“Fantastic Place to stay”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here in February for two weeks. Everything was perfect. We ate at the famed Morimoto restaurant of the hotel and it was just as amazing as we would expect.I also especially liked the very light scent that was prevalent throughout the hotel and found a room spray of a similar fragrance at pier one imports to remind us of our trip.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for The Modern Honolulu

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Sick! As in amazing! Modern decor. Clean. Excellent service. Lemon water and warm towel at check in. Poolside manner- handed out free sorbet, constant checks if you need water, they set your towels up, etc. Free awesome coffee in the lobby in the mornings. My husband and I were upgraded since we were honeymooners. The concierge desk, Stephanie, was amazing! Best help we've ever received from any hotel concierge desk. Told us where to go, eat, made all the calls, booked everything, then sent us our itineraries and marked up maps up to our room later that evening. We are so grateful for her help since we didn't really have time to plan anything prior to landing. This place is worth every penny, excellent customer service, classy joint, super relaxing. Short walk to beach front. Side notes for waikiki area- eat at Morimotos, Duke's, the fat Greek, cheeseburger in paradise (<-located in the outdoor mall area resembling rodeo drive). Rent a car for two days and spend it on the north shore beaches...1000x more beautiful than the commercialized waikiki shore (leave early, pkg for one of the nicest beach is a pain). Visit the Waimea Falls Park right next door to Kailua/Lanikai beaches (we paid to get driven directly to the waterfall, and then swam in it). Pearl Harbor is a must. Although I hated all the chain restaurants and crowds of Waikiki, I loved going back to the Modern and feeling all relaxed and taken care of.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank youngfemalepro
Reviewed April 8, 2013

A calming oasis in the heart of Honolulu. A resurrected W of sorts in white. This trendy hotel has the charm of a modern hotel with the amenities of a luxury hotel. We were reluctant to stay here because of the comments about noise, but found the hotel very quiet and appropriate. The staff was young and vibrant, the rooms were well appointed with great views. Loved the balconies and bonus firework show friday night. A lovely hotel in all respects.

Room Tip: Ask for a firework view room!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I absolutely love The Modern. It is a stylish hotel. The decor and atmosphere is hip and feels both welcoming and like a super fantastic photo shoot at the same time. As a professional photographer I really loved the look of the place. It was also quiet which is essential to me. I live in London so I want to travel to cities and zone out of the noise and this hotel did just that.

The food was amazing and the areas you can eat, again suit every mood.

The staff were incredibly helpful. In the rush to leave, I thought all my suitcases had been loaded in the limo, but when I arrived at the airport, one was missing! It felt like a real disaster but i called the Modern desk and the guy arranged to send the bag and paid for it in a taxi ... and also called me to reassure me that it was all handled. I thought this was particularly good service and I thanked the staff for their help.

I would stay again and again there... budget permitting.

Room Tip: I was over the pool with a distant sea view and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I am wrapping up a week-long stay at the Modern. I coined the trip a vocation because I was working in Honolulu but staying on a property that made every effort to make me feel like I was on a great vacation. The property is beautifully designed with great attention paid to detail. The staff were all courteous and polite. The place was much cooler than I am but oozed a great energy. The on-property dining was the best food I ate on the entire trip. The standout, however, was the services I received in the spa. I went to escape the work for a mani/pedi and the woman who did the work (Reyna) was AMAZING. She made me feel so incredibly comfortable, she was so personable, professional and such a break from the norm. It's often the little things that make a big difference and I would absolutely return to this slick Hawaiian gem.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2013

As stated in the title, worth every cent paid and certainly wasn't expensive, even if it was "who cares" if you get only one chance to travel to Hawaii you won't get anything better than this place to stay. Away from the city centre (10 minute walk) and about the same to the first of the big shopping malls, you only need to walk, everything is so close. Bus system is simple and cheap so no real excuses to avoid travelling around the sites if that's what you want to do. The food/drinks and service tops off a great experience at a very affordable cost. Rooms are refreshingly larger than i thought they would be, modern and clean with beds and pillows you wish you could buy (but you can't). Finally, staff were awesome, if you are travelling go the "MODERN" way, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Best rooms to choose would be the pool side of the hotel, it is quieter with a larger view range.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Calvin65
Reviewed April 1, 2013

From the Sunday pool party (complimentary for guests), to the lovely decor in The Study (a bar in the lobby that opens up behind a secret wall in the lobby each night), to the amazing food at Morimoto, to the friendly and helpful staff, to our most fabulous ocean front suite (it's worth it for the view!) with its simple, yet elegant and beach-chic decor; everything was perfect.

This hotel is most definitely my top recommendation for any couples or friends visiting Oahu.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Adam D
TMHmgr, Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi Adam D,

Thank you for the great review! It seems like you truly maximized your experience while you were staying with us. Our tiny boutique hotel sits in a corner at the edge of waikiki, yet has so many different facets to see, explore and enjoy that by the time you leave you wonder if you've done everything there was to do while you were here. I especially love the revolving book shelf that secretly leads in to The Study and I'm glad you did as well. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your ocean front suite which offers panoramic views of the blue pacific ocean and the Ala Moana Marina Harbor. It was certainly a pleasure assisting you and I hope you'll make it back soon for another visit to Modern Paradise.