“Superb family fun and great people”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Superb family fun and great people”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Myself, my wife and our 2 boys (13 and 11) had a one hour surf lesson. All of us had an absolute blast, my 2 kids were up and surfing very quickly as was my wife - I was not so good but even so I had a great time. Staff are very friendly and made our time really good fun.

Would strongly recommend Ty Gurney school. We went as friends recommended it to us after they went the yer before and it was as excellent as they said it would be

Visited August 2013
TGSS808, Owner at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for the great review. Word of mouth is so powerful when it comes to activities and choices while on vacation.

Sites like TripAdvisor and the reviews have allowed so many people to find us that would not have otherwise. So thank you for paying it forward and reviewing my school.

If you ever make it back out from the east coast please call ahead so that we can set you guys up a head of time! Have a great day!

Ty

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Excellent school! Had a great time and lots of fun!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

The whole family traveled to Hawaii, we are 6 people and the kids range from 14 to 22 years old. Lets start from the moment I made the reservation, I called about 3 weeks before and the reservation processes went without a problem. They have a few programs available that range from an open class to a private one. I settled on a semi private two hour class, two students per teacher so each of us would have more time to trie to stand up, they have a guarantee that you WILL stand up before the classes end. Our class was at 11 am, we got there 10:45 the registration was fast, easy and a lot of fun, there I met Duncan and he really took care of us. He introduced un to our instructors and away to the beach we went. The registration process takes care at the office that is situated 100 yards tops from the beach. After a few minutes of a safety talk we started the class with the basics at the beach, all were very well explained and we took all the advice given very easy. After the class on the beach we headed to the water, the instructors were very helpful and help us get to the were the waves are, believe me, if they don't help you, you would end the run there, it is very tiresome to swim against the current. Once at the wave place everybody was exited and ready to go! I got to stand up on my second wave! I was thrilled and and happy to be able to do so so fast, I'm pretty sure that all the tips and the class had a great impact on my learning. I am happy to tell you that everybody in my family got to stand up so we had a great time. The two hours went really fast. A the end of the class we were as happy as we could and really tired. It was sad to see the class end but it was well worth it. All the instructors were really patient, really nice people teaching what they do best! I have just nice words for all of them, this is one famili experience that I will never forget and a good portion of that is thanks to the professionalism of all the people in the Ty Gurney surf school. Thank you very much guys for the great time and I am sure that when I get back to Hawaii I will definitely will be back for another great time with you! Thanks a lot!!!

Visited July 2013
TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for the kind review.

The feedback allows us to know in what areas we are excelling.

We stand by our "Guarantee to Surf" motto as we truly believe anyone can surf with the proper instruction.

Being professional and courteous to everyone of our clients is backbone with which we operate on. I certainly hope that you come back again in the near future.

Make sure to consider one of our EPIC Surf Safari's the next time you visit (Full Day Surf Tour of the Island)

Mahalos,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Surf School Exellent with Kids”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Our 5 yo daughter and I booked in for a 1 hour surf lesson, we had Ty and Joey as the instructors. Ty has an infectious enthusiasm for teaching surfing, he has a busy surf school but you feel as if you are his only lesson for the day, unhurried and very professional throughout. I got up almost from the first wave and I have to say it was in no small part to the expert pointers.

My wife and I had some reservations about letting our 5yo daughter go out into the surf zone but after seeing a video of the a few other little ones I was convinced that these guys know how to look after the little ones. She had Joey as an instructor who sits on the back of the board with them the entire time, She had a smile painted on her face the entire 60 minute session - she didn't even get her hair wet!

These guys are great if you have ever wanted to learn how to surf Hawaii is the place and this is the school.

Visited August 2013
Rock on guys! Thanks for the awesome review.

I am so happy that Joey and I got to surf with you two.

Kids are so fun to teach as the joy of riding a wave for the first time literally shows in their smiles! Uncle Joey certainly has a way with making sure all of our "groms" have the experience of their young lifetime!

Hope to have you come surf again soon!

Ty
HK
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Guaranteed to surf on day one”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Booked the kids in for a lesson and straight away they could surf. They enjoyed it so much they went back for more lessons on subsequent days. I felt my kids were in safe hands at this school. They also took snaps and videos of the surfing which was really useful. Highly recommended.

Aloha-

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our school. We certainly know we are doing great things when students come back day after day! I believe that with continued hard work and dedication to teaching our students the proper technique, while having a blast out in the water, we will be able to help create a whole new generation of surfers!

Mahalo for your business and support-

Calgary, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome and laid back”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Took a 1 hour lesson for myself, and my two kids that are 14 and 17. For three of us we had 2 instructors which was awesome cuz I didn't have to worry about my kids being watched over while I tried to survive myself. We did a quick orientation on the beach, and we quickly set out for a surf. We were pooped from paddling out, but it didn't matter cuz the guys gripped their feet onto our boards and drug us out, almost every time. When the wave came the instructors told us when to start paddling and when to get up, and we were elated after all of us got up the first time! I can only remember one instructors name - Ethan, but they were both awesome and very laid back. They were patient and very encouraging. We booked last minute and they easily accommodated us. It was our first time to surf and because of them it won't be our last. Highly recommended!

Alex,

Thank you for taking the time to review our school. Reviews like yours are vital to helping our school grow. Mentioning the fact that we "tow" out all our guest to the line up is fantastic as we are the only school that offers such VIP treatment out to break. Keeping our student to instructor ratio very low enables us to offer up the types of services that we provide during our lesson. I'll let Ethan know he is doing a great job.

Thanks again,