“First time surfers”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We had an awesome time learning to surf with Ethan, Nick, & Joey!!! Ty's surf school provides an exceptional experience. They tow you out, set you up and give you easy instructions. Our family of four all got up, some more than others, but we all had a great time. The guys there are really thoughtful they had warned us that the waves weren't as good as they would like and if it didn't work out we could reschedule. It was our son's 17th birthday and he had really wanted to do this so we were so happy it worked out! We all had a great day!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

this first time 50-something surfer gal had a great experience with Ty and Ethan leading our group of 3 on an awesome surfing lesson. a quick dry land lesson, and we were in the water in minutes. the guys helped with the most tiring part, the paddling. with their excellent instruction, each of us was immediately successful in getting up on some of Waikiki's gentle waves. everyone we met in the Ty Gurney Surf School staff was very friendly, helpful. we were impressed by the high degree of professionalism all the way around. if you are considering a surfing lesson, I would HIGHLY recommend Ty Gurney.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was lucky enough to have as my private instructor Ty Gurney himself. He was awesome - a great instructor, super friendly and fun, and very encouraging. With his great instruction, I was able to get up on the first and every wave!! Experience of a lifetime! We also opted for the video/photograph package which was absolutely worth it. 83 East created a great DVD of my experience, which is really fun to show family and friends. We even got to hang with infamous surfing wonder-dog Gracie. Next time I'm in Waikiki I'm taking another lesson from Ty's school. If you have an itch to try surfing, go to Ty Gurney's school. By far the best around!

TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Gracie says aloha and thank you for the shout out! See you again soon for another fun session.

Duncan

Reviewed November 8, 2013

As a first time surfer here in Hawaii, I had a phenomenal experience from Ty and Ethan of Ty's surf school. We had a group of 3girls of various ages surfing. the surf shop brought 2 surfers from Ty's surf school to give us individual attention the entire time. Although the waves weren't the biggest by any means, these boys towed us around the coast where the waves were. Then they gave us a push when the waves came so we could catch the waves. Ty and Ethan are excellent instructors and all around great guys. Because of their instruction we were each able to stand up and surf multiple times. 55minutes of the lesson was spent in the water! Prices were reasonable, especially for the full amount of time spent in the water and the one on one attention that was given. It was so much fun! I HIGHLY recommend Ty Gurney's surf school!!

1  Thank SurfOhiogirl
TGSS808, Owner at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review my school. Ethan and I had a blast taking you ladies out. Even when the waves look small you can still go out there and have a blast. That's why I GUARANTEE that everyone will surf on their first lesson!

Come back and surf with us again soon!

Ty

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Shaka surf fans!
I had a superb experience from start to finish at Ty Gurney's Surf School and would highly recommend it! I had surfed before and taken group lessons at several different places and I will say that my private lessons with Joey were the best ever - he knows how to teach surfing technique, whether you are a beginner or someone who has surfed before; he was always patient and encouraging; he knows the reefs where we surfed like the back of his hand and he selected waves that progressively helped me gain confidence and learn vital surfing skills for being able to surf by myself. This was key for me as I live in SoCal and wanted to surf regularly, but I needed to learn the fundamentals. With each wave I fell more and more in love with this sport! I have surfing in my blood! I came with the intention of taking only one lesson and ended up taking 3 private lessons! It was an exhilarating and spiritual experience and I will definitely come back to take more lessons from Joey during my next trip to the islands!

Additional positives about the Ty Gurney Surf School include the following:

1. Surfing location is away from the crowds and yet still conveniently located in the Waikiki area and very near the beach - great spot for people learning to surf.
2. Duncan and the staff that I met during the 3 days I surfed were always warm, personable, organized, professional, and fun to be around!
3. The equipment is in great shape - no beater boards here.
4. As others mentioned, they bring the equipment to the surf location and tow you out to help you keep your energy for the rest of the surfing experience.
5. They keep your personal gear at the shop safe while you are out having fun surfing!
6. They exemplify living ALOHA at this shop!
7. Good value and price for the surfing experience.

If you are near the south side of Oahu, I would highly recommend surfing with Ty Gurney's Surf School! Happy surfing everyone!

Kaya,

This review speaks for itself. You are the personification of "stoked". I am so happy that you have caught the "surf bug" and have already started looking into getting your own board. Please stay in touch and let me know if there is anything at all we can help you with!

Mahalo from your TGSS family,