“Nice design and location”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Very friendly, good location on the beginning of Waikiki Beach. Pool area with two options of pools, one to relaxe in and one to swim in. Nice clean room with a ocean and city view. Wifi perfect at no extra charge in the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ylva T
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Aloha Ylva T,

I have to agree with you Ylva T, our location in Waikiki is great! We are at the edge of Waikiki which makes it convenient for shopping at the Ala Moana shopping center. Or, if you’re here for a convention our location is excellent for a leisurely stroll to the Hawaii Convention Center. I’m glad you enjoyed our sexy swimming pools and the view you had from your lanai (balcony). Mahalo (thank you) for also mentioning our complimentary wifi service. Guests have certainly found this useful during their stay as it enables them to still be in touch with the world while basking in the sleek ambiance of our hotel. Mahalo for staying with us! We look forward to welcoming you back to MODERN paradise.

Aloha,

THE MODERN HONOLULU

There are newer reviews for The Modern Honolulu

Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went on our first trip to hawaii for business the second week of April. After my extensive review searching, I decided that the modern would be it! The lady who took our reservation-Karen, I think- was the most helpful and upgraded us when I explained to her that I was a newly wed but did not yet have time to go on a honeymoon. That was super nice of her so I took her offer.

The room was spacious, considering its the city, with a great bathroom and amenities! Loved the comfortable bed, the linens but unfortunately not the ocean view. I had a partial view of the parking lot and the harbor.

But the positives of this hotel made me forget about the view. Who needed the view when you could walk to the beach- only a short six minute walk away! I thought I'd be annoyed that it wasn't right at my fingertips but I wasn't. Perhaps it had to do with the delicious breakfast by the pool in the early am before heading out. Expensive but so good! And the friendly (and pretty) waitresses and ladies who are there to help-with towels, etc etc.

Because we were there for work we didn't want to be in an overcrowded resort-like place. The modern was chic, cool, understated and yet glamorous at the same time. We met with some friends were staying at waikiki beach- one of the Aston hotels I believe- and when we invited them to our hotel for dinner at morimoto, they exclaimed how beautiful our hotel was. I beamed because I agreed. The food at morimoto honolulu was basically the same as the one at NYC. I don't know if its worth the price? Didn't seem as creative...or fresh.

Anyway, great hotel, great location if you're not into cheesy, resorty, overcrowded places. For about $400/night, we were happy with it. Will definitely be back- but only if the halekulani isn't booked. Just kidding. Wish I could go back!

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank JayneC84
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Modern Honolulu gives you a feeling that you are the at the coolest swankiest hotel on the block without taking away the personal touches of a simple warm smile and great customer service from any and all staff for the valet to front desk to the bartenders to servers. Makes me wonder how is EVERYONE this nice? The pool is small, but very comfortable. It does not get crowded. The rooms have a modern minimalistic feel and clean. My only complaint about the room is that it can be a bit loud if you are in a room near the elevator and just over the nighhtclub. Guest services would come in in the evenings to turnout the bed and set us up with complimentary water, which is a nice touch. The valet guys are super friendly, too. It is on the pricier side, but it is in Waikiki with convenient access to beach, food and shopping.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Everything is just perfect for this hotel. Chic, modern and hip. After a smooth check-in, I got a welcome email right away with instructions on how to request almost everything through their arrive website. You can request to have your room serviced at a specific time, have the valet get your car ready, request coffee machine, kettle, iPad, iPod, additional coffee/tea/shampoo/lotions... Almost anything you can think of to make your stay more enjoyable. Top notch service and attention to details IMO.

Room is modern, spotless and spacious. Our room has partial ocean view and it was already very nice. Would defintly want to slurge a bit and get an ocean view room next time.
Very comfortable bed and well thought out design. I especially love the soft linen headboard - very comfortable for half-lying on bed watching tv. I'm very picky when it comes to hotel room and I have to say The Modern lives up to my expectation.

Pool is very nice too. Not huge but very quiet and relaxing. Many empty poolside bed with no kids running around yelling. Beautiful view over the water. Location is a bit on the outskirt of waikiki thus much less noisy. We rent a car so not a big problem for us. There's also alamoana beach and lagoon beach close by and they are less crowded than Waikiki beach. Would definitly want to go back again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Claire W
TMHmgr, Rory C, Guest Experience Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2013

Aloha Claire W,

Thank you for your lovely review on our hotel. I’m glad that you enjoyed the top notch service from our team members, our spacious guest rooms and the amenity request form you received via email. We’re continuously striving to be unique, uncommon and exceptional in the services we’re able to provide our guests. I’m pleased that you had a great stay and would like to visit again, should you be in Honolulu. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our MODERN Paradise.

A hui hou, (until we meet again)

The MODERN HONOLULU

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel is VERY stylish, but with a great, laid back attitude. The room was a good size with a great view, all the staff were helpful and friendly and the pool, bar and restaurants all shared the same ultra modern, ultra cool attitude. Fantastic place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RossTregenza
Reviewed May 8, 2013

4.5 / 5

The rooms were spacious and airy, very clean and well-kept, the bed and linens were very comfortable. Sheets felt smooth and silky and the towels were white and fluffy. It was a great nights sleep and felt awesome coming back to each day. Amenities included daily refill of water bottles but they only had a cooler in the room so if you needed something really cold, you'd have to request a fridge to be brought up. The bathrooms were also great apart from the water pressure which wasn't very strong but still serviceable.

The two pools in the property were perfect for lounging and the beach is easily accessible through a walk way. At first I was hesitant not booking a beachfront property, but then I realized that there are other beaches in O'ahu that I much rather prefer than Waikiki. The hotel offers valet parking and best of all good rates for car rentals (better than if we got them directly from the rental company). They also have a complimentary GPS that they lend out (subject to availability)

From Thursday - Saturday they have a club within the property that might be distracting for some, we were in the 9th floor and could barely hear it. However if you're up for going out, I believe a room key will get you VIP access to the club (can't attest from personally experience but that's what was said).

All in all we had a really great stay. I already miss walking into the inviting lobby with the signature scent and complimentary morning coffee. Till next time...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LeiaR
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm trying to understand the hype with this hotel. It's beautiful, clean, neat, the staff is friendly but the rates seem insane for what you get...which is very little.

I like good staff but at this point I think every hotel - even the Motel 6 - should appreciate the importance of good staff. I enjoyed the rooms but they were cookie cutter, contemporary rooms in a cookie cutter hotel. The pool area was nice but again, not extraordinary. For all the hype surrounding the opening of this hotel a short time ago I would have thought there would be more to it. What I received is any hotel, on any corner or other prime location in Miami... I was not impressed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank HelloGorJess

Aloha HelloGorJess,

Thank you for your review on our hotel. I’d like to extend sincere apologies for not being able to exceed your expectations during your stay. It is our hope that our guest rooms, unique pool experience and sleek hotel ambiance allow our guests to find something that appeals to their desire for tranquility and romantic time as well as having fun with friends. Unfortunately, we did not meet this standard during your stay, but will certainly utilize your review as an excellent learning tool to improve.

Mahalo, (thank you)