“great service with good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Modern Honolulu

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Hong Kong
“great service with good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Room are clean and bright ! Front desk ( Suki ) was very helpful and friendly ~ nice view from balcony , fresh air comein when you open the window ! The sunset pool is very nice ! One thing can be improved should be " PILLOW" , it just not supportive enough. But this is a great hotel . Must stay here again next time !

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,083)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The rooms are very large + well decorated.My only complaint is the wood trim around the foot of the bed . It caused me to bruise my ankle. The pool area is lovely,and has lots of comfortable seating.
There is free entertainment there most evenings. We would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Granny1957
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My biggest regret? Only being here one night. What a breath of fresh air! The property is beautiful, located on the quiet end of Waikiki, next to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor. There are no crowds and no chaos - instead, it's a lovely little oasis catering to adult travelers. The service is outstanding - employees remembered be every time I came in the front door and they bent over backwards when I needed anything. The rooms are beautiful and airy with a modern beach decor. The one downside is the futon bed (not my favorite), but otherwise, the Modern will be my business home in Waikiki from now on. I wouldn't recommend this property for children - it really does cater to adults. But there is a 21-and-over pool, so if you do have kids, they can play and have fun without mom and dad feeling guilty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
perth australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

A lovely hotel, definitely modern. The Concierge was extremely helpful and the front of house staff efficient and friendly.
Only slight issue was the slight confusion with the pool/breakfast area staff about serving breakfast. They were friendly and helpful but there was definitely a lack of understanding about the " breakfast included" menu and getting everything to the table. We were on vacation and not in a hurry but it could have annoyed me if I was.
However I will definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank luvtocycle
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I had an amazing 6 night stay at this beautiful property. We had the privilege of meeting the management and their professional staff and were treated like royalty. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Higher Floor!
1 Thank Silvianna
Chiba-shi, Chiba, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and me chose this hotel to stay at because of its nice pictures but we did not read concerning reviews which was a mistake. From the very beginning I did not like the place, because the lobby is too cold and dark to feel comfortable. Room was not available but to be honest we did not care about this that much because we were gonna take a historical trip to the Pearl Harbor Memorial. Anyway we had been waiting about 15 minutes for the second concierge coming and helping us to plan our trip while the first one was busy with another guests. We got a partial ocean view room as we booked but the room does not look that clean and new as it was at the pictures. There was a big oily stain on the carpet. One more surprising thing was soundproof between room and bathroom which is none! Bed sheets are changed once in a two days which is very questionable for the 5 stars hotel. Moreover, during the four days of our stay room cleaning stuff did not put any cotton pads and buds for us. The hotel stuff we communicated with were not rude but indifferent and definitely not friendly. Only one female person working at the pool area was polite and nice that level as it must be. Frankly, I cannot understand why the guest have to pay extras for the parking or room service at the hotel they stay at but I am not familiar to the American service, maybe, it is the same all around the US. Unfortunately the most disappointing thing about this place we realized coming back home. The hotel has charged us for three overnight parkings while we did parking only once. We did not checked our bill attentively at the time of check out because we have never experienced anything like that. After leaving a negative review the hotel's manager has contacted me and offered to solve the problem and refund all three night parking fees included that one we actually did plus some extra. It was a nice gesture and I would like to express my thanks personally to Mr. Barger who helped in this case. I cannot say I have totally changed my mind about the Modern but fortunately the manager's great job could improve my whole impression about the hotel from terrible to average. I wish I could give an excellent rate to this hotel some day.

2 Thank Anya N
vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here recently for 4 nights. Overall it was a good experience but we had a few things that kept it from being great.

First off and the biggest peeve was that the wi-fi is absolutely horrible and inconsistent. When we called to ask about the connection to see if it was down the response was that theirs was working fine.....Half the time we were not able to connect and when we did finally the connection was slow and timed out alot. This was using iPhones and iPads so not outdated equipment.

Secondly the staff at the front desk was not very helpful or friendly. We had booked our trip on Priceline which said for 1-King bed or 2-double beds. Confirm at check in. Well they gave us 2 double beds and when we went back to get the King, the girl at the desk made us feel like it was our fault because we booked on Priceline. On top of that she made it as it was a big favor that she found us a King room which we appreciated since we thought it was busy. Then we find out from another staff member that the hotel was only 40% occupany at the time......

Hotel was not entirely bad though. Decor was very sleek and modern and the food is great. Even the room service food was top notch.

A bit of a walk into the main area but not far by any means....maybe 15 mins walking. Our room had a city view which was a bit noisy with the club below and with street traffic but overall still not bad. Do request a higher floor if you're sensitive to noise when sleeping though!

Room Tip: city view is quite noisy
1 Thank schatzibear