“Yes yes yes yes!!!”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Reviewed November 18, 2011

You're probably reading this thinking "as if they could get ME up on waves". Believe me so did I, but these guys will make it happen! They do all the paddling (my sister, my dad and I each had our own instructor- I'm not sure what the case is for group lessons), to save our arms and legs, and the. They help you pick the best waves and set you on your way! And best of all all the guys out there love what they do and have so much fun! They make you feel like absolute stars (and pro surfers!!) even though you probably look ridiculously un-coordinated.
The only place for surf lessons in Waikiki! We surfed with Ty and Joey, request them if you get a chance!
We had a ball!!! Thanks so much Ty gurney surf school, we will be back a third year in a row, no question

And make sure you get the video! It sounds expensive at first but it is SO worth it, the video and photo memories are hilarious and you'll never get anything else like it!

All reviews
"fun experience"
"highlight of our trip"
"bucket list"

Reviewed November 3, 2011

I've always wanted to go surfing but for some reason thought it would be much, much harder than it actually is. We went for a group lesson with 6 people, all going for the first time, and it was an absolute blast - one of the highlights of this trip to Hawaii for sure. We had three instructors for our group which was nice, and I was able to get up every time aside from the first. Everyone in our group got up at least once aside from my friend who got motion sickness and had to get out of the water early. I was mainly with Ty, who is very friendly and did an awesome job instructing when to get up. If you have any interest in surfing whatsoever, don't hesitate on taking a lesson and go with these guys - they are the real deal! I would definitely go back for an intermediate lesson if I ever get the chance.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

If you were thinking about doing a surf instruction course while in Waikiki I would definately recommend Ty Gurney surf school. My wife & I went and were surfing in no time (15 mins). Great instructors. They worked well with different learning styles and only encouraged us to do better when we wiped out. Great manager named Duncan. We had such a great time we ended up going again.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

While planning our honeymoon, my husband thought it would be fun to take surf lessons in Waikiki. I was lukewarm on the idea, thinking that it would just be an hour of falling off a board into the water. He booked our lesson at Ty Gurney Surf School for yesterday.

We arrived at the Surf School and I was warming up to the idea of surfing a little bit more. Duncan the manager was super friendly and introduced us to our instructors Joey and Matt. Because we were the only students at that hour, we each got our own instructor.

Joey took us on the short walk to the beach for a land lesson. He taught us how to get on the board properly, and the steps toward standing. Neither of us had touched a surf board before so this was very helpful. This was a 5 minute instruction and then we were ready for the water.

Joey and Matt helped us get out to the water and we were ready for our first waves. I had Joey as my instructor, my hubby had Matt.

Joey set me up for my first wave, told me to paddle and told me when to stand. I stood up and to my utter shock- I actually rode the wave for quite awhile before falling off! We repeated this for an hour- I would ride a wave, Joey would come get me and bring me back out to catch another. I was amazed at how successful I was- sometimes not even falling off the board, just riding out the wave and then laying back down. And what a rush!

Watching my husband, I could see that he was doing well also. Matt and Joey were such great instructors- making sure we were safe and encouraging us at the same time. Giving tips on balance, where to look while riding, steering, you name it.

Saying that we are now hooked on surfing would be putting it mildly. I can't wait to do it again. If you are planning a trip to Waikiki you have to take a surf lesson- and you have to do it at Ty Gurney. The private attention, helpful and friendly staff made it such a fantastic experience. There was no touristy feel- this was the real deal. So GO.