“great day of fishing only spoiled by my fish being kept by the Capt”

Maggie Joe Sport Fishing
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Deep sea fishing Oahu's fine Hawaiian waters for over 60 years. Maggie Joe Sport Fishing has the experienced crew you need to bring in the big ones. Whether you want to go deep sea fishing, shark fishing or just take a sunset cruise we can help you out. Both private and shared charters are available.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Recently I went fishing with the Maggie joe fishing company
had a good time but after landing a big one I was told I was not able to keep my fish AT ALL
because it was over 100 pounds the capt(company policy) keeps all fish over 100 pounds PERIOD so I am completely pissed off I didnt get any fish to take home

I was in Mexico some weeks before and they have it right you paid for the day to fish you get to KEEP ALL you just pay a small fee to cut and wrap

Who is paying for the fishing I am who keeps the fish they do
So basically you pay for them to fish
I will not return
be aware most fishing in Hawaii fork out $200+pp and get nothing but the privelage of reeling in the fish if your lucky enough
if you do get a smaller fish you only get 50% of it as well
whats the point!!

14  Thank flyguy747
drummersteph, Public Relations Manager at Maggie Joe Sport Fishing, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Our company policy clearly states all fish over 100 lbs will be kept by the boat and crew. Hawaii is vastly different from Mexico. The Hawaii charter fishing industry standard is to keep ALL fish. By selling fish back to the market we supply a sustainable food source for Hawaii's population and curb what would be much higher charter prices if fish were not kept. Our policy allows for fish under 100 lbs. to be filleted by staff and shared with customers. This is not the norm in Hawaii.

Along with these benefits for Hawaii and the charter fishing community, Hawaii does not have the necessary infrastructure to process and ship fish like Alaska back to the Mainland. It is physically impossible for anyone to get a fish that large filleted, packed, frozen and shipped back to the mainland. We do not have any companies that do that sort of thing here in Hawaii. Because we understand customers are interested in this service. I have personally and unsuccessfully looked for a local company that processes individual large fish for several years. If it was possible, we would find a business solution to make it happen for our customers.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

By far this was the most amazing exeperience I have had while deep see fishing. The crew of the Maggie Joe was top notch and I always felt like a true sportsman. Our party caught 11 Mahi Mahi and at all times everything was equitable and enjoyable. I would highly recommend Maggie Joe sport fishing to anyone and everyone and on my next trip to Oahu I will gladly book a magical experience with Maggie Joe Sport Fishing.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I want to thank the amazing captain and crew that guided our trip with Maggie Joe sport fishing. Not only did we catch a bunch of fish, but we met a captain and crew that truly cared about the experience we had and making it the best it could be! Thank you so much and I hope to see you all again on our next visit!

Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was a perfect Charter.We left out on time,caught live bait early on our way out.Weather was the best,sunny and a little breezy,no rain and the sea was fairly calm.We hooked up and reeled in 11 Mahi Mahi,not to mention a couple bigger strikes that went deep before breaking away.My cousin Jim and I had a fun time, we meet two couples,one from Texas,and the other from Idaho.Made for good conversation and the day flew by.Lastly we arrived back at the dock about 5:00 pm, and the Captain and his crew did a great job cleaning and filleting the fish.Then we took some more photos and its "Aloha" till next time.Thanks again all for a most enjoyable experience.
West Virginia Angler,Matt Speakman...

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked a trip for my husband on the Sunday for a full day shared fishing day. "no problem, we can get you with the other party" Arrive back to the hotel on Monday to find a message on our voicemail, called them immediately. Ginger on the phone said that the trip was cancelled as they're weren't any other parties to go - minimum four paying fishermen. I totally understand the fact that they must at least half fill a boat - it is a business after all - but what ticks us off is that the whole reservation was based on the inital lie....there never were any other fishermen. Called around quickly to find another shared charter for hubby, most were closed by this time, but did come across Magic Fishing Charters. Unfortunately, I did not catch her name, but I found her most professional and upfront in her manner. Right away she told us that they were completely booked until Saturday but they could guarentee a Saturday trip. Unless our flight is cancelled for several days (fingers crossed) we will already be back home by then.On our next trip to this beautiful island, we will look no futher than Magic Fishing Charters. Just to reiterate, we are not ticked off that the trip was cancelled due to numbers, we are ticked off by the inital lie - very poor business practice

2  Thank ou812ontario