“Decent Place”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Waikiki
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Went there for dinner. Had the eel cucumber roll, spicy tuna roll, miso soup, and an appetizer. The miso soup and appetizer were too salty, but everything else was good. I'd go back.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

We made reservations to eat here. We ate outside in the alleyway which was nice. The inside seats maybe 15. Everything we ordered was great(rainbow roll, tuna belly, dumplings, sashimi...) I would I back just to have more of that tuna belly.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

This hole-in-the-wall is located in an alley (next to Big Wave Dave Surf shack & a musubi store) located behind Hyatt Regency. It's run by a "mom & pop" and they serve quality home-style Japanese food @ reasonable prices. The place is very small, and they can run out of certain dishes quickly. No worries, just ask the "mom" to recommend something else. The menu board is all in Japanese, but they have a translation menu. Most patrons seemed to be Japanese tourists & locals who about this place (b/c it's tucked away in an alley). It's easy to miss this place walking by. We had the steamed beef tendons, grilled octopus, & the Volcano (a spicy, baked seafood dish), rice & miso soup set; all were delicious & filling. Our bill for 3 ppl was ~$30; a deal in touristy Waikiki. Definitely will return to try something else on the menu; as we are in the know about this place.

1  Thank TravelTea
Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stumbled by this restaurant. It's clean and has a small Japanese restaurant feel.

We went for lunch once at 2:30 with 2 young kids (4 and 5) and they were very nice. They had kids bowls and stuff. We thought the ramen,/curry combo, pork combo, and chirashi don was very good. The sashimi was very fresh! The price is very affordable for the Waikiki location.

They have a sign for credit card acceptance for over $20. When the bill came, she asked if it's ok if we she added 15% tip on it. I thought it was fine.

We went again a few days after for dinner. Very fresh sashimi again. We had poke, seaweed salad, oden, rainbow roll, california roll, uni/scallop roll, and a can of pop. Came to $60 incl tax.

I would totally recommend this place for their fresh seafood. You will easily pay $20 for a rainbow roll if u got o places on Kalakaua Avenue. Here it was only $10.

2  Thank mommy_from_YVR
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We'd heard about Hana no Sato as a good place for a great Japanese breakfast via word of mouth, but never got to try it. We went there a few times in the morning, but found it closed. I'm not sure if they stopped serving breakfast or what, but we had no luck with that. We did get there for lunch one day, so that is what this review is about. This restaurant is a real "hole in the wall" type of place. It is run by an older Japanese (or Japanese-American) woman who does the serving and a younger guy who does the cooking, and is located hidden off the street in a little apartment-type complex next to a bit more prominent musubi restaurant (which looked good, but which we never got to try). I usually like to try these types of places because one can discover some real off-the-beaten-path gems. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case for us.

I ordered a bowl of ramen, and my wife a ramen and fried rice combo. For those who have never tried real Japanese ramen, it is truly a full meal (unlike the 99-cent noodles most of us ate in college). You get good noodles cooked in a tasty broth, usually with vegetables and a slice of roasted pork. A lot of ramen places have their own "secret" recipes that they use to give their noodles a unique flavor. The ramen at Hana no Sato was pretty bland, and the veggies and pork portions were not very generous. It didn't taste much better than what I can make at home with the frozen noodles I get at the nearby Asian market. The fried rice was fine, but nothing special. The total meal came to around $18 including tax, a pretty normal price for Honolulu

Aside from the meal, the service experience was a little weird. When we arrived, I asked if they accepted card, and the server (the aforementioned Japanese lady) said they did. When we got the check, the server made it a point to say out loud (to no one in particular) that they didn't include the tip in the check, and so I should pay her 15% or 20%. I'm sure their primary clientele are Japanese, so I understand that she likely has to explain that they do observe / expect the American tipping custom, but it wasn't the most polite way of doing so. Anyway, I went to pay with the card, but the server then informed me that they only accepted payment by card if the bill was over $20. I'm used to smaller establishments having a minimum amount for card payments, but $20 is as high as I've seen anywhere. It would have been $20 with the tip included, but she was quite firm that the bill itself had to be over $20. In my wallet I had exactly $18 (enough for the check, but not the tip). So I paid the check and noted to her that since I didn't have enough cash, I'd have to go find an ATM for the tip (hint: take the card). She took the cash and gave no reply. So while my wife and 18-month-old daughter waited, I walked three blocks, found an ATM, got cash, brought it back, and put 15% in the tip jar, the proprietor eying me the entire time from when I walked back into the store to when I inserted the cash in the jar.

If you find this place open for breakfast, I've heard it's worthwhile. Even then, we had a nice Japanese breakfast at another place (whose name escapes me) nearby, so my guess is that you'd be better of elsewhere. I've met plenty of quirky proprietors in my travels, and if the food is good, it's just one of those funny stories you remember later. In this case, the food wasn't good either.

3  Thank rooster3888