“I'm a Fan!”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Hawaii
“I'm a Fan!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

For several months, I had watched as a co-worker would come into the lunch room bearing a plate accompanied by a bag of wrapped bread, a telltale giveaway so that we would immediately know, without even asking, where he went to get his lunch -- Masa's Cafeteria. And, finally after drooling over his meals and fascinated by a place that gives out wrapped bread, a group of us made a field trip to check out Masa's for ourselves. And, it didn't disappoint! We went on a Thursday when the special was oxtail soup! And, I must say the oxtail soup from Masa's was one of the best I've ever tried. Not to mention there was a generous portion of peanuts, which is always a bonus in my book when it comes to oxtail soup. The portion size was generous, too. They did not skimp on the meat, and the meat they gave was not overly fatty. It was a well-portioned meal at a decent, fair price. Several folks in our group had the oxtail soup. There were other items on the menu, too, but, the oxtail is what I came for, so I think the only way I could comment on the other food items is if I came to Masa's Cafeteria not on a Thursday and oxtail was not available. Other than that, I'm zeroing in on the oxtail! The place is really cafeteria-style. You get your own utensils and carry your food to the table. But, it's a comfortable place. And, the staff was very friendly and pleasant. I must warn about parking, though. There isn't much of it. I can't parallel park to save my life, so, unless you are very comfortable maneuvering in tight spots, I wouldn't recommend trying to find parking in the lot next to the cafeteria. I think street parking is a better bet. Most importantly, don't forget to grab the white bread wrapped in a white wrapper from the counter as you place your order! It's part of the experience! Overall, I recommend Masa's Cafeteria. I'm sure their other dishes are great, but, as for me, I've found happiness in a bowl of oxtail soup! Enjoy!

• Visited March 2013

“Never leave hungry...”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I remember going to Masa's for parties when i was growing up...with live music on the stage of the cavernous room. It looks like the stage hasn't been used in years but the food is still the awesome.

This is a place to go when you are hungry. Food is good and they fill up your plate with whatever you order. When I say fill up I mean load up until it is overflowing. It was funny the first time I went there i was shocked how much food they could get into the takeout container...then when I paid the cashier told me, "Don't forget your bread!" They have two slices of bread with butter in white packages near the end of the line for you to add to your already sumo sized meal.

Not fine dining but satisfying lunch when I am really really hungry...

• Visited November 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
“You want good local style food you must come here !”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

Most locals know for a good home cooked local meal you come to Masa's . Big portions, reasonable prices, dine in or take out you won't be disappointed. My favorite is the ox tail soup or chicken Hakka. Try it once and you will be back! Parking can be a challenge but well worth it.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank F5993GMericd
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Huge lunches, good food”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Nobody walks away from this place hungry, they pile on the food. They’ve got a different menu for each day of the week, and specials that they don’t put on the menu. You have to call in for the specials but they usually put the same ones on the same day each week like shoyu pork on Thursday. I love the corned beef and cabbage on Wednesdays and the sweet/sour spareribs or Korean fried chicken on Friday. Only open M-F, not on weekends. The staff is friendly and they work hard. It’s funny, they take their vacation all at the same time so you might go there and it will be closed with a sign on the door saying “gone to Vegas” back in two weeks. The interior isn’t much to look at, a big open room with plastic tables and chairs but you go for the food. The prices have been going up lately but you still get a good value for the food and I like that they’ll substitute brown rice or salad for the white rice if you ask for it.

4 Thank JJones808