“Great surf school”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great surf school”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

From start to finish the staff were great and really look after you.the surf was amazing and I would recommend this school to anyone. Tim and Brian were the instructors and could not be more helpful

Visited October 2013
TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Jonny-

Thanks for the awesome review for Tim and Brian. Hope you aren't missing the warm Hawaiian sun too much over there in Birmingham!

Tara,
Duncan

“Surfing experience like no other”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I have never surfed before so of course you're a bit nervous.. Don't know what to expect or how to even do anything.. This school offers something that others will never.. One on one, all the attention on your needs... They take you out of the chaos of the big city and you really get to experience surfing as it should be! The staff has a small town feel, very warm and laid back vibe. Great experience and for the price.. Can't go wrong

Visited October 2013
Glad you felt at ease both in the water as well as in our shop. We are proud to have such a unique place for our students to congregate both before and after their lessons.

Mahalo nui loa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exactly what I wanted in a surf lesson!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

If you want a one on one experience with a fun surf instructor, this is the place to go! I got everything out of it that I wanted. Katie is an awesome instructor and I had a ton if fun! Plus she's very knowledgable about the area so even when we weren't catching waves, she was fun to chill with! You won't be sorry :)

Visited September 2013
Aloha VolleyWolf- This is Katie, your instructor. I just wanted to say thank you for your review and I am so glad that you had a blast surfing with me!

Best Regards,
Katie Paun
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The best surf lessons!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We visited Hawaii in August 2013 and wanted to do surf lessons we went with Ty Gurney Surf School after seeing the reviews and were not dissapointed. There was two of us and we had the private lessons.
The surf instructors were excellent and helpful. Better than surf lessons we have had in NZ.
Would highly recommend! cannot wait to receive our dvd :)
THANKYOU :)

Visited August 2013
TGSS808, Owner at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Aloha our Kiwi friends-

Thank you for the positive review. We just took some students out from New Zealand that read your review and chose our school because of it! Stoked!

Ty G
Dallas, Texas
“First time stand up paddle boarding great success”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've been wanting to try stand up paddle boarding for several years now but was hesitant because the difficulty level was hard to gauge by merely watching others doing it (at age 54 I'm more cautious about any new sports I try!). On my last visit to Hawaii in August, the early morning paddle boarders off Waikiki Beach convinced me it was time. I'm happy that I had the presence of mind to request a lesson at the concierge desk of my hotel; they recommended Ty Gurney Surf School. I pre-paid for a one-hour lesson for me and a girlfriend (we left the husbands at the pool), and the entire experience was fun and problem-free. Our instructor met us on the beach in front of our hotel, showed us the basics on the sand, then helped us each into the water with our boards. We both caught on quickly, both fell only once, and both feel perfectly comfortable renting boards from Ty Gurney in the future when we are visiting without the need for another lesson -- in fact, we'll teach our husbands next time. The #1 reason we are glad we took an introductory lesson was that we learned about the water -- our instructor was quick to point out the shallow areas with lots of sharp coral that would be a painful place to fall off our boards. If a boat passed by, or a brisk wind came up, and we were over those areas, we played it safe and went to our knees if we started to feel unsteady. We wouldn't have known to do that if we hadn't had a lesson. I highly recommend Ty Gurney and would use them again to rent equipment and learn other water sports.

Visited August 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Thank you for your review on our SUP lessons here in Waikiki. With SUP becoming more and more popular we are focused on making sure we teach all our students the basics so that they can rent one anywhere else they might travel.

Duncan Hildreth