“Absolutely awesome people”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Nottingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Absolutely awesome people”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

These guys are seriously awesome!

We went for a semi-private lesson on our honeymoon (1 instructor to 2 learners) and we had Jack as an instructor but Ty himself was hanging around at the store and was kind enough to come out for the first half of our lesson! That made it 1 on 1 instruction which is definitely the way to go! We had a very short briefing on the beach and once they saw we were reasonably athletic they got us straight in the water - wasting no time at all getting to the fun!

Having an instructor each meant we were able to catch more waves and have way more fun - I would recommend it to anyone!

Jack was a great guy and was willing to chat whilst waiting for waves, very friendly and approachable. We also had James out videoing for us and that guy is insane! Literally gets you to surf right over him for some amazing shots!

Unfortunately my wife got sick after about an hour or so - Ty was kind enough to get her safely to shore and she settled down before I went back in. We bought them some beers as a tip to say thank you.

I would recommend these guys to anyone and if it wasn't for such a packed trip we would have gone back for more lessons!

Thanks guys you were great!

Visited April 2013
TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you very much for your review of our school. The mention about the private lessons is very helpful as we believe that private instruction is absolutely the way to go. It's the best way to get the most out of your experience on the water. Thanks again for the creative "tip" :-)

Hawaii Kai, Hawaii
“If I could rate this higher I would !!!!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

FANTASTIC! I searched out other schools for the girl's surf lessons. The oldest had tried surfing before, but the other two had not. I wanted someplace that would start from scratch. Upon arriving, I asked the concierge desk & a few locals. They recommended Ty. The girls had a blast with the 1hr lesson & were up and surfing! We ended up getting a 2 hr lesson the following day (although it wasn't needed). Video we received & the pics they took while the girls were out were AWESOME! Thanks guys! Well worth the money & less expensive then what I saw of the places set directly on the beach.

Aloha Cathy,

I appreciate your positive review of our school and 83 East productions. It's great to find out that both the concierge services and the "locals" recommended us. When your keiki want to come back and surf with us please ask about our new Kama'aina rate!
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“TY Guerney Surf School THE BEST!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I grew up in Hawaii and never attempted to surf. Even now, living in Los Angeles, where the ocean is so close, I've never attempted to get on a surf board. My family spent spring break in Hawaii and we took our first surf lessons with Ty Guerney and his AMAZING surf instructors ANd camera team. My kids, ages 4 and 8, were absolutely HOOKED and are BEGGing to go back for more. Each instructor was fabulous...especially for my 4 year old daughter who was not 100% water safe. My 8 year old was up on his board on the first wave ,and even mom and dad (45-55yr olds) were up and riding the waves!! The "aloha spirit" that I grew up with and KNOW WELL is definitely a part of this company. MAHALO for the BEST experience and one of our most MEMORABLE vacations EVER! Can't wait to go back...and can't wait to see the photos/video..

THANK YOU!!!!! The Faucher Family...Kim.,Cory, Kainalu and Kahala

Aloha Kim!

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are very proud of the "aloha spirit" that you mentioned. It's so important to make sure that everyone that walks through our doors gets the same feeling from us. Please tell Kainalu and Kahala we said hello!!!!!

Many Mahalos,
Duncan Hildreth
Durango, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“These guys rock! They simply are the best... especially for kiddos.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Before our trip, I searched/reviewed surf companies/lessons for our 9 year old son. Especially loved Ty Gurney’s website and reviews on Trip Advisor and Yelp, so inquired with them about booking lessons in advance. Duncan responded quickly and was very helpful answering all my questions. When we came for the lesson, everyone was awesome, positive, helpful and generous. Our son thought he wanted to start tandem, but they said he would be fine and headed out for his 2 hour lesson with Joey, surf instructor extraordinaire. We watched our son get up right away and continued to get up and surf the whole lesson. At one point, my husband paddled out and our son said with a huge grin that surfing was awesome and asked if he could rent a board for the whole day. We splurged and got video from Troy and James of 83 East Productions at Ty Gurney's shop, which was well worth having the visual memory. In the end our son loved it so much he did a second lesson on the day before we headed back home to Colorado. Flying home, he already asked when we are going back so he could surf with Joe. Truly, these guys are great. Book with them, you won't regret it

Europe
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great and fun!!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had so much fun learning surfing!!!
The staff is great and the video was a plus for us!!!
Great place !!