“I wanna go again!!”
Review of Kaimana Divers

Kaimana Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Unlock the power of the Ocean with a dive excursion with Kaimana Divers. Our daily dives get you out to the best reefs and wrecks Oahu has to offer. We dive ALL sides of Oahu and can organize to get even the most inexperienced divers ready to make incredible memories in only a few short hours. Dive Oahu with our passionate PADI instructors. We have the patience, professionalism and experience to make your day of diving the highlight of your vacation. Call today and see the amazing underwater world tomorrow!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I had a great time with Gabe and the crew of Kaimana! I made a last minute reservation and not only did they accommodate me but I also got a private dive since no one else had signed up! It had been 6 years since the last time I'd been diving and Gabe made it easy and stress free and pretty much awesome! I liked the small business, family-like feel of their outfit and definitely felt like I was just diving with a group of friends and not a loner on a big group dive. After this experience, it definitely won't be another 6 years before I dive again!!!! Thanks guys!

There are newer reviews for Kaimana Divers

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Based on a recommendation from a friend, I did an intro dive with these guys. I actually didn't know that you can do a real dive without the certification and would never have invested the time or money to go through all the courses without trying it once. I was happy being a land bound human but now I must fault Kaimana Divers because they are going to cost me a lot of money...after a day out with them I simply have to get certified and travel around the world doing more and more dives!

The whole experience was fantastic. From the moment I arrived Christine made me feel comfortable. She took away any hesitation I had before I even got into the boat. And when I was underwater she looked out for me and took every effort to ensure that all I had to do was remember to breathe and take in the amazing ocean life.

I'll definitely dive with them again if I come back to HI - next time fully certified!

1  Thank cauliflowertikka
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We met Gabe Scotti and Drew at the marina (Pirates Pier) at 7:30 am. We had a few others going out with us and we were split into two groups. .

The trip to the YO/San Pedro was quick. Maybe five minutes. The weather was perfect too. When we arrived it took a while to moor the boat because several other boats arrived in the area at the same time. We saw several sea turtles hanging out on the surface.

Although Gabe and Drew were totally laid back and easy going they were probably the most safety conscious dive guides I've been diving with. Even though my wife and I were certified PADI divemasters, they didn't take anything for granted regarding our dive skills. Once Drew was comfortable that we knew what we were doing, he allowed us more freedom, but I noticed he always had a keen eye on us throughout the dive.

During the dive we started out moored to the San Pedro. We made our way over to the YO. On the way we spotted a big sea turtle just hanging out on the bottom. I got a couple of good pics. Then we checked out the YO from stem to stern (or perhaps the other way around) and made our way back to the San Pedro. There we explored the wreck while accompanied by another sea turtle until it was time to head back up to the boat for some pineapple and soft drinks.

For our second dive Gabe had Captain Andrew take us to the "Secret Wreck." This is a tugboat (the Nashua) the Navy scuttled for dive training. The tug is pretty small and shallow so we made about ten laps around the thing. I saw a huge sea turtle hanging on on the bow. I also saw a cool starfish like critter called Crown of Thorns. Apparently the are bad for the artificial reef.

At the end of the dive we jetted back to Pirates Pier and off loaded gear. Gabe offered to take some of our gear overnight at the shop. So, we got a good rinse and hung everything up and left our BC's, regs, and suits with them.

The next day we finally got our chance to dive the Sea Tiger. We met Drew at a different dock (Ala Moana) and took a different boat by a different company. (Incidentally I wasn't impressed with this boat captain at all.) Just a quick boat ride away and we were ready to dive. This dive was pretty deep and there was a bit of a current but not bad. Drew took us down the line to the wreck. We got to see a nice frogfish. We also saw the biggest trumpet fish I've ever seen. It was easily 2 to 2 1/2 feet long. There was tons of life on the wreck.

I was kind of annoyed when we surfaced that no one on the boat bothered to get our fins. Drew offered to help, but being in the water with us, it really wasn't his responsibility. The snacks were okay. No soft drinks, but we did have cookies and, apparently, that's a big deal. (At least according to the author of the Oahu Guide I read.) The divemaster for the other group claimed to have seen a dolphin hunting during the dive. It's probably true since we could clearly hear them.

Our final dive on Oahu didn't seem like it would amount to much. In fact I've heard bad stuff about this spot on Trip Advisor. It was actually a great dive however. We saw two huge turtles, one of which was just sitting on the bottom, out in the open, and more than happy to let me take a close up. Around him were tons of lizard fish. More of those in that one spot than all the others I've seen total up to this point. We also saw two more frogfish and a dragon moral eel (which was hella cool.) After the dive we again had to fight out way back on to the boat with little to no help. In fact, the other DM from Kiamana divers was way more help to us than the captain or his mate (who we only saw like once - not sure where the hell he was hiding).

Also turns out that all of the DM's (including the one from the other dive company) were Oregon Ducks. Considering we are from Oregon we thought that was pretty cool.

Since we were so close to the harbor (we didn't go very far between dives) it was a quick ride back. We went back to the diveshop and rinsed our gear one last time and left a sticker on the rinse bucket. :)

Overall I'd give Kiamana Divers top marks for service and safety. I highly recommend them to anyone diving in Oahu. While they don't have their own boats (this is not uncommon in Honolulu) they take great care of you, even when the boat crew doesn't. If you're going to Oahu to dive, give Gabe a call, you won't regret it.

Scottitheduck, Owner at Kaimana Divers, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Aloha Rich.....

Man, it was so great to meet you and your family this past summer.... thanks so much for diving with us!

I wanted to let you know that the first boat you mentioned (when we did YO and Navy Tug) is now our only townside boat. We offer this up daily in the AM for advanced divers and in the PM for novices. We made the change shortly after you left and have never been happier.

Our customers seem to appreciate the change too as we no longer have to deal with the issues you mentioned earlier. Another great benefit is that we don't have to share boat seats with other organizations........ this leads to greater flexibility in dive planning and an puts the mana back in Kaimana! Not to mention fresh cut pineapple and an always stocked cooler of drinks.

Thanks again for the review and say Aloha to D'dee, Nick and Chris for me!

GO DUCKS!

Gabe @ Kaimana Divers

Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my second time diving with Kaimana Divers. I am an experienced diver and I HATE being treated like a newly certified diver. I HATE having my bottom time limited to the weakest diver in the group. I HATE surfacing with half a tank left. Kaimana Divers treats me like an experienced diver and allows me to enjoy my diving. At the same time, they also give their students all of the attention and instruction that they need. As an experienced diver, Gabe will always be my first phone call. He also is willing to take me to new places so I don't end up diving the same sites each trip.

2  Thank Eric G
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I dived with Kaimana in September with friends and had a fantastic time. The group of people they have are great and fun people to be around. We dove with Gabe and Liv and they are top notch guides. Being experienced advanced divers we appreciated being taken to some great sites. Having been exposed to many dive operators over the years, I would rank them at the top. If your an experienced diver, this group is who you want to use.

1  Thank RobP32655