“Better than home? Maybe!”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I chose The Modern after a lot of online research, and loved it! (My N.Shore home was rented out, and I needed somewhere to stay, so I found a private vacation rental in Hawaii Kai, and The Modern. The Modern was great!) the decor is, as the name suggests, Modern - and very comfortable! I spent several nights on my own, and then a family member flew in to join me for a couple days. The room was clean and comfortable. The view was great (a partial ocean view, so the ocean, hotel pool, and the boulevard - with a great view of the Aloha Parade)! Room service was the breakfast method of choice, and did not disappoint! After checking out, I was back three nights later....a last minute booking to follow a celebration dinner at Morimoto Waikiki! The staff was wonderful, warm and welcoming! I plan to stay again!

Room Tip: Ocean or partial ocean view is best...great couples spot for romantic getaways! Very comfortable for...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DessertDiva208

Reviewed January 23, 2013

If you want a place close to Waikiki shopping and dining but not a pain to get in and out of by car, this is a good choice. The decor is trendy but not too clishe'd. The rooms are nicely appointed and the ocean side rooms provide nice breezes and great views of the marina and ocean beyond. Staff is helpful, especially the concierge and the lobby bar is a great place for a nightcap. The pool bar is a nice place to spend a relaxing afternoon, as well. The restaurant (flagship Morimoto's) has decent food but is pricey and won't meet the typical service expectations of big city foodies. Great walks along the beach are right out the back and the Ala Moana mall is two blocks away. The hotel attracts a younger (20's and 30's) demographic but fun for all. Staff is highly engaging and apparently encouraged to do so; expect a social experience all around.

Room Tip: Get something with an ocean view. Breezes are great and sunsets light the room with great color.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed at the Modern for only one night (as it was our last night before we headed back to the frigid cold). I figured that since it was our last vacation day to splash out and get an ocean front one bedroom. I have to say that yes it was pricey…would I pay that price if I was staying more than a day (no) but I also ended up getting a deal on it so it was manageable. I was very happy with the hotel. Aside from the lack of help when we first got there (no one to take our suitcase up the stairs when we arrived) I would give the hotel a good rating. Like most of my reviews I like to always itemize Pros and Cons/things to note

Pros:
1.Room: the room we had was a good size but for the price we were paying you would expect it. Not sure how big the regular rooms are. It was nice to have a separate bedroom. Also it had a real beachy feel to it – very bright.

2.Cleanliness: the room was immaculate. When people say the room was clean…this room was clean. I am really picky and could not find fault with anything. Not one stray hair to speak of.

3.Room amenities: slippers! I love the slippers they give you in nice hotel rooms. The toiletries were great. The TV had great channels. We had two balconies to watch the sunset. The mini bar is expensive but we just bought alcohol at the mall and enjoyed it in on our balcony watching the sunset (in real wine glasses).

4.Balconies: did I mention them – so nice to have outdoor space.

5.Service: aside from the one blip everyone was super friendly and helpful (not cold at all). We had a late flight (thanks Air Canada) so even though we had to check out by 1 pm later on we could come back to their spa and use their shower facilities and change before heading to the airport.

6.Restaurant: ate at Morimotos and it was good (here’s a tip – even though they don’t have edamame on the menu if you ask for it they will bring you some). I didn’t find it too overpriced and the service was excellent. Cool place to go (though I would have thought that at this restaurant you would not see people wearing shorts and flip flops…very odd as there was a mix of well-dressed people with those who still have not gotten the memo that in Hawaii you don’t have to wear a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops)

Cons/things to note: it can be pricey; the city views didn’t look that great; the shower had no water pressure; the pool area is small (but still nice); and, the location is further from Waikiki but on the positive (which I liked) it was close to the Ala Moana Centre. For me I enjoyed it as it was the first time I got an ocean balcony view in Waikiki and no sounds of the infamous morning garbage trucks/delivery trucks to wreck my sleep.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank statters
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the Modern for 6 nights in early September. The rooms are very clean, comfortable and had a modern decor. We had a partial ocean view room with a balcony facing the pool area, which we highly recommend. The pool area is very nice and the service very attentive and not at all pretentious. The hotel is located right across the marina, and is a 10-15 minute walk to Waikiki. This distance is perfect, as you're walking distance to the beach, restaurants and shopping, but removed just enough from the packaged tourist crowds. During the day, it's actually a nice walk along the beach in the mornings and during the sunsets. The hotel serves coffee in the lobby in the mornings. There's a convenience store located diagonally across from the hotel, and a public parking garage two blocks away that charges only $12 for 24hrs (the hotel valet was pricey). We didn't feel that this hotel was such a party place as we had read (maybe it was back in the day when it first opened) and didn't have any noise complaints. We thought about checking out the club downstairs but decided not to as the crowd we saw in line seemed pretty lame. We felt the staff was nice, helpful, and professional. The only thing that we can complain is that one morning we called them asking for utensils and they never delivered to us. But other than that, our stay was great and we highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DCFrequent_Traveller
Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Modern was exactly what we were after (& hard to find in Waikiki). It exceeded expectations.

Glamorous and Boutique- style, quieter end of the beach, relaxed atmosphere, great service and surrounds.

We could be as busy or relaxed as we wishes. Peaceful.

Two pools - one adults only (though there were few children at the hotel - it's not that kind if a venue).

Pool service attendants terrific - we never felt like a customer, more friendly! I must make particular mention of the concierges (Mark - wonderful in particular along with Stephanie when Mark was off-shift). This really made our stay so much better.

I'd recommend this hotel to any of my friends and plan to head back next December/January with a different group of friends.

The spa experience was amazing - a body polish and massage (sorry, I may have snored!). I think my therapist was Eddie (great again).

We stayed in an ocean view room, after being offered a well priced upgrade just before arrival. I'd request the same room again or book the one next door - with a balcony/lanai.

All in all - a wonderful trip and exactly what I needed.

Thanks Modern and staff!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent 6 nights at The Modern Honolulu and was able to obtain a free upgrade to a Partial Ocean View room. Service from staff was consistent and good. First night I checked in I was greeted with a towel and a glass of lemonade, something I did not expect.

Ordered room service dining three times and quality was excellent, also visited Marimoto's, quality service and food as well.

Great view, close to the beach. There are two pools to choose from, the adult only one was a major plus as it was quiet compared to the one on the lower deck.

Housekeeping was top notch, room was clean, and additional items like body wash/shampoo were provided without asking.

Another major plus was that I bumped into Ludacris with his bodyguard in the elevator one day. He was headed up to his presidential suite.

Overall, amazing experience for someone who's visiting Honolulu the first time. Might pay another visit later this summer again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank sudosandwich
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had a staycation right before I left for a long work trip and booked 2 nights at the Modern. The room was nicely appointed however, the staff service got the things we asked for but it wasn't the friendliest I've encountered. We also booked spa appointments that were so-so overall and totally not worth the price. The pool bar is typical of Waikiki prices ($12 mojitos) so we weren't too sticker shocked at our bill. You're probably better off getting a room at Halekulani or the Moana Surfrider for that price. Also, you'd think they'd have a bigger pool or even a jaccuzzi, but sad to say, this place is definitely lacking.

Room Tip: We were able to book a room for a special military price, but not sure if that promotion is always o...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends