“the best”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 29, 2013

fantastic hotel.rooms to die for. spectacular views.young and vibrant staff.excellent position.pool area beautifully appointed,the service by the pool was nothing short of exceptional.close to shopping and the wakiki strip.

There are newer reviews for The Modern Honolulu

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is located at the northwestern end of Waikiki Beach, in a quieter part of Waikiki, yet just a short walk from all the shops and restaurants. The rooms are nicely appointed and the staff friendly and courteous. The hotel offers comfortable lounging areas in the lanai and around the pool, good bar snacks and relaxing happy hour entertainment. The service everywhere in the hotel was impeccable. The beach and lagoon are a short walk down a long elevated ramp. The hotel features a full spa and offers live entertainment in the night club adjacent to the lobby, which attracted many elegantly dressed young adults on the weekend. It also offers free coffee in the lobby in the morning for those who want to grab a cup to go and get on with their day or just lounge around the pool. The staff were very attentive and went out of their way to make us feel like valued guests.
Loved it!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Loved staying at The Modern. Room was large, sunny and beds comfortable. Loved being only a 7-10 minute walk to the Alo Moana Shopping Centre and 20 minute walk to Lewers Street, Waikiki. Best of all the staff who were so friendly and attentive - whether it was at the Sunrise or Sunset Pool, the Pool Bar or Morimoto. Highly recommend the restaurant for dinner - and thought the breakfast prices were good value too. And don't forget to have a drink at The Study, when at 6pm each night the book case rolls away to reveal the bar behind. Definitely will be back and would never stay anywhere else in Honolulu!

Room Tip: Corner suite large and sunny with great views. Loved it that I could open the windows for fresh air...
2  Thank JaRMaC
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We tried to check in admittedly early but our room wasn't ready.We were told to come back in an hour..we came back in 2 and still had to wait another 1 to eventually get in.
A complimentary drink doesn't make me forget the best part of a wasted day of my holiday.
Of course not off to a great start
Our room looked just like the pictures..but unfortunately we were one of the unlucky rooms that was sitting lovingly above the nightclub..wouldn't be a problem if I went to the night club but I did not appreciate being woken at 2am by all the drunken screaming woman at that time forgetting that you don't need to scream once you've left the nightclub.
Maybe the hotel can work out by the guests ages whether they'd be happy perched on top of a nightclub at 2am ?
The room windows have absolutely no glazing so all the street noise came in...I actually felt like the motorbike zooming past was in my room..oh by the way I was already wearing ear plugs.
The block out curtain in our room was jammed and every time I tried to slide it along more of it came off the tracks...really how doesn't housekeeping not notice this?I even pointed it out to 2 staff members and still nothing was done...I didn't pursue it further as why should I waste my holiday with problems that shouldn't be there to start with ?.
The bathroom was a good size,but the shower head is so high that it made the water pressure minimal..and if I'm going to be really picky..how about a soap dish that doesn't involve getting soggy soap underneath your finger nails when trying to pick up the soap once it has settled into the flat soap dish?
The hotel is very Abercrombie and Fitch-ish..I felt like I was at some Frat party.
The adult pool was like a meet for all the wanna be pretentious 20- somethings.I happened to walk past the pool party with the lyrics to a vulgar song being piped through the speakers..takes a lot to shock me and I was shocked!!Not very nice as there were a lot of children swimming in the other pool.
The other pool was just overcrowded..too small a pool when there were about 30 people in it at one time.
There were some positives at the hotel..friendly staff..who looked happy..and the nice coffee machine that you can have in your room...not sure why the housekeeping never restocked or washed the coffee cups?
Hotel is walking distance to both Waikiki and Alo Moana shopping centre..I didn't mind the location.
Wouldn't return...sorry.

Room Tip: Beware of rooms above the night club..unless of course you love night club noise.I think the rooms f...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tobaja
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Aloha Tobaja,

Mahalo for your review on our hotel. I did want to extend sincere apologies on not being able to meet and exceed your expectations during your stay. It is our truest intention that guests will find our location to be convenient, our guest rooms to be clean and that all of us here are empowered to ensure you great stay at our hotel. If you’re available, I’d like to reach out and speak to you personally about your stay with us. I can be reached at
rory.cosma@themodernhonolulu.com. Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Aloha,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Ok so I ACTUALLY stayed here when it was called The Edition.. But this place is phenomenal!! My husband took us for my birthday and the service and room was out of this WORLD! Something small but memorable, they had my name and happy birthday on screen on the television?! Awesome!! And the slotted wood partitions to the lanai in the room and the same from lovely restroom to the room! Ugh sooo romantic! And the rooms are very modern and IKEA-esk!! Which I LOVE!! We had views of downtown AND the boat docks on the ocean and beautiful sunset!!! Wow! Although parking is an issue and should be included with the stay at a whopping $20 a day! It honestly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me going back!! Your literally seconds from the beach and walking distance to shops and food! I can not wait to go back and I hope nothing but the name has changed here!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank dacia80
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had a beautiful week there. The Stuff were all very nice and helpfully and the rooms are remarkably clean and very nice and modern. Location is actually very good - easy 10 minute walk to Ala Moana - and a few minutes walk down to the waikiki-beach...
Definitely my new favourite in Waikiki. I love it. I'll be back.

1  Thank Andrea L

Aloha AndreaLorson,

Thank you very much for your review on our hotel. I’m very happy that you found our guest rooms to be clean and that you our location was superb! It’s also awesome knowing that we’ve become your new favorite hotel to visit in Waikiki. On your next vacation, take some time out in the afternoon to visit our sunrise pool. We have sunset entertainment daily featuring local talent that will serenade you while the gorgeous sun sets over Ala Moana. Having delicious food while enjoying exotic cocktails as you listen to great island contemporary music is the perfect way to end a day at THE MODERN HONOLLULU. We can’t wait for your return!

Aloha,

Rory Cosma
Guest Experience Manager
THE MODERN HONOLULU

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The rooms are big , beautiful and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. Location is good - near Waikiki Beach and Ala Moana shopping center (10-15 min.). Nice fitness club with new equipment. Many restaurants and shopping center are close to the hotel.
Cool japanese restaurant and night club. We like the pool atmosphere and pool service.
The parking service is comfortable but not cheap (28 $ per day).
Can recommended this great hotel. We will come back.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony
1  Thank Christina L