“Good Times!”

Maggie Joe Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Deep sea fishing Oahu's fine Hawaiian waters for over 60 years. Maggie Joe Sport Fishing has the experienced crew you need to bring in the big ones. Whether you want to go deep sea fishing, shark fishing or just take a sunset cruise we can help you out. Both private and shared charters are available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We (my husband and I) booked a full day, shared charter online and received our confirmation email back the same day. The day before going out we also received a confirmation call. We arrived at the dock and were greeted warmly by the crew and escorted aboard, where the Captain went over safety before departing the harbor. We ran into some unexpected heavy rains, but that cleared and then the fishing was on! Between our party we caught MahiMahi and Aku, and I was really impressed at crew members Bill and Mark's (I hope I've remembered them right!) efficiency. They got us right in the chair and guided us every step of the way to landing our fish. They helped us pose with our fish as it was brought on board and then quickly got them in the hold and on ice. I was really impressed with how well they worked together to then cleaning the deck and making sure the lines were back out in the water. They and Captain Mike were terrific about conversing and answering any question that came up. Upon arriving back at the dock our fish were measured and weighed and then they allowed us lots of time to take our own pictures. My husband and I got seasick, but that disappated by the end of the day and we really did enjoy ourselves. There is a refrigerator for guests to put their lunch in, and a big cooler to keep your drinks cool. Expect to be barefoot while on the boat, and bring a towel and a sweatshirt or jacket. Maggie Joe, you rock :) We highly recommend, and we'll be back!

1  Thank Kimberly S

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Signed up for a half day trip in the afternoon went out for the full time and caught 0 fish. The crew changed the lure once, I am not saying I know more than these guys because it is defnelty different fishing compared to the Midwest, but all they did was sit up at the helm and talk, no interaction with the wife and I so we had to just sit down below watching the waves go by. Once back in port, the captains only reply was "better luck next time" :(.

I would advise taking a service that will give back some of your money$$$ if no fish are caught.

3  Thank Aaron B
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We can’t thank you and captain Daryl enough for the good time you showed us – despite some of us getting sick; we still had a fabulous time and many good ‘fish stories’ to tell…

We would not hesitate recommending you, Daryl, the ‘Maggie Joe’ to any of our family and friends for a truly great deep sea fishing experience. We hope to be back next year and call you again.

Please thank Daryl again for pampering the girls and looking after all of us. A big thanks to you too for all your hard work! You two are the best!!!

Reviewed November 26, 2012

I fished on the Maggie Joe back in 2001. The owner of the company was our captain and the experience was first rate. We caught fish, had a great time and would recommend the boat, company, people to anyone.
I went back to Oahu in November 2012 and tried to book the Maggie Joe and its crew. Unfortunately, the boat was dry docked for maintenance and state inspections. The supposed 2nd choice and different crew were just as accomplished, attentive, professional, and fun as the previous !! We caught a 160 lb marlin, 5 mahi mahi and a tuna. The boat keeps anything over 100 lbs (maritime protocall). The crew cleaned the smaller fish and we ate well for our vacation week.
We are headed back (God Willing!) in 2 years and are booking the company again !

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Recently I went fishing with the Maggie joe fishing company
had a good time but after landing a big one I was told I was not able to keep my fish AT ALL
because it was over 100 pounds the capt(company policy) keeps all fish over 100 pounds PERIOD so I am completely pissed off I didnt get any fish to take home

I was in Mexico some weeks before and they have it right you paid for the day to fish you get to KEEP ALL you just pay a small fee to cut and wrap

Who is paying for the fishing I am who keeps the fish they do
So basically you pay for them to fish
I will not return
be aware most fishing in Hawaii fork out $200+pp and get nothing but the privelage of reeling in the fish if your lucky enough
if you do get a smaller fish you only get 50% of it as well
whats the point!!

14  Thank flyguy747
drummersteph, Public Relations Manager at Maggie Joe Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Our company policy clearly states all fish over 100 lbs will be kept by the boat and crew. Hawaii is vastly different from Mexico. The Hawaii charter fishing industry standard is to keep ALL fish. By selling fish back to the market we supply a sustainable food source for Hawaii's population and curb what would be much higher charter prices if fish were not kept. Our policy allows for fish under 100 lbs. to be filleted by staff and shared with customers. This is not the norm in Hawaii.

Along with these benefits for Hawaii and the charter fishing community, Hawaii does not have the necessary infrastructure to process and ship fish like Alaska back to the Mainland. It is physically impossible for anyone to get a fish that large filleted, packed, frozen and shipped back to the mainland. We do not have any companies that do that sort of thing here in Hawaii. Because we understand customers are interested in this service. I have personally and unsuccessfully looked for a local company that processes individual large fish for several years. If it was possible, we would find a business solution to make it happen for our customers.