“Don't get the hype”

Neighborhood: Waikiki
Newport, United Kingdom
“Don't get the hype”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

This place seemed hugely popular people were queuing to get in so decided to give it a go taking advantage of the happy journey from 5pm to 7pm. Tempura vegetables were ok and potato and cheese gratin although amazingly tasty the potatoes were way undercooked. Having alerted the waitress the dish went back to be cooked further but it was returned literally a minute later still undercooked - potatoes still felt hard! This is just not acceptable really.
Grilled Angus Sirloin steak ( $24 on HH, $48 normally) was gristly and bland bit of meat though all we could taste was the rosemary - too overpowering. Rosemary goes with lamb but not with beef and certainly not very Japanese!
Best bit was the $3 beer Sapporo but you have to order potato ad cheese dish to try.

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Napier, New Zealand
“Blown Away”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Strolling up Lewers Street looking for something light to eat as it was getting late and we had been on an plane for 6 hours. A very pleasant surprise to find this restaurant and just what we needed. Being at level 2 the crowds tend to miss this restaurant so it was relaxed with a steady stream of customers but no waiting. The service was excellent, speedy informative and attentive. We had Aburi Hamachi Roll with seared yellow tail and teriyaki sauce USD18 (delicious), Rekon Cheese Yaki with a blend of cheeses USD11 (subtle and quite different) and Tati Ika Sugata Yaki with garlic miso USD16 this was sashimi grade grilled squid and amongst the best I have tasted. Couldn't really fault, this restaurant is well worth searching out.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank NeilHBNZ
Victoria, Canada
“Great food, friendly service and an excellent price”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We ordered their top sashimi platter off of the special menu and it was very, very good. The awabe and everything else was very fresh tasting. The amaebi was just as good and better than many I have had in Japan. I highly recommend this plate if you have been to Japan and like the taste of authentic Japanese food. We then ordered an ebi karage and it was very meaty, fresh and tastey. I little greasy, but it's fried. This was excellent after the amaebi miso soup. Then we finished it off with buri daikon. It was a little strong, but very good. If you like Japanese food and haven't tried buri daikon, it is a different taste which I recommend you try! The service was friendly. The waiter was attentive and helpful. He knew the products well and gave sound answers to our questions. If you like sashimi and other real Japanese foods which are true to their origin in taste, I hope you have the opportunity to go to Kaiwa's!

• Visited April 2014
Vientiane, Laos
“A fabulous experience”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I'm not usually given to hyperbole but, if you are prepared to go outside of the box, a meal at Kaiwa will be enough to awaken the most jaded of palates.
I went to Kaiwai after a online search for the best sashimi in Honolulu. After a bit of searching and enquiring I found myself on the 1st (2nd if outside UK) floor of a rather pleasant shopping/accommodation development. From the outside Kaiwa is unremarkable. The difference is in the marvellous service and the outstanding food. I had the special house trinity sashimi which constituted gorgeous belly tuna, yellowtail and abalone. All was beautifully prepared but the abalone was served with its liver separated. I had never experienced such a beautiful taste and texture although I'm informed that many Americans don't care for it. I also had some gorgeously tender octopus and a squid dish exquisitely prepared with uni. After a discussion on my upcoming trip my waitress sorted out a taster menu of 3 different sakis. Delicious. All in all the bill was amazingly good value for money. Don't miss

• Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Excellent!”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Loved this place! It was definitely one of my favorite restaurants on the island. The service was great; the food was delicious! Everything was fresh and you can order healthy but fulfilling dishes. It definitely satisfied my picky Californian taste.

• Visited March 2014