“Tear It Down!!!”

Ranked #80 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Santa Rosa, Ca
“Tear It Down!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

The worst place I have ever stayed in, in my life. I traded Christmas week in a luxury time share in San Francisco for the Roach motel. No where to park the car to even unload luggage. No staff after 9:00 p.m. The stereo only played tapes. Really!! Tapes?? Does anyone own a tape.?? The beds were like sleeping on a wooden slab with a grass mat. The place smelled badly. It was dirty. The carpeting must have been the original piece of carpeting invented and "still in place." No shampoo and conditioner. To get to your room you had to go by an apartment building that had balconies with people sleeping on them. There is a strip club right outside the door with scantily clad girls trying to lure people in. Not a family friendly location. If you want an extra towel, it is $2.50. Don'tgo there if you expect any kind of amenities.
If RCI sticks you there demand to be moved. We arrived on Sat. afternoon and they moved us on Mon. morning to a very nice place.
RCI needs to dump this place. It is not fair to RCI members, We pay a lot of money for these timeshares and they should be more discerning about there accommodatins or represent them as they really are.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank JoanCooper2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

If your looking for a luxury hotel then this is not the place for you. If your looking for some place to eat sleep and get back out and enjoy the island then this is the place for you. We visited Hawaii because we attended a wedding. I stayed here with my hubby and 2 year old son. While everyone else was stuck on some far part of the island. We were in the middle of everything. Everything was in walking distance from us. ATM, Any restaurant you can think of, the market, the malls and by the way the beach is just a hop skip and a jump. (1 block away) OMG.. If your looking for an upscale luxurious hotel then yea you will be disappointed. But why go to Hawaii, Waikiki to be in a luxury hotel and pay luxurious money when there is sooo much to see and do outside. Also I would suggest to plan your trips ahead of time. Apply for the go card so you can get a taste of every aspect of Hawaii if your into advertures definetly take a trip to the big islands. The tour guides/trips were very organized. Overall we had a phenominal time. I would def do it all over again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank ngiovanni
Fernandina Beach, Fl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

Frankly I don't know why all the bad reviews, Kuhio Banyan is a very simple place. It is great for a jumping off place for all your site seeing. What more do you need. Great location, Very nice, helpful staff! Thanks Joanie, Jiselle and Andrew! Yes the place could use updating, but it was clean and had everything we needed, my only complaint is that the murphy bed was to hard for my tastes, but hey I was in Hawaii, and I had a great time. There are places to eat any where you walk, really loved the Seaside Restaurant, corner of Seaside and Kuhio, good food, nice staff, and Puka Dog at the entance to the International Market, Great dogs and the Best lemonade I've ever had.
I will definitely go back if I ever get the chance, Thanks Kuhio Banyan!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eknliz
Hamburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

Where to begin? For how much my husband and I pay for a timeshare, ANY timeshare in the RCI network should NOT look like this. I understood I took risks when I switched out, but I thought RCI had SOME standards. First of all, BUGS. I am a bug phobe. There were two baby cockroaches and a FULL sized one found in our one week stay (and by full size, I mean by Hawaiian standards. The kind that grow to deathly sizes). I pay for a two bedroom timeshare normally, but the bedrooms that they had in my building were awful. They didnt have a bedroom. Not kidding. There was a murphy bed (one that comes from the wall), and two that were created if you removed the couch cushions, and I dont mean fold-out. The kitchen was well stocked, and the staff was nice. However, it doesnt help if the staff is nice if there is only one, to two people working. Lines were always horrendous at the front desk.
Furthermore, my husband was born and raised in Hawaii, so he is by all standards "local," and there is some stigma to being in Waikiki. If you are looking to do tourist things, then Waikiki is the place to be, but it is by no means "authentic Hawaii." If you are looking for authentic Hawaii, please travel beyond the borders of Waikiki.
ONE OF THE WORST things were the prostitutes. In my fathers days, the prostitutes congregated on Hotel St. NOW they are on KUHIO Ave!!!! Their Samoan pimp and his backup were on every corner. If I weren't with my husband he would have gotten mobbed by prostitutes!!!!!!!!!
It was also very crappy to stay on back side of the building. You are literally about 6 feet from the balcony of section 8 housing. Beware! Theres even underwear in the TREE inbetween the two balconies...unable to be retrieved and removed!!!

