“Much more than expected”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I am not quite sure what other people expect from a 5 Star hotel. Nor do I understand some of the negative comments posted here. We stayed for 5 night in the one bedroom suite. Check-in fast, friendly, and with a nice personal touch with the cold towel and drink. First impression of room was "WOW". Clean, spacious, tighty, lots of light, wonderful views, and easy on the eye. Staff went out of their way to get us anything we wanted (at anytime I may add too).
Asked for a coffee maker to be brought up to room and promptly got it for the entire stay with fresh coffee every morning. Smiles everywhere. It really seemed they liked what they were doing. From bell-hop to pool staff to bar staff to spa staff.
Bar staff at the pool made us feel welcome every night and day. Made one heck of a coconut Mohito. In addition I asked them to make a drink that was not on the menu, we googled it together and they zipped it right up.
The gym is small, however I never had to wait for a treadmill or other equipment (did workouts mornings and afternoons).
Location is great. Everything you need within walking distance. Restaurants, shopping, beaches.
Lots of comments about the hotel being noisy at night. Yes Friday night was a bit of a party at the pool, so instead of complaining, we joined in. Besides that, not noisy at all.
I recommend this hotel for people who like a little extra. Not necessarily a "kid" friendly hotel (did not see a lot of things for kids to do at the hotel), certainly more directed to adults, even so we saw lots of kids having fun in the pool.
Overall, a very STRONG recommendation. You will not be disapointed.
The staff make the difference. Lots of hotels with great rooms and views. Few that make you feel you are the only guest in the place.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room. If possible any room ending in either x10 or x11 (910 or 911 and so forth).
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rast67
Write a ReviewReviews (4,184)

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was our 3rd visit to Hawaii and my husband and I thought we would try another hotel closer to the main shopping centre and therefore chose the Modern based on the reviews. Big mistake! I should have listened to the warning bell after an email I sent when I booked the City View Room was never answered however, I chose to ignore it. We arrived via taxi to the hotel Monday morning after a very draining and long overnight flight from Australia. Whilst there were 3 staff at the entry of the hotel, not one came to assist us with our bags. Once inside there were a number of other guests waiting to check-in but given the outlay of the reception desks (there's a big pillar right in the middle), there was no orderly queue. We finally got served and as expected, the room was not ready however we were told there was another one available which had no view. Given we had just arrived and were exhausted, we agreed and when we got to the room, our view was that of the roof with all the airconditioning vents. I later queried the room rate with reception and was told it was the same price even if the room had a balcony which I found puzzling. I also noted at the time that another guest checking in had been provided hot towels for their use which is obviously not applicable for all guests! The pool is small and uninviting along with the clinical feel of an all white hotel. I have absolutely nothing complimentary to say about our stay and would definetely not recommend this hotel.

11  Thank Mel T
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I (32 years old) checked out of the Modern Honolulu today following a 10 day stay. Overall, we found the Modern to be a great, clean hotel in a convenient location offering many amenities. Our stay started off a little rocky when we arrived on a Friday night to a full hotel and the only room available was apparently one on the 4th floor. The nightclub Addiction is located within the hotel and is open till 3:00 in the morning Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. Unfortunately, the hotel is not soundproofed well and we were able to hear bass beats throughout the night. Our “ocean view” room looked out at the roof and air conditioning units and it was only once you went out on the balcony that we were able to see that lovely ocean view we had been looking forward to. With that being said, we talked to the front desk about being moved to a different room on Saturday, only to be told that the hotel was still full. I really didn’t want to be stuck on the 4th floor for another week and a half, so we waited to unpack and were able to move up to a room on the 10th floor on Sunday. This was MUCH better!

The rooms are very clean, white, modern and they were tastefully decorated with a cute splash of Hawaiian colour added through wall decorations. Our room had a comfortable bed, a large chaise lounge, a large flat screen tv with HDMI inputs and a bedside Ipod dock that allowed me to charge my IPhone. From what I can remember, the bathroom amenities included a hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner, body cleansing gel, body lotion, mouthwash, q-tips/cotton balls, and slippers. There was a safe, lint brush, shoehorn and iron/ironing board in the closet.

The really impressive part of this hotel is the pool areas. We spent most of our time at the 2nd floor adult pool which is really a very shallow water area surrounded by sand and comfortable chairs/beds. We never had difficulties finding chairs in our desired locations around the pool. We found the service to be much better at the lower level pool where they will put chair covers on your chosen chairs and provide you with towels upon arrival however, the day we spent at this pool there were many children having a great time, frolicking in the water, splashing and jumping in and out. We found the adult area to provide the relaxing atmosphere we were looking for. Towels are available to be used around either pool or to be taken to the beach which is only a couple minutes walk away.

If you are a runner, the hotel offers great routes either down Waikiki beach which includes sidewalk and sand running or along the boat harbor and through Ala Moana park which provides sidewalk running along the coastline. The Ala Moana Shopping Center is a large mall about a 10 minute walk away from the hotel. In the lower level, there is a Foodland grocery store where we were able to pick up fresh produce and stuff for making our picnic lunches when we did day trips out. There are small refrigerators in the rooms to keep groceries cold. There are also ABC stores all through Waikiki, one right across the street from the hotel. We bought swim rafts for $3 from the ABC store to use for lying at the beach, as renting chairs along Waikiki beach is expensive and most of the beaches around the island don’t have beach chair rentals.

We did many pre planned tours while we were there but on three of the days, we wanted to rent a car to explore. I strongly recommend talking to the concierge at the hotel who will set you up with a car from Enterprise right across the street. They get very good rates and I checked into various options but the pricing and convenience that the concierge was able to provide was unbeatable! Parking offered by the hotel is strictly valet at a cost of $28 per day. While the valet guys all seemed very nice and I’m sure the come and go system they provide for that works well, it was more expensive than we were interested in. The good news for those value conscious people out there is that there is much cheaper parking available all around the hotel. All the way along the Ala Wai Harbour which is just behind the hotel, there is parking available for $1/hour and we were gone for most of the day that we had a rental car so we just paid $10 a night. Some of the stalls even offer a $6 all day rate.

The other recommendation I have is to talk to the concierge if you are interested in going to the Cheesecake Factory for supper. It offers an amazing location for people watching if you get a table outside and seems to be the busiest restaurant in Waikiki with average waits of over an hour to get in. They don’t take reservations but if you talk to the concierge, they can call and will probably be able to put you on a call ahead list which provides you with a wait time that is half whatever everyone else has to wait. We did this and only had to wait 35 minutes for an outside table even though they were quoting 70 minutes to the other people in line. The concierge staff was very friendly and also provided us with printouts outlining 2 different driving routes to follow – one with recommendations for stops up to and along north shore and one for the southeast part of Oahu.

On Friday nights, Hilton Hawaiian Village which is just down the beach from the Modern, sets off fireworks. The pool deck at the Modern provided a good location to watch them. Magic Island is a short walk from the hotel at the tip of Ala Moana park and it was a great place to watch the sunset.

Check out was at 12:00; we were able to get a late checkout for 1:00 but we were not being picked up until 7:45. Fortunately, the hotel had no problems storing our luggage for us and they allow guests in those situations to use the spa facilities to get cleaned up. In the spa bathrooms there are showers with many little amenities including shampoo, conditioner, razors, disposable brushes and combs, hairspray, blowdryer, etc. All in all we were very pleased with our stay at the Modern and would probably stay there again in the future. With that being said, we would recommend they do some work soundproofing for the people on the lower floors on weekend nights!

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors will be quieter on the weekend when the nightclub downstairs is open.
1  Thank Kristin E
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Modern for three nights recently. I found the hotel to be very comfortable and the staff to be very friendly.

The feel of the hotel was very adult friendly, and much better than typical resorts where you have a bunch of screaming kids at the table next to you.

It's close to Waikiki and it was good value for money. I would definitely choose the Modern next time I am in Honolulu. Also, Morimoto is excellent.

1  Thank kaixinboy
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A nice hotel located outside of the busy Waikiki area. Very clean and updated. Walking distance to Ala Moana Shopping Center, the beaches and main Waikiki strip. If you needed anything in the room, like ice, you would have to call Guest Services, which sometimes took awhile. There are no vending machines or ice machines on any floor. For a cheaper breakfast, don't eat at the hotel, walk 5 minutes down the street to IHop or Wailana Coffee Shop. The valet parking fee is ridiculous, $28 a night. Park across the street at the Red Lobster Building for $20 a night, with in and out priviledges. The hotel driveway was often crowded and busy, one afternoon I blocked the entrance to the driveway, cause it would have been awhile before I would exited the driveway, so that my girlfriend could get in the car, but an impatient valet employee was giving us the stink eye.
On another occasion, I was ready to take a shower at 11am, but there was not water. The hotel failed to notify us of this issue. Also, a fight broke out from party, that 7 police cars and an ambulance were called in.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nomoretummy69
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I recently stayed at the Modern Honolulu. service and staff exemplary. the concierge services outstanding and they couldn't have been more helpful and very understated and not over the top! a welcome relief!
Excellent live music in the bar and again great service that wasn't over the top!
only negative was the cost of the breakfasts which was excessive!

1  Thank J T
Reviewed August 25, 2012

While traveling on Business is rough ... you can't complain if you are booked into The Modern Honolulu for your business trip to Oahu. The hotel is fresh, welcoming and close to the Convention Center (5 min walk). Staff is welcoming, decor is modern and "white", and the restaurant is unbelievable. Beds are comfortable, lanais big enough, showers modern, and amenities are good. If you must go to Oahu and don't want to stay in a crowded tourist hotel, try this one!

Room Tip: Higher up ocean view and with a lanai
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business