“Great Hotel, wonderful staff and great location”

The Modern Honolulu
Ranked #7 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed January 7, 2012

By my standards this hotel was a five star.

The hotel is very clean and comfortable, the room was beautiful. The staff always very helpful and the location was close to everything. Great customer service! When you are greeted with cheerful smiles it makes all the difference. The hotel is fairly new and they still seem to be ironing out some of the procedures but the staff is so great it is never a problem.

The concierge service was extremely helpful. We dealt mainly with Stephanie she was so wonderful. At first it was a little difficult for me because I was expecting to find information at the hotel. They have no pamphlets on site. Everything is so clean and sleek. They provide free internet so you can check everything out on your computer. Then they make all arrangements and suggestions and there is always someone available to answer questions. The front desk staff are also wonderful.

The pool was beautiful and we were sad that we did not have the opportunity to go to the restaurant on site it was always so busy and had we planned ahead we may have been able to get reservations.

We did many activities including surfing lessons, sailing and snorkelling, rented a car and travelled around the island, Para sailing, etc. everything was amazing. The highlight for our whole family including my teenage children was the visit to Pearl Harbour with its great museums, visiting the submarine and the monument was overwhelming. It was an amazing experience and not to be missed if you visit Oahu.

We loved everything about our trip and would most definitely visit Oahu and the Modern hotel again in the future. Thanks to all the staff at the Modern for making our trip so memorable.

Room Tip: We had a city and ocean view and were on the 16th floor. We did not have a balcony but it was reall...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank izzyb569

Reviewed January 7, 2012

Modern Hotel is in the best location in Waikiki within walking distance to every shop & restaurant imaginable and also very close to the Ala Moana mall (best mall I've ever been to!)  Staff, from Gabrielle at the front desk to the valet guys, are incredibly friendly and helpful with everything from copying documents to providing change and advising where to go to get your nails done!  The rooms are very hip, modern, clean and comfortable.  Love the linens even down to the bath mat!!  Having my own personal patio which overlooks the marina and ocean is such a treat; love sitting out there to watch the sunset each night!!! The furniture is not only stylish but extremely comfortable; love the chaise, patio chairs and bed!!   The pool area is large and comfortable and the bar behind the revolving book case is too cool for words!  Having the morimoto restaurant downstairs is an added bonus!  I can't recommend this hotel enough whether staying for business or pleasure; short or long term!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank destes
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I had a very enjoyable stay, the service was wonderful, the rooms nice and roomy, good view of the ocean, the food was good, the pools were wonderful, could lounge and watch the sunset, very short walk to beautiful beach. Fun for all ages!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Annette H
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I got a great deal on this hotel BUT you have to order ice from room service. What? A tip is not what I want to pay just to make a drink. I understand they want me to buy their expensive drinks but that is not always on my agenda. The pool service is great-no issues there. The crowds out in the driveway at night (the bar crowd) are a little overwhelming. I felt their focus was on the clubs they have in the building. I will go back to a simpler atmosphere on my next trip. You have to smoke outside on the driveway and I did, but was questioned about smoking in my room, which I didn't!

Room Tip: Pay for a balcony otherwise you get a window that opens with a rail!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Perfect place for a peaceful vacation. We enjoyed every minute! Great pool area, very friendly staff, nice modern room. Morimoto's restaurant was also amazing!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SinceMay2009
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Got a good deal with one of those bid sites. Two adults and two kids (8 and 22). Not our typical style, but worked out very well. The hotel is good, pool small but warm, service great. Morimoto's restaurant is great and may set the tone for the whole hotel. Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Leroi L
Reviewed January 1, 2012

The rooms were quite appealing to the eye. The bed was very comfortable. I was on the fifth floor and could hear and feel the music from the nightclub below till 3 am each night. Had to have a maintenance technician come fix my aircoditioner due to a loud noise it was making. He arrived immediately after the call and was quick and professional. Nice pool and pool atmosphere. Checking in took forever. The gym was appropriately equipped. Overall not a bad place if you can get a high floor.

• Stayed: December 2011