The Modern Honolulu
$420
TrumpHotels.com
  • Pool
Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$182
$169
$208
$172
  • Beachfront
Ramada Plaza Waikiki(Honolulu)(Great Value!)
$208
  • Breakfast included
$163
$159
  • Beachfront
Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa(Honolulu)
$243
$199
4,305 results
All reviewsthe studymorimoto restaurantsunrise pooliron chefday bedpool areawaikiki beachala moana shoppingour honeymoonadult poolamazing hotelmain poolmin walkpool staffturn down servicepartial ocean viewthe main strip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We only stayed at the Modern as a stop over in Honolulu so I can't say as much for those guests who are planning to stay for the whole duration of their vacation. The rooms are very modern and up-to-date which we really appreciated. We had a corner city view room which was great for us as we weren't looking for anything spectacular. I would suggest to try and get a room at a higher level as the club is very close and the music is booming. We enjoyed Morimoto's Restaurant downstairs :) The only downside is that the hotel does not have it's own beach, but it isn't far from the Ala Moana beach park.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2012

Don't be fooled by the nice pictures and descriptions. This is the worst hotel I have had the misfortune to stay in. My room was above an in-house nightclub which stays open and kept me awake until almost sun up, if you have a family don't even consider, my 2 year old wasn't allowed in the level 2 1 foot deep pool as it is apparently "adults only" even though there were no adults to be seen as the pool bar is down on level 1. On day 5 when I had had enough and arranged moving hotels the management was ok with that and told me that I could have a refund for the last 2 nights I had paid for, when I get back to Australia they had changed their minds and told me there was nothing I could do now I was in Australia. Stay here at your peril. They are a disgrace. 1 star is too many.

Room Tip: Avoid this one
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
14  Thank Simon_Jasper
Nic B, Manager at The Modern Honolulu, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

Mr. Jasper, it is very sad and disheartening to our entire staff that you left with such negative feelings about our hotel. We take great pride in providing impeccable service at a hotel that is very unique in Hawaii.
One of the features that make our hotel unique is our Private Sunset Pool. This wading pool has gorgeous views of the harbor and Pacific Ocean, a hammock, daybeds and great places to lounge and enjoy a cocktail. You are correct that this area is only for our 18+ guests at the hotel. We feel it is important to have a quiet oasis away from the hustle and noise of Waikiki for our adult guests to relax.
Although we want to grant every guests request, at times we simply can't do that if it comes at the expense of other guests staying in the hotel. I was hopeful that several of the other alternatives that you and I had discussed would have worked for you and your family while you were staying here.
I personally guaranteed that we would refund your remaining 2 nights and I can assure you I will follow through with that guarantee. My commitment to all hotel guests doesn’t end simply because they left the hotel. If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. Mahalo!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

Many hotels in Honolulu have a worn down feeling, down from its peak from the 70s. While this hotel was a revamp of an existing building, they did extremely well in modernizing it. Nothing makes a hotel worse for me than cheap fixtures and hacks (dingy yellow ceiling lamps, crappy elevator buttons which are chipped away, cheapo bathroom sinks, leftover tiles and crappy shower curtain for a bathtub), and this hotel has done above and beyond to make it new and fresh.

Rooms are clean, fresh including the bathroom and shared areas such as the hallways and lobby. The elevators were a bit slow at times even though there were I believe 3 or 4 of them, but then again that's just how it is in some hotels. The breakfast was quite pricey, I believe roughly $30 for the main set, but there are many places nearby in walking distance for other options.

We would 100% stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Peachtreec
Reviewed May 30, 2012

In april we enjoyed a fantastic stay at the beautifull Modern Hotel in Waikiki.

The international staff offered a great service. The hotel is very trendy (not hawaiian style), which is recommendable for European guests. Breakfast which is served outisde nearby the pool was delicious and affordable. Late afternoon we enjoyed live music at the pool which created a good atmossphere. We will be back

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2012

The Modern is a trendy looking hotel in a quiet location in Honolulu. It takes about a 10-15 minute walk to get to Waikiki beach and some of the restaurants and shops nearby. This didn't bother me too much as I used the hotel primarily for sleep and drove around the entire island during my stay in Oahu. The white on white look can look a little psychward-esque in some hotels but the Modern has a slightly refined style that makes the public areas and the rooms look sophisticated. I used the gym quite a bit during my stay and was pleased that no one else seemed to be in there when I was using it. The gym has a few treadmills and ellipticals, a weight rack with dumbbells (50lb. max) and a weight tower with various attachments. The pool and pooldeck were nice. It reminded me of being in the Hamptons. Uptempo music is played on speakers which gives the pool and bar area a nice vibe. Service at the pool though is lacking. It takes forever to get a drink and the pool attendant doesn't hustle to clean up used chaise lounges or get fresh towels. The valets out front deserve special recognition. I saw them sprint to get my rental car quite a few times.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room. It's only a little more but totally worth it since the rooms are on the quieter side of the building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple