“Great surfing experience!”

Ty Gurney Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ty Gurney Surf School specializes in luxury private surf instruction on the island of Oahu. We customize our surf lessons to each individual, ensuring that students of all levels maximize their surfing experience on the best waves in the world. Our expert instruction guarantees all students will be surfing on their very first lesson!
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great surfing experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Ty Gurney surf school is a great place for anyone who wants to learn to surf. My son & daughter took lessons a year ago and when we returned this year they knew they wanted to surf with them again. We did the one hour private lessons. The instructors are really good with kids, making them comfortable and really encouraging them. My kids said they were also really funny. I would also highly recommend getting the video if the photographer is out there with you taking footage. It is very professional and a wonderful memento. It's the only way to get a sense of the speed of surfing, and you can't beat having Diamond head as a backdrop if you surf in Waikiki! I grew up in Hawaii, and I have to say that these guys definitely embody the spirit of Aloha!

Visited August 2011

Savannah, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“The best surfing experience you can think of.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was going to Hawaii to visit friends and put surfing on my list of top things to do while here. They weren't as excited as I was to do this adventure, and thus I did it alone. If you look online or in the phone book there are lots of options to choose from. I took a chance and just picked this one. I couldn't have picked a better experience or a better teacher. I don't know if he was having a slow day or what, but I had a personal surfing day! I paid for 4 or 6 hours, I forget which... and That is exactly what I got. It was amazing. I have surfed before, so I wanted to take it up a notch. I asked him if we could skip Waikiki beach and go strait to north shore. It was awesome. It -To Date- Is the best surfing tour I have done. It was the best day. If your looking for a knock your socks off surfing experience with someone who is knowledgeable, talented, kind, and fun ~ you've chosen the right guy. This is a day you will never forget.

Visited August 2010
Jersey (Channel Islands)
“A friendly and fantastic team. 10/10!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

Ty's crew were great! Very friendly and welcoming from the start. I've surfed a little before but didn't know the area nor had I ever surfed on a reef break before. I took a 1 hour 1:1 session to get my confidence up and then kept going back to hire a board to get back out there. Training and advice from the guys was spot on. If Ty's guys take the camera out with them, definitely buy the results: I now have a perfect momento of a fantastic time on the islands. The only down side: tough to make the decision as to which resultant photo to use for my Facebook profile picture! ;o)

Chicago, Illinois
“Absolutely terrific!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I signed up for solo lessons because I'm in my mid fifties and didn't want to hold back a group. It was a terrific experience. Ty has a positive attitude and is spot on in his teaching technique. He went through some drills on the beach and then we went right out. He was particular about location because he doesn't want his students getting banged up on coral or shallow bottom which I appreciated. I got up on the first wave and with each ride, Ty gave me pointers and ways to improve. It was a blast.

Calgary
“If you want to learn to surf, Ty Gurney Surf School is the only choice!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

If surfing is on your list of things to do while in Honolulu - then Ty Gurney Surf School is the only place to go. I just finished surfing with Ty and his instructors in the last two weeks and it was an amazing experience! The instructors are incredibly talented, patient and entertaining. I officially caught the surfing bug and will be back for more! Thanks again to Ty, the staff and of course the shop dogs (Gracie and Chuck).