“Great hotels it has all the entertainment you need”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here and at the Hilton Hawaii village resort. Room at the Modern was great and the food and service at the pool side was also fantastic. There's a night club and bar here that's pretty good and its very close to the shopping centre. i'd stay here again. I'm at the Hilton Village resort next door now and the don't do poolside dining which I took for granted!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed December 27, 2012

From the moment we checked in, the staff and service has been impeccable! The rooms are gorgeous. It is also an ideal location. It is so close to the beach and only a 10 minute walk to an ultimate shopping experience. The complimentary Internet has not worked well unfortunately. We had room service on our first night and Vincent was so accommodating. He even gave us beach recommendations even when they were swamped serving guests. I would definitely recommend this wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: I didn't think I would like a city view room but I do loved my view! This room type was less ex...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Picked this hotel after spending a couple of nights in Maui. The first hotel we stayed at was the Hilton Waikiki Beach and compared to that this was certainly more modern and "chic". My BF loved this place, especially the pool but for me it was a bit "too cool for school", with it's modern vibe which I felt was a bit out of place with Hawaii's laid back, beachy atmosphere.

Still can't really fault it for what it is - walkable distance to Ala Moana Shopping Centre, Morimoto's restaurant in house which was delicious, great service from everyone, the pool was nice and warm (although a bit too small for people who actually want to swim, it's more for lazing around and looking nice). Heard the club in this place is also really popular but was too exhausted to go.

If you like a really streamline modern design and are not too concerned about being far from Waikiki (I'd say about 10mins walk from the very end of the strip!), then stay here. If you're like me and prefer Hawaii more old school and down-to-earth, maybe skip it.

One more thing if you do stay here, it's walkable to the Ala Moana Beach Park which is a much nicer and less crowded beach than Waikiki!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for the 2nd half of my honeymoon, what can I say, simply beautiful very modern & contemporarythe hotel itself is located very very close to the beach, very close to all the food places.

The only down side was the free internet connection was not great in the rooms, however in the lobby we could connect perfectly to the wifi. Great car rental opposite the hotel, would highly recommend renting a car & taking a drive up the North Shore, we seriously enjoyed this. With in walking distance form the Alo Mona Shopping Mall…

I cant say enough about this hotel, having travelled around the world this is most definitely on of the better of the hotels.

Would recommend this all day long to any off my friends & family travelling to Honolulu

Thanks Guys

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank jagzy999
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We spent a week at the end of July. In general, staff really goes above and beyond. Anything you ASK they will provide. Ice, ropes, a fridge... you name it. Front desk night shift was really nice (the same guy works every night and he is really polite and helpful). Concierge desk was reeeeally helpful. We went to surf, 5 star diner cruise, took a trip to Maui, to volcano, etc. They can recommend a lot of good things to do and book a table in the best restaurants such as Alan Wong's, great food and service. Staff in the hotel really does their job, all 3 of them as I remember. I liked the 'blond guy' the most tho :-))(sorry forgot the name :/). Security staff is very polite.

Only person I didn't like was blond German server who works at the pool bar. Later I requested not to be served by her. Really not polite and pleasant person.

Best lounge in the Island is in the hotel, as well as the best Japanese restaurant. They should improve the pool menu. It is pricey and really bad. Champagne selection is poor and breakfast is really bad (American food but not good one). I don't want to go out of the hotel to have a late breakfast. So please until the next year... :)

The Modern is the only hotel in Honolulu with no kids or at least just a few decent ones. It is perfect for people between 25&45. I would def. go back again. :)

Room Tip: We had a sea view room on 11th floor but since sea is not right there it really doesnt matter which...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We spent 5 nights at the Modern Honolulu in the beginning of December. We ran the marathon and it was the perfect location for the starting line. This is a great property for anyone looking to enjoy O'ahu without the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Since the hotel is located on the edge of Waikiki you can enjoy a more relaxing environment or if you're looking for a day at the beach and shopping there's a path that leads over to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and the rest of Waikiki. The best of both worlds!
The hotel is also walking distance to Ala Moana Mall and the convention center.
The pool bar had interesting salads that were quite good and the library bar had great live music and top notch Manhattans!

It's trendy without being pretentious and stuffy. Rooms and property have a NYC boutique hotel feel planted in paradise.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Avoid Thursday, Friday, and Saturday stay if you don't want to wake up in the middle of night by loud music from club/partying on the 1st floor. I stayed for 8 days and these 3 nights were just plain awful. Not really 4.5 star-like experience. Staff service met expectation but didn't exceed.

• Stayed: December 2012