“excellent”

Reef Pirates Diving
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Reef Pirates offers daily Oahu scuba diving trips and professional PADI scuba certifications. We operate our own dive boat and limit it to 6 divers plus crew for a more personalized, less crowded dive experience. We have an excellent safety record, and offer complimentary Waikiki hotel transportation with all our dive charters and scuba certification courses. We also offer private charters and multi day packages, as well as the latest equipment from Atomic and Cressi. Want to try scuba diving and not certified? We offer Discover Scuba Diving. Try diving in a safe, secure, and friendly way.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Thank you for your expertise and professionalism

with 3 days on Ohau to burn I was able to obtain the Padi open diver certification. Reef Pirates helped make that happen and accomodated my location and schedule. That's one less item on my bucket list! I like them so much I came back to try out some new gear.

to Kystal, Will and Laurie thank you for helping me safely " get down" and stay down.(well i'm still working on that)
to Chase and Zach thanks for the tips and getting us back in time for happy hour
and the boss Sean for responding to my requests in fashionable " island time"
(cute baby)

to quote Arnold " I'll be back!"

Thanks
Art R

ReefPirates, Instructor at Reef Pirates Diving, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2016

Aloha Art,

Thank you for your review of Reef Pirates PADI Open Water Certification Training. We are glad you enjoyed your class and dives and hope you will come dive with us again the next time you are in Honolulu

mahalo! the Reef Pirates Ohana

Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"awesome dives"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I was in town for a wedding (surprise) and had two mornings for diving.

Since I have some, but not a ton of dives, under my belt, I thought I'd see if I could get nitrox certification while I was out. Emailed Sean, who was responsive (unlike another dive shop I'd tried to contact), and got on the schedule. Easy and simple.

With my e-learning out of the way, I flew in, and the next morning, Krystal showed up right on time to drive me out from Waikiki. We picked up a couple of their club divers, also in Waikiki, and off we went. I really liked how they have a bit of community going on with the dive club (local folks can pay an annual fee and dive for a discounted rate). Made me feel much more like I was just going for a dive with some cool folks, as opposed to following the herd of tourists.

It's a pretty good sign that one of their club divers is actually a visitor - he only comes out a couple times a year, but he likes it so much, it's worth it for him to join.

On to the dives.
Day 1 was the Corsair, which was plenty cool (plane underwater!). Got the nitrox done with this one, which went without a hitch.
Day 2, we dove some sunken barges, wherein we had a little more adventure.

From the very top, Krystal called it - "We got sharks!"
Descending, we did have two white tipped reef sharks, lurking underneath the barge, swimming to and fro. A third one was resting on the ocean floor, next to the barge. As we got closer, it stayed motionless (sleeping?) but it became apparent from it's shredded left gill, and the fishing line tangled behind it, that it was pretty well stuck.

After some hand signalling revealed that no one had a knife/scissors/pliers, someone went back to the boat (from 100 ft under) to grab some. Somehow, Krystal managed to not spook the shark while she snipped the line further up. It took the poor guy a few seconds to realize he was free, but once he did, he gracefully straightened out, and slowly moseyed off into the blue. One of the more beautiful things I've seen, ever.

Sure, we saw turtles, eels, etc. But how many times can you say your dive crew saved a shark?

(Note: Since they are small, lend a hand with loading/unloading gear! Not required, but I'm sure it's appreciated.)

Aloha -

Thank you for your review. We take great care with our wild animals and rescuing animals from fishing line is a very delicate operation. We will assist the animal if we can do so safely (for both the divers and animal) and when we cannot, we will inform the proper authorities so they can send someone out to assist the animal.

We hope you will come diving with us again the next time you are on Oahu.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Reef Pirates is unique by only taking a maximum of 6 divers out at a time. I felt much more comfortable after diving in a small group. The crew is very friendly and helpful. I feel very confident that they could handle any emergency underwater. The dive sites they visit are great! I spent and entire week diving with them and I visited over 10 different sites. You will see many turtles, eagle rays, eels, octopus and if you are lucky, seals and dolphin. My favorite by far is the Corsair WWII aircraft wreck at 105 feet. If you are a local, this dive shop is the best to go to to avoid big crowds of inexperienced divers. If you are visiting, it is a great way to start out your day with a morning dive and have the rest of the day to enjoy the island.

1  Thank Paula R

Aloha Paula,

Thank you for your review of Reef Pirates Hawaii. We only take 6 guests out at a time to increase safety and customer service.

We hope you will come diving with us again the next time you are in Waikiki.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were a family of five - my 16 yr. old who is a certified rescue diver and 4 snorkelers aged 9, 18, 47 and 49 . Reef Pirates accommodated us so that we could be together. No other boat operator would take on both divers and snorkelers. Immediately we were impressed by the high regard for safety and the environment. It was important to us that our scuba diving son be with a Dive Master and Will was terrific. My son commented on how knowledgeable Will was about the various fish, turtles, rays, eels and other marine life that they came across. Chase was the pilot and remained on board checking for boats that may be venturing near our party, helping my 9 yr. old on and off the boat and generally just making sure we were safe. These two guys were professional, knowledgeable and really made sure we saw as much as we could. We have been on big tour operations for snorkeling and must say we will never go back to that type of operation. Can't imagine what a large tour scuba dive must be like but I am sure my son wasn't missing anything. If you want personalized service, a fun and safe diving experience using equipment that is in great condition, contact Reef Pirates.

Aloha Deb,

thank you for your review. We are so glad we could accommodate your family and that you had a great time. We hops you will come diving and snorkeling again with us the next time you are on Oahu.

mahalo - the Reef Pirates Ohana