“One very cool hotel!”

Ranked #5 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
London, United Kingdom
“One very cool hotel!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I loved everything about The Modern - it is so cool. The rooms were spotless, brand new, spacious and provided everything you'd need. They looked exactly like the photos on their website too. The pool areas and bars were also great - loved the fact that they had a shallow adult pool as well as the main pool. Service throughout our stay was excellent - staff were all polite and friendly, professional and unpretentious and helpful when asked anything. We had cocktails in the bar which were both excellent. Morimotos restaurant was also very good - I'd definitely recommend the Shrimp Tempura - it was just awesome! The hotel is 15 minutes by taxi from the airport ($30) and 10 minutes walk to the Ala Moana Shopping Centre. If I go back to Oahu I will definitely stay at The Modern again - and I rarely stay at the same twice, preferring to try new places. I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone wanting some laidback luxury. We stayed here for the last night of our honeymoon and we couldnt have chosen anywhere better!

Room Tip: There is a club at the hotel so we requested a room away from it and got a room on the top floor. We...
1 Thank India M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
C
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Loved the Modern Hotel, clean and contemporary, rooms are exactly as appears on website photos. The rooms as so clean and spacious, beds comfortable, marvellous views from room of harbour. Loved that the decor is not the norm 80's style floral with musty smell.

Being Australian and travelling to Asia alot, I find Hawaii's pool areas disappointing in general in comparison to Asian Resorts. The Modern would have to have one of the best pool areas on the strip, with its decking, garden, pretty lighted areas at night and choice of two pool areas.

The hotel is short 10minute walk, via beach or road to mad mile, and a delightful hop up the road to the number one tourist attraction to me, Ala Moana!

Modern is sexy and has a cool vibe

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Modern is a hotel I really like...I’ve stayed in it twice the last 8 months for more than a week each time. Cool vibe. Simple, sleek look. Great location. Some great staff. Service was hit or miss both stays.

You receive service or you don’t receive service. It might not seem like much but you do notice if you are on the ‘don’t’ side of things.
I was traveling solo and overlooked a lot. When others around you experience things you don’t, you do feel invisible.
Poolside was the most disappointing. Being overlooked by servers at the pool almost every day for over a week (both stays) was interesting. The good news is they saved me a lot of money...almost enough for another ticket back. Would I stay there again? Maybe. It fills many of the needs I had during my time in Honolulu. I know what to expect and what not to expect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank painter_sculptor
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Intimate atmosphere, warm service, and chic decor at The Modern made for a perfect tropical escape. The vibe is trendy without pretentiousness. Breakfast poolside was delicious as was Morimoto. Location was ideal since it is removed from overcrowded Waikiki, but still within walking distance to shops, restaurants, etc. The reason for 4 instead of 5 is because you may be asked to leave the pool area when a private event is booked. For photos and more, check out my blog post at: http://www.drawn2style.com/honolulu-hawaii/

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 3, 2012

When it comes to having a most restful vacation, you've got to make sure that it's not too far from the hustle and bustle of the city yet within the heart of where you want to be.

With that said, the Modern Honolulu, which was home to my final leg of my US Vacation this year was a great find!

Nestled in the heart of Honolulu, the Modern Hotel is everything that I had imagined - swanky, fun and I love the modern ambience. There are no screaming children. The concierge is perfect! The front desk is very helpful. Complimentary water is served daily and the ice bucket is filled to the brim each night. The room is kept spic and span and there's turn down each night. And the hotel smells fresh as the day, as you step into the edifice!

While we booked a suite (which was sprawling and had two verandas), the bed offered great sleeping comfort! The view was spectacular as both verandas oversaw the pool, the yacht club and Waikiki beach.

Breakfast was either by the poolside or at Morimoto Restaurant. And if you're one who would judge a breakfast or food by culinary standards, this is one hotel where you get to taste great cooking with two thumbs and two toes up! One shouldn't pass up the culinary feast of Chef Morimoto in the restaurant.

Five days and four nights went by quickly, but it was the best stay I've had in most of the hotels I have stayed in, in the United States. Especially for the fact that I had come from the Waldorf-Astoria in Orlando which was a let down and a far 5 (on a scale of 1-10) compared to the Modern Honolulu.

If you want to fall in love with Hawaii over and over again, I would highly recommend the Modern Honolulu. It's exactly what boutique hotels should be - swanky, fun, modern and pampering! What a way to cap a holiday!

Room Tip: pick a suite and get a direct ocean view. it should be worth the bucks to wake up to such a spectac...
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We just returned from our first holiday to Honolulu. We booked the Modern because it looked like the perfect place to relax at the end of our 6 week holiday! We stayed here for 4 nights and had breakfast by the pool 3 mornings. All the food was delicious! We had breakfast, room service and snacks by the pool and enjoyed all of it. The staff are extremely friendly and very prompt with bringing you food and drinks as soon as they can. We also needed to weigh all our bags before flying home and the bellman offered to take all our bags downstairs to weigh them then bring them back up for us - very helpful! The rooms can be a bit pricey but we got a deal through octopus.com which included breakfast so worked out quite a good deal. Would love to return to Honolulu and stay at the modern again. (also 5min walk to ala moana shopping centre!)

2 Thank keelz12
New York
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and having not have visited Hawaii before, had no idea what to expect. Now that I have been to Honolulu, I can't tell you enough how happy I was with my choice, The Modern. The hotel is spotless clean, new and doesn't have the stuffiness or cheesy feel like any of the typical, cookie cutter hotels that are on the stretch of Waikiki. The poolside food is superb, the beds are a comfortable touch and the service is great! I would have been disappointed had I chosen more expensive hotel. The beach area is the same but the hotel is certainly newer and hipper and younger.

• Stayed October 2012