We stayed at this hotel in Jan 2013 for only 2 nights and wished we had booked a longer stay. We were looking for somewhere to stay for our last 2 nights of a 14 night stay in Oahu and this turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip.
As soon as we pulled up our car out front we were treated to great service. This continued for our stay except for one time on our last afternoon at the pool where we were ignored by the pool bar staff. Not sure if this because they knew we had already checked out. It did put a damper on the experience....
The room we had was partial ocean view and it had a nice sized balcony with a great view of the ocean and marina. I enjoyed sitting out there at night to see the city and stars having a glass of wine before dinner. The bed was very comfortable.
Dinner at Morimoto's restaurant in the hotel was simply amazing! One of the best culinary experiences of my life and I am a foodie. We also enjoyed breakfast on the patio by the pool one morning and lunch poolside.
There are 2 pools although one is really just an ankle deep wading pool. I really enjoyed that the one pool was heated and had salt water. This made a huge difference as the other hotel we stayed at (Outrigger Reef on the Beach) was not heated and I could hardly stand to swim in it. The 2nd pool on the upper level is nice because it has a sandy area around it which is like being on the beach and has really nice comfortable loungers.
The clientel seemed to be on the younger side and reminded me of a South Beach crowd. There were a few families with young kids but it was mostly couples in their twenties and early thirties.
I also enjoyed the small gym which had nice new machines. I didn't get any spa treatments but used the facilities to shower on the last day after check out. I thought it was nice that they offered this facility for those with a late flight as not all hotels do this.
Would I go back? Definitely yes! It is a new go-to place for us for short stays in Oahu. The only downside was the distance from the main strip and Waikiki beach. It was about a 30 min walk.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Perfectly situated, THE MODERN HONOLULU stands at the epicenter between the world renowned Hawaiian experience of Waikiki Beach, the blossoming Kaka’ako arts district, and Honolulu’s downtown cosmopolitan scene. We are the hub of contemporary culture and creativity in Honolulu. Our boutique luxury is as refined as it is relaxed. An empowered team delivers THE MODERN HONOLULU experience -- alluring, personalized and innovative – surrounded by an award winning design concept that creates an urban chic beach aesthetic. LATHER spa features treatments developed around the purest products in the world -- natural, organic, and sustainable. Local and house-made culinary menus are offered for poolside and in-room dining, complemented by RAVISH Restaurant which blends our Island’s bounty with Asian flavors and South American tastes creating a true Pacific Rim experience. Two stylish pools overlook the ocean for daytime fun while a vibrant scene at The Study lobby bar is the spot for an evening rendezvous. It’s no wonder Thrillist magazine called us “The best boutique hotel in Hawaii.” ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Orbitz, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your The Modern Honolulu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Modern Honolulu Hotel Honolulu
- The Modern Honolulu Hawaii