“Not our original choice but turned out to be AWESOME!”

Honolulu Scuba Company
$516.16*
Open Water Scuba Certification
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Honolulu Scuba Company is closest dive center to Kewalo Basin Harbor in Honolulu. We provide free transportation to and from Waikiki. Besides daily tours for certified dives and first timer divers, the dive center offers a full range of services: retail scuba equipment and accessories, air and nitrox fills, and full on site service center, rebreather support and training, and a full range of PADI courses that can be organized on either visitor or resident schedules.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Before we came to Oahu this trip, I looked into different dive ops. When we were her 2 years ago, I didn't like the op we used then, they sharted a bout with 3 other dive ops. So after reading scubaboard.com, we were set to go out with another one that had hi reviews there. However, they didn't return numerous calls or emails asking about place & time to meet. I was quite upset by this, so we drove over to Kewalo Harbor anyway to see if we could find them. Instead, we saw one dive boat with the captain sitting on top. We told him of our troubles and asked if they had room. He called his shop and they sent over more tanks. They were fabulous. They have their own boat, the MoeMac and will rent space out to another dive op (but only 1 at a time). Capt. Brian was great. He accomadated us in an instant. We went out twice with them. (Even after the one shop that stood us up called and explained there had been a death in this family). I don't know why a reviewer had a negative post about these guys. We didn't have Victor but he was a typical DM with a sense of humor and had me laughing all the time. Smell? Yes, sometimes you smell fule, you are on a boat! And the boat was great too. I liked how they have a stair at the back of the boat for you to sit on and put your fins on. Not a huge cattle car either so you don't have to worry about water getting all mucked up by numerous divers. One day, our guide was Lacy. We dove the Yo/San Padro and Kewalo Pipe. SHe was great at finding rare & very rare fish on the Pipe. Next day we had Nate. He was awesome too, recogniuzing that we were experienced enough (my husband is a DM and asst instructor). He alllowed us to leave his site on the Sea Tiger while he had 2 other divers that hadnt been in the water in years. He knew that wuold slow us down. Our second dive was back to Kewalo Pile as all other sites had poor viz. Turns out so did the Pipe, LOL, sometimes as bad as 2 feet. There was a sweel that came in the day before.
Dive sites here can be great one day and crappy the next. You cant blame a dive op for that.
I plan on diving with them next time and I highly recommend them over all others.
Maholo

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Excellent company, I have taken three certifications with them. Knowledgable staff, stocked pro shop, and they operate their own boat, meaning they don't book on another company's boat and set their own schedule and dive sites. Crew is both professional and entertaining, making for a fun dive every time.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

A couple friends and I are stationed out here in Pearl Harbor and wanted to get certified in scuba diving and we looked around at a few dive companies and when we found Honolulu Scuba Company we just knew these were just the right guys! The crew are really friendly and really know their stuff, Alexa and Brain are quite the team both very knowledgeable on the equipment they offer and also on the dive trips. The boat is the only one in harbor that is actually designed for scuba diving and all the rental gear is up to date and looks presentable. The dives are a lot of fun and we get to see some pretty cool things, but the crew is what puts them over and beyond they are able to balance a friendly but professional relation with the customers and always have safety and a good time their top priority. Tons of fun with this company highly recommend Alexa, and Brian as well!!

1  Thank Bryan M
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I dove earlier today with Nate on the Sea Tiger and on Nautilus Reef. He did a great job briefing the dive, and we had a great time on the wreck and again on the reef. I really appreciate this company's approach to having small groups. So much better than dumping divers in off the back, and having them go at it by themselves.

I'm definitely diving with this company again, and I highly recommend Nate as your dive master.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

What can I say about Honolulu Scuba ? What a fantastic group of genuinely NICE People! After having two other dive outfits cancel their dives with us - Honolulu Scuba stepped up and created a dive week that made our trip to Oahu one of memories that will last a life time. Forget about the great guided dives on some great wrecks and nice reefs - and an amazing Friday night dive (prom night on the boat???- what a great idea!). We did a total of 5 trips (10 tanks) in four days with Honolulu Scuba - four dives in one day - where Brian (the store manager) sent out the boat with just my girlfriend and I and just one more diver! Even though they had to lose money on the trip - they made it possible for us to experience a great spot where few busier boats can visit.

Let me tell you about the staff: Vic - An 'eccentric' but truly a nice man - he's a PADI instructor with a sense of humor that grows on you - but in all his kidding, he put safety first as he worked with my girlfriend on her Advanced Open Water - He teaches with humor (sometimes STRANGE humor) but he was respectful and considerate -

Lacey - the other Instructor on the boat - she's a classy lady and had the patience of a saint as she led beginner divers or worked with them on their Open Water certifications.

Hector - the Captain - a retired military man with a great composure and professional demeanor- yet a friendly and welcoming captain.

Stephanie - she does only weekend stuff but on our Prom Night Dive - she rocked in a blue prom dress as we dove to the Sea Tiger wreck - and made us feel extremely special on the boat between dives.

Erika - she's the newest diver on the crew - but has a great personality and will be a great asset to this company

Finally - Alexa: The reason we chose Honolulu Scuba - when we called after our two other companies cancelled our dives - she was responsive and pleasant. We turned the car around and headed to the shop and Alexa worked with us to put together our 10 dives. She even came in on our last day (Saturday) just to dive with us. She's a ball of fire and if you get a chance to dive with her - you'll not regret it!

I'm an experienced diver and my girlfriend is a relatively new diver. And even though some of the boats had first timers - I never felt as if I was 'shorted' in my dive experience. Our bottom times were within tables; not rushed - no sense of 'hurry' so we can get the next boat out. We took our time and enjoyed every single dive.

Even though the visibility on the last day was not the best; the experience was a 10!

I've been on a lot of different dive boats in many different locations - Honolulu Scuba Company is 'HANDS DOWN' the best I've been on - they truly made us feel special.

Thanks!