“What a gem of a hotel!!!!”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Paris
“What a gem of a hotel!!!!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed for 10 days at the Modern Hotel at the end of June and it was just amazing.

We had an ocean view room which was just great as we had a view of the pools at the hotel, the lagoon at the Hilton Village then onto the ocean. On Friday night they have a fireworks display from the beach, which we were able to see from either our room or from the pool deck.

The staff at the hotel were just so wonderful I could not begin to tell you how they went beyond all expectations. If there was a issue they were very open to hear what it was and then get it sorted with a smile and apology. The knowledge of the island and local restaurants is just fantastic. Also the little things they did before I arrived was incredible.

The food was excellent as well. They had local artists singing both around the pool and in the Study who were really good.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone going to Honolulu. They are situated a 5 minute walk to the Ala Monana shopping mall and a 10 - 15 minute walk or 3 minute bus ride into Waikiki shops.

Room Tip: I would recommend getting a Ocean View room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Orangerinnie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travel to Oahu every 4-6 weeks or so for work and have stayed in many properties over the past 3 years. That being said, I discovered the Modern about 2 years ago and have not strayed ever since. The property is gorgeous, the staff wonderful and the location ("off the strip") allows for quite the relaxing environment regardless of if you're there for work or for play. The Study bar has some of the best staff on the island, the valets are beyond helpful and fantastic not to mention all of the other staff throughout the hotel that will make your experience special.

Room Tip: Partial Ocean View is quite delightful...especially if you get to face pool-side for great people wa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Martin P
Westworth Village
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were moving to Oahu and stayed at The Modern Honolulu until our new home was ready to move into. We had a great time at this hotel, and were very well taken care of! We had great service here but I must name a few people in particular. Kathrin at the front desk is amazing and can take care of any military needs. If you hang out at the pool, ask to sit in Olivia's section, she is fabulous. And when you order room service, ask for Vincent. He will bend over backwards to keep you happy! Vincent is fast, fun to talk to and is very knowledgable about the area. You won't regret staying here.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth the cost.
2 Thank Wyatt P
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Only stayed one night, but definitely will be staying there again. The service was absolutely superb and the hotel is is breathtaking. My wife attended a bridal shower at the adult pool and enjoyed every bit of it. Upon check-in you are greeted and taken care of until you leave. The room was spacious and beautiful. Everything is up to date and the hotel definitely lives by its name--modern. The one and only suggestion is to get a room as high as possible. We stayed on the fourth floor and there was a wedding on a Tuesday night...I felt like we were a guest at the wedding as you can hear every single thing. The club tends to be loud as well, so your best bet is a higher floor to avoid the noise. Definitely the best hotel in Waikiki. It is not on the beach but you can walk a few hundred yards to it.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better.
2 Thank PRFlyer26
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Aloha PRFlyer26,

I’m very pleased that we were able to make a wonderful impression on your one night stay with us. Thank you for highlighting our sleek and stylish rooms and your service experience from our dedicated team members. At THE MODERN HONOLULU, we take great pride in ensuring that all guests are able to enjoy themselves by the uncommon Hawaiian experience we’re able to provide through embodying the essence of Aloha in our customer service and distinct features of our hotel that are uncommon to our competitors. Mahalo for your excellent review! Please come back and visit us soon!

A hui hou, (until we meet again)

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have no complaint about my stay from beginning to end.
The staff is amazing, and I meant every single one of them. They are very friendly and helpful. The concierge is certainly knowledgeable about the island and they've done nothing but accommodating my every needs.
If you decide to trust me and stay at this wonderful hotel, check out the bar at night.
It's called The Study and the bartender is fabulous, best cocktail I've ever tasted.
If you doubt my over-positive comment, go ahead and try other pplaces, but you'll regret.
I, myself, stayed my last night at Prince, another hotel nearby, due to some last minute change of plan. And they were nowhere near the Modern

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AlanHt1412
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Modern Honolulu Hotel is by far the best hotel in Waikiki. I have traveled all over Asia and accustom to 5-star treatment throughout all Asia. Over the decades the U.S. has lost its "service" attitude and it is rare to find a hotel that treats each person like a VIP. Well, you will certainly find it at the Modern Honolulu. As you drive up and enter the Modern Honolulu, you will be greeted with a 5-star attitude, real lemonade and a cold hand towel as you begin your check-in process. The front desk staff personalize your the check-in process and make you feel like you are a VIP. The valet staff will take care of all your bags, park your car (if you have one), and when you are ready to drive out somewhere, the valet staff will quickly get your car and have a bottle(s) of water in the cup holder(s). Since discovering the Modern Honolulu two years ago with eight stays to date, I do not want to stay at any other hotel in Waikiki.

The rooms are super up-to-date, look new, and the bathrooms are solid with great amenities. The overall feel of the room makes you want to stay there all day -- well in Waikiki -- better go to the beach. Lastly, the rooms are turned at 7:00 pm and lights dimmed.

**NOTE** the cheese burger is outstanding and the morning coffee stays out until 9:30 am.

Modern Honolulu is my favorite hotel in Waikiki. The staff is extremely professional and will accommodate your requests. If you are a courteous guest and return a nice attitude, most likely you will be upgraded.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Scott_E222
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My parents surprised me with an overnight stay at the Modern the night before my birthday while they watched our babies.

Even though we only live 2.5 miles from the property and I've grown up in Honolulu, my husband and I truly felt like we were on vacation as soon as we arrived. We were greeted by a friendly and informed staff. Our room was ocean front, which because the way the hotel is situated, when you go out on the balcony you look directly at the marina from the side we were on. So pretty.
The decor was just our style, crisp and clean with pops of color. Updated features like a keurig and ipad upon request delivered to your room. The marble bathrooms and comfortable bedding...beautiful. I loved the 3 sarongs hanging on the wall in our room.

We had breakfast at Morimoto's. Seriously, what a GORGEOUS foyer!
Then we enjoyed an afternoon at the salt water pool. So relaxing. My mom even brought our kids by so they could have some pool time. There is a long and wide first step into the pool that is about 3 inches deep and it was perfect for my 1.5 year old to splash around in. The pool staff was super friendly and brought us refreshing complimentary glasses of lemon water for all of us as soon as we found some lounge chairs.

I actually worked at the world famous Halekulani, but the Modern is more my style and I would rather stay here.
The Kamaaina rate is awesome and we will definitely make this a yearly tradition!

(it looks like my pictures are posting sideways....sorry!)