniversary are presented with our unique arrival amenity called, Pagne and Pleasure. Its two champagne flutes layered with a strawberry gelee and a chocolate swirl. The layered flutes are then topped off with a sweet Proseco to finish off this perfect union of flavors. Mahalo for highlighting the service excellence of Valentin at Valet, Derek at our Pool Bar and our reception team for suggesting other alternatives for you to extend your stay till it was time to head to the airport. Please come back and visit us soon! We look forward to welcoming you back to our MODERN paradise.

Mahalo,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Really solid boutique hotel located between the heart of Waikiki and the Ala Moana mall. Making this my home for 1-2 months until I decide which ridiculously over priced and dilapidated home I'm going to over pay for here in Honolulu. The hotel does have a nice distinctive modern minimalist feel which is very tastefully done. The service is outstanding. I never have to wait long for the valet and everyone at the front desk if pleasant. It's not located directly on the beach, but it's a short walk away. A big bonus in my book is that there are very few children here and they have an adult only pool. BUT during one of my days at the regular pool I did notice a lady dipping her baby with a freaking diaper into the pool. Was really disgusting, I had to go back to my room to recover. I'm surprised none of the staff stopped her. This place probably deserves 5 stars, but the size of my room is a bit small(about 400sq ft), and I just can't get the picture of the diaper in the pool out of my mind.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank s3jwang
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Aloha s3jwang,

Thank you very much for making THE MODERN HONOLULU your home, while looking for permanent residency in Honolulu. We’re thrilled that you’re here and would like to extend much gratitude for your review! I especially loved your kind words to our exceptional guest reception (front desk) and arrival experience (bell desk/valet) teams. Mahalo for also highlighting our uncommon Sunset Pool which is the perfect place to spend an afternoon soaking in the sun while sipping on any one of our signature cocktails. You’re happiness is vital to our success and I couldn’t be more concerned with your experience at our Sunrise Pool. Please email me at rory.cosma@themodernhonolulu.com. I would love to hear your feedback and concerns as we definitely see this as a helpful opportunity to improve our services for you and other valued guests in the future. Mahalo again for review! I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warmest Aloha,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Modern is just far enough not be overwhelmed with masses of tourists yet just close enough to have beach front access & a short walk to the most amazing outside mall, Ala Moana Shopping Centre. The pool is everything you see on the website - deck chairs and day beds surround a small yet inviting pool and we enjoyed cocktails and snacks here almost daily. Service is fabulous, everyone is always smiling, friendly and wishing to make your stay a satisfying one. Cannot speak more highly of this hotel. Thank you for a great stay & we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Iline S
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for 10 days at the Modern Hotel at the end of June and it was just amazing.

We had an ocean view room which was just great as we had a view of the pools at the hotel, the lagoon at the Hilton Village then onto the ocean. On Friday night they have a fireworks display from the beach, which we were able to see from either our room or from the pool deck.

The staff at the hotel were just so wonderful I could not begin to tell you how they went beyond all expectations. If there was a issue they were very open to hear what it was and then get it sorted with a smile and apology. The knowledge of the island and local restaurants is just fantastic. Also the little things they did before I arrived was incredible.

The food was excellent as well. They had local artists singing both around the pool and in the Study who were really good.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Honolulu. They are situated a 5 minute walk to the Ala Monana shopping mall and a 10 - 15 minute walk or 3 minute bus ride into Waikiki shops.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a Ocean View room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Orangerinnie
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travel to Oahu every 4-6 weeks or so for work and have stayed in many properties over the past 3 years. That being said, I discovered the Modern about 2 years ago and have not strayed ever since. The property is gorgeous, the staff wonderful and the location ("off the strip") allows for quite the relaxing environment regardless of if you're there for work or for play. The Study bar has some of the best staff on the island, the valets are beyond helpful and fantastic not to mention all of the other staff throughout the hotel that will make your experience special.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View is quite delightful...especially if you get to face pool-side for great people watching :)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business