“Excellent experience for young teens!”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Surfing was the one thing I told my 14 year old daughter I would not do so in Hawaii, so I was planning to put her some group lessons. So glad we ended up going with private lessons at Ty Gurney. What I realize now is surfing is both an endurance and technical sport so one on one allows the instructor to physically help, from pushing you on to a wave or towing you out as well as giving you the technical know-how. She had an excellent experience catching on very quickly. We decided to do a second private and worked out a package that worked both for my daughter and my pocket book. I thought the staff really wanted my daughter to have a good experience, doing some extras that only a small business has the flexibility of doing. We then came back and used one of their boards another day, and although she was surfing on her own, she surfed in the same area as the instructors giving lessons, so I felt she was not totally alone out there, but rather with a community of surfers. The staff were all very friendly and supportive. For a young teen, this is really the way to go. Highly recommended!

TGSS808, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Many mahalos for taking the time to write about you and your daughter's experience here with us at Ty Gurney Surf School! Hope she caught the "surfing bug" and continues to take any opportunity she might have to paddle out.

Duncan

There are newer reviews for Ty Gurney Surf School

Reviewed March 16, 2013

What an awesome experience! The day we were scheduled to surf it was pouring rain, but Ty and James still took us out, had an amazingly positive attitude, and got us both up surfing very quickly. They were incredibly patient and an absolute blast to be with. We want to go back to Waikiki just to surf with them again! We also love the pictures that James got of us! Can't recommend them highly enough to anyone looking for a fun surfing time in Oahu!

Rachel,

Thank you for coming out to surf with us over Spring Break. I was happy you mentioned that regardless of the rain you can still go out and have an amazing time surfing! James, with 83East Productions, also wanted to say aloha and is stoked that you enjoyed your surf session pictures! Have a great summer!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The staff was great to deal with, All three young adults with us got up and surfed their first wave. They spent 2 hours surfing with them. They also did a video of them. Two other from our group did the stand up paddleboarding and had a good time with that. Would recommend them if you want an introduction to surfing.

Thank you very much for the fantastic review. We are very pleased to know the kiddos had a blast with us out at Pop's! If you ever make it back out to Oahu please look us up and check out our Facebook page for special deals and promotions! Aloha

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Everyone at Ty Gurney Surf School was super-nice, enthusiastic, and helpful. It was money well-spent. I had the best time, and Ty made surfing seem incredibly simple and doable. I was able to get up right away on the board, and take his instruction to keep improving throughout the morning. He even gave me an extra hour free since he had a new instructor that was shadowing our lesson, so I got a bonus hour to catch even more waves. I am so glad I made sure to get a lesson in before I left Waikiki.

Duncan H, General Manager at Ty Gurney Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Melissa, I am super happy that you enjoyed your lesson with Ty! We look forward to having you back in the future. Have a great summer!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Got a one hour one on one lesson with former pro surfer. super friendly and knowledgeable, we only spent less than ten minutes on land and the rest of the time catching waves. Was able to get up on my first wave thanks to his excellent instruction. The only reason I didn't do a second hour was because my arms were tired.

I originally planned on doing a group lesson with strangers at another company but I think this is possibly the best value. More individualized instruction and more waves. Definitely worth every penny. I'm confident enough to go out surfing on my own now.

Waikiki might not have the best sights, but you're there to surf, not to go bird watching, and it's perfect for that. overall excellent experience. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Eric, Thank you for the positive review. I'm glad you mentioned the difference between the often sold "group" lessons versus the money well spent on a "private" lesson with us. Joey came back to the shop and told me how well you did out there. We all look forward to having you back out on the waves with us one day! Take care bud! Aloha