“Outstanding experience”
Review of Kaimana Divers

Kaimana Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Unlock the power of the Ocean with a dive excursion with Kaimana Divers. Our daily dives get you out to the best reefs and wrecks Oahu has to offer. We dive ALL sides of Oahu and can organize to get even the most inexperienced divers ready to make incredible memories in only a few short hours. Dive Oahu with our passionate PADI instructors. We have the patience, professionalism and experience to make your day of diving the highlight of your vacation. Call today and see the amazing underwater world tomorrow!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Kaimana Divers was recommended to me by the dive shop where i got my PADI certification in Honduras, halfway across the world.
I came in with high expectations and i was wowed by two amazing days of diving.
Gabe is amazing and made sure that everything was easy. He got me onboard quickly and accomodated me even though i called late and had no equipment. Whether you are a seasoned diver or going for an intro, you will have a blast.
I was on two different boat each day, and Kevin, Denise and Jarrod made each outing a breeze. Boat captains and divemasters both were very welcoming, helpful and always smiling. They made sure everyone was comfortable on each dive and were always on the lookout for everyone. Boats were well stocked in snacks and water for the in between dives lull and they went out of their way to brief the group extensively on the features of each spot, despite some challenging conditons.

Very safe dives, great equipment, 7 turtles and a plane wreck later, i had my best diving experience so far. Go with Kaimana and you will not be disappointed!

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Fantastic Dive!”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My husband and I dove with Kaimana and had a fantastic experience! I was certified a year ago, but haven't had a chance to dive since, and they did a great job with a quick recap and getting me back in diving shape! We were able to see three sharks, and tons of gorgeous fish. I would highly recommend these guys for anyone who loves diving, you won't regret it!

Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Didn't blow me away”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I know that Kaimana gets amazing reviews, which is why I decided to dive with them on my trip to Honolulu. Perhaps my expectations were too high, or they were just having a bad couple of days when I dove with them, but I wasn't as wowed with them. Let me start by saying they do take safety to a very high level. I had already turned on my air, tested with 5 breaths through my reg and checked all my guages as I always do and then Drew came over and said he needed me to repeat the process so he could see it done again. They are stringent with buddy pairs--if your buddy needs to go up, you are going up too. Sucks if you get paired with someone less experienced and can't stay down as long as you. It was more protective sort of diving than I prefer. The first day we did Corsair (ok--but small plane) and then the second dive was just meh--yes, we saw turtles, but the coral was in horrible shape. I came up with over 1200 psi. Surely there are better sites? I really felt like it was chosen because it was easy for the captain and close to the first dive site. The tasty snack was a bag of oreo cookies. Time intervals between dives were too minimal for my comfort (29 min both days). Day 2, I did 4 dives. First 2 were fantastic, but they don't offer nitrox, so bottom time is limited quite a bit, sucks because Sea Tiger is a beautiful and fun dive. Second dive was good (Nautilus Reef). Snacks much better on this boat. This is the other thing--they don't own the boats, they charter, which can be fine if they have the whole boat...but my afternoon dives are why I don't think I would dive with Kaimana again...I admit, I really wanted to get back in the water for 2 shallow dives (how it was advertized), but we wound up on a catamaran with 3 other dive/snorkel shops! As I am paying for the dives (my gear is already on the boat), I was told that I am going to be grouped with an intro to scuba class! Honestly, had I known that the day before, I would have come up with a plan B. The diver in the class going into the ocean for the first time took 16 min. to get down the anchor line. Therefore, I spent the first 16 min of my dive circling around waiting for the instructor and student to get down. This is not what I paid for. On the plus side, the next 30 min was a nice dive. The student bagged the next dive, so it was just Drew and I for my last Oahu dive. Because we are on a group charter, we wind up going back to Nautilus Reef. Which I liked the first time, but wasn't so amazing I really wanted to dive it twice within 4 hours. Not sure why the captain couldn't have been approached to see if he would go elsewhere. Then, an instructor from a different dive op dropped her student off with Drew and I randomly about 2/3 of the way through our dive and now we have this guy to contend with, which changed the tenor of the dive, as he was not as comfortable in the water. She never came back for him. It was just really odd. Of course, you have to help out, but if you are the only op on the boat these things are not going to happen most likely.... Kaimana is a very safe op and their instructors know what they are doing. They did pick me up from the hotel, which was huge and they kept my gear overnight and rinsed it. I just had a very disappointing experience with the afternoon dives and it was a bummer too that they don't offer nitrox for the deep dives.

5 Thank Oceancat
Scottitheduck, Owner at Kaimana Divers, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Aloha Oceancat!

Thanks so much for your review. I'm so glad that you see that our guides are working hard to make your experience a fun and safe one. I would like to address a few things:

Our afternoon boat has always been a mix of students, intros and certified divers. For folks who want to get 4 dives in on a day it is our only option. We try to do our best to group divers according to skill and often times have a blast but when intros do need a bit of extra time I agree it can be a bit of a waiting game....... but hey, you are underwater breathing which I have always thought is awesome!

Next we never promise to visit different dive sites and I'm sure on the day in question you might have noticed other dive boats out there. If they are moored up on the other sites then yes, it is on occasion possible to repeat. There are 5 main dive sites on the south shore and more than 6 dives boats....... I know it's a bummer but I'm sure that if you explore a bit more the second time around you could see tons of critters you didn't see on first glance.

Finally, with regards to Nitrox I try to mention to all of our customers that they are welcome to dive it at any time on our charters. We cannot however arrange it for you. There are 2 shops very near to our townside harbor that offer it and guests in the past have taken their rental cars to and from those shops each day to pick up full ones and drop off their empties.

Since all of our dives are guided by PADI instructors we keep the profiles well within no deco limits. I agree that Nitrox can extend those bottom times a bunch but often times the short intervals are sufficient to get a nice long second dive even on air. Since we often times have folks who are prone to seasickenss and haven't experienced diving in Hawaii it is better to get those divers back in the water before they have a miserable ride hanging over the rail while everyone else dives the second tank.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you enjoyed diving with us!

Mahalo,

Gabe @ Kaimana Divers
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great dive experience!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I live on Oahu and have been diving with quite a few of the dive operations here. I would have to say these guys are my favorite. The Kaimana diver crew had a great attitude and took care of everyone's gear. The boat was very comfortable and wasn't overcrowded. The guides take diving seriously and grouped divers by skill level. They also don't harass any sealife, like digging octopus out of their holes. Highly recommend!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great time diving”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I recently got my open water certification from KD. They were professional and enthusiastic about diving. Gabe runs a good dive shop and Drew keeps thing running smoothly picking me up every day from my hotel navigating the congested hawaii traffic. I saw sea turtles, white tipped sharks and a octopus all while running through my requirements for certification. Kyle was patient with me as ran through my requirements. Dives lasted approximately 35-40 minutes each time.
Thanks guys can't wait to come back to hawaii and dive again with you

1 Thank Michael C