If you DO want Waikiki its the place to be, but DO NOT expect luxury!!!!!!
The only good thing I have to say is that the kitchen was well stocked and the staff was nice.

ALSO, NO PARKING!!!! You can pay for a garage nearby THROUGH Kuhio Banyan Club, at a cheap 14 dollars a day about two blocks away. Thats not too bad, but dont expect any parking AT Kuhio!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
7 Thank hamosolo

Travelers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

I stayed at the Kuhio Banyan Club in Nov 2009 for 1 week on an RCI exchange. It was a wonderful location in the heart of Waikiki Beach, and yes it was hard to find as it does not really look like a hotel the way the entrance is. Out front is a court yard area, a night club, nail Salon and a Subway, on the corner of the block is an amazing Philly Cheesesteak Place with good food for decent prices.
The staff were helpful and very friendly and the rental of the beach chairs, boogie boards etc was awesome to have.
The room was disappointing, I "think" it was clean but really can't be sure as everything was so old and worn it didn't "feel" clean. We used the fridge but I would not have wanted to cook anything there, and I wore my flip flops to shower....
The bed had the topper on it and was comfortable.
We didn't spend a lot of time here so it wasn't a big deal but I don't know that I would stay here again....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nikkimet
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

The equivalent of a roach motel at its best, but sometimes budget leaves no choice..........why pay $150 + + for other hotels when you are in Waikiki, out of your room most of the day sightseeing and on the beach??? Location of this hotel can't be beat for the price, though if you really think of all the fees you pay for maintenance fee on your own resorts, this is not a cheap stay. It is upsetting.......to say the least
We looked at the reviews, but nothing compared to the shock when we walked in. I was in the military and backed packed quite a bit, but my daughter, you could see the disappointment in her eyes. What saved me the next day was the location. You are right on Waikiki, and I had the GO Oahu card, had arranged all the tours, therefore we only came in to sleep. Not the most comfortable sleep, a Murphy bed, with a TV that you can't watch once you open the bed, but we were so tired from our day out that it really did not matter. I only recommend this "resort" Ha ha ha......if you are on a budget. Staying here allowed us to do other things. Oahu is expensive, if you are traveling with kids, bring cereal to get you started on your day. A box of cheerios or Honey clusters is $7.00 milk $9.00 gallon........ peanut butter 3.00 for an 8oz as well as jelly same price. International Market across the street, thursdays is farmers market, lots of reasonable priced fruit, after paying 3.80 for two apples, 99cents for a banana.
The staff was friendly, that and the location made up for the terrible accommodations. They should at least splurge on replacing the mattress and replacing the covers on the small couches. The bathrooms also need a lot of help. I had second thoughts about sitting on the couch. Ok for two people, but 4 would be impossible.......
The 19 takes you from and to the airport, no need to pay for a shuttle unless you have lots of luggage. Roberts Hawaii dominates the sightseeing market and they are the most reasonable for airport shuttle, I think 15 or 16 bucks round trip. 19 bus $2.25 stops right in-front of the "resort" ha ha ha. No need to rent a car. The Bus and the trolly's take you everywhere. I would recommend this only if you are on a budget. Hawaii is over rated...... Oh! you have to pay, an additonal $70 something for the use of beach towels, chairs, and hotel tax. You have to "sign out the blow dryer, iron, ironing board. No shampoo, and cheap soap so take your own. Sun screen is not expensive is the same price and you don't take the chance of the airport personnel keeping your sun screen...... Subway in the complex, as well as a Japanese take our fast food, pretty good and reasonable. Also they have a restaurant similar to Benihana's that was good and reasonable. I think the name was Takana or Tanaka??? sp

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank lec77
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2010

When we first arrived the door was locked because our flight was late. We had to stand on the curb for 3 hours until someone came to open the office. While waiting there was a homeless person on the steps of the hotel throwing up. We then entered the most claustraphobic (sp?) elevator in the world. You have to make two trips to get two people and suitcases upstairs(slim people). We unlocked our room door (lock looks like a bathroom lock) and walked back into the late 70s early 80s. The room was clean but the stained carpets and chairs did not feel clean. The bathroom tiles were mildewed. Needless to say, we left to stay at the Marriott on the beach. This hotel is two blocks from the beach. The hotel is okay if you are drunk frat boys looking for a place to "crash" for spring break.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